Sign in to follow this  
Loopy2005

What is thought...

I just saw this thread. I know that it is one of the topics up for next year, so I was wondering what people's thoughts were on it...like? Dislike?

I just saw this thread. I know that it is one of the topics up for next year, so I was wondering what people's thoughts were on it...like? Dislike?

It *is* the topic for next year.

Too limited. Bet on seeing a million "Patriot Act" cases and variations of.

The idea of a civil liberties topic is really cool, but I think that the resolution is too limited to recent issues dealing with the Patriot Act and less on civil liberties in general. The topic could be huge, but i think it has been limited alot by the wording of the resolution.

i hate the idea of having this topic i think its just too into the whole legal part of the world and its gonna be big on T as freakin usual so i just think this is a crappy choice but i didnt like any of the last five either who the hell comes up with these horrible choices anyway? well at least this next year will be something that might actually change unlike this years, damn U.N,lol

Guest NIHILIST_SOPHIST
i hate the idea of having this topic i think its just too into the whole legal part of the world and its gonna be big on T as freakin usual so i just think this is a crappy choice but i didnt like any of the last five either who the hell comes up with these horrible choices anyway? well at least this next year will be something that might actually change unlike this years, damn U.N,lol

The t debate would have been worst on the fed elections debate - did u see the wording of that topic?

Big big jump from this topic to next years...

this gonna be another int'l topic

the resolution says nothing about in the US specifically, ergo, you will multiple versions of 2 affs

1. patriot act

2. guanatamo bay

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially decrease its authority either to detain without charge or to search without probable cause.

this is very broad. i can do something in anyplace america military occupy ad it would be legit

i personally would have preferred elections..the resolution gives two clear choices...bad for aff bc theres definitely going to be plenty of cp's..and it will be easy for them to say that we need to be stricter with our laws..

fed elections would give the aff more ground..theres more possible cases

and the aff will be predictable with civil libs

but hey thats just me:D

It *is* the topic for next year.

He heh....I realized this after I posted....*insert foot in mouth* :)

I don't like this topic because it doesn't require the affirmative to advocate a policy. I thought that's what CX was about.

Oh, well. Guess I don't have to worry about it (I do graduate this year).

Personally, I think there are going to be a lot of terrorism disads floating around (which is why I advocated fedelect)...

There are a few cases.

Unfortunately (for me) this topic tends to make c-p's a bit more difficult than on UN PKO's...but fortunately (for me) the resolution is a bit wordy, meaning there's more Ts to run. And of course, terrorism disads will be universally used. 2005-06 will be remembered as the Year of the Terrorism Disad.

"the resolution gives two clear choices...bad for aff bc theres definitely going to be plenty of cp's..and it will be easy for them to say that we need to be stricter with our laws..

fed elections would give the aff more ground..theres more possible cases

and the aff will be predictable with civil libs"

There being two choices doesn't necessarily mean that you are restricted to one or the other; you can combine both into ur case. Next, just because there are two areas cited in the resolution does not mean there will be a small amount of cases. There are so many ideas out there: Airport searches, Ashcroft stuff, Foucault/Biopower, Patriot Act, Drugs, Racial Profiling, Zizek (letter of the law), Inavde America, Guantanamo Bay, Abu Graib, Situation in Iraq, Computer Tracking/Hacking, border control. The topic also does not force u to establish a policy, which will make things a lot less predictable, more ppl might run less traditional affs. Its definitely not that predictable.

Yeah Lockes, Terrorism will be big. You could run terrorism combined with heg. on the neg. Ptx will be big as well i think.

"There being two choices doesn't necessarily mean that you are restricted to one or the other; you can combine both into ur case. Next, just because there are two areas cited in the resolution does not mean there will be a small amount of cases. There are so many ideas out there: Airport searches, Ashcroft stuff, Foucault/Biopower, Patriot Act, Drugs, Racial Profiling, Zizek (letter of the law), Inavde America, Guantanamo Bay, Abu Graib, Situation in Iraq, Computer Tracking/Hacking, border control. The topic also does not force u to establish a policy, which will make things a lot less predictable, more ppl might run less traditional affs. Its definitely not that predictable."

EITHER

the resolution makes you choose one or the other.

i kinda really wanted election reforms because that is something ive always wanted to happen, so i would have LOVED debating that. i think its true there wont be much predictabillity, but it always evens out because there are so many lazy asses who dont wanna make up there own case and plus you've always got off case, but there is gonna be an ass load of affirmative ground. ive already got several case ideas in mind.

also, i personally dont like the topic because civil liberties just piss me off... hell, america just pisses me off. ill just end up living in canada anyways...

Sign in to follow this