whatever, i'm psyched, first time goin to the SDI, but as for the people that have been there, (and other camps) how do the dorms and other things compare to camps, like Umich and northwestern and such?

y did u leave me

Can someone who is attending through the 5th week please PM me? Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What do most people do when the lab leaders give you break time? Do they let you go off campus? Also, do they ever let us go to the beach?

on the website it said that there are a variety of shopping and dining opportunities for us during scheduled breaks or something to that effect. so i'm guessing we can go off campus during break time and meal times. and....correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think there are lakes let alone oceans anywhere near lansing for us to go to the beach......

Two questions for those who have attended previously:

Is it really necessary to go through all the steps listed in the Information packet email last night? Will my laptop be infested with millions of viruses when I try to log onto the MSU network if I don't have any virus protection or a firewall?

Can I bring my own wireless network and set it up in the dorms (MNDI said NO last year, so I feel the need to check)?

• Downvote 1

Is it really necessary to go through all the steps listed in the Information packet email last night? Will my laptop be infested with millions of viruses when I try to log onto the MSU network if I don't have any virus protection or a firewall?

Can I bring my own wireless network and set it up in the dorms (MNDI said NO last year, so I feel the need to check)?

Well no, you won't be immediately infested with all kinds of new viruses and blue screen every two seconds. That being said, a good virus program is probably just a good idea as a general thing, wherever you are, obviously.

Second question, I'm not positive, but I think you can, because last year there were a lot of wireless networks floating around in the dorms from camp kids who set them up. That being said, you might just want to ask, I don't know if they were technically supposed to do that or not.

• Downvote 1

Nick, just get ZoneAlarm and you'll be fine. I'm pretty sure thats what they recommend. College networks are notorious for viruses so it's worth your time.

And yes, lots of people hat networks up last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Esp if you're not putting faith in the cafeteria food (which is honestly ok), you could bring some raman noodles and hot stuff, because you can rent a microwave. I've always kind of found it worthwile. Nothing is as worthwhile as the fan though. . . .nothing. . . .

Also, by the way, anyone know whether we're stuck in last year's location again? Because that really sucked.

can you get the fans there or do you need to bring one with you?

can you get the fans there or do you need to bring one with you?

1.You can get them there. ( it's first come first serve, limited supply.)

2. Cafeteria food ranges from it's good and bad days, don't faith in it.

3. The virus thing is excessive and only nesc. if you're going to be looking at pr0n or have worries about other misfits getting on your computer.

4. There are some sweet stores right next to a ton of amazing restraunts, it's all good and worthwhile ( on your down time)

5. On your down time you can kind of do w/e you want, they expect work out of you once you get back in lab, and sometime give assignments on your free time, but for the most part it's do as you please.

6. Canyons a noob, Janessa solves. :-O To wherever the greatest show on earth is. :-D

• Downvote 1

You can leave whenever for lunch and stuff (except the time is kind of tight), but normally people save that for dinner if they get the whole night off, or weekends, or ice cream after lab or something.

We're back on Grand River I think, and there are a bunch of restaurants there. I guess they could change the rules this year, but last time we were there, we pretty much came and went as we pleased as far as I remember.

do they heavily enforce the 'lights out' rule, or are you allowed to hang around on your floor, cut cards, and do other stuff?

In terms of evidence do you get it all in paper or do you get it all on a CD instead?

I read that u get a "packet of evidence at registration"....my guess that "packet" probably means apaper evidence and from what i read when u are done with camp u get the evidence cd..... I hope that helped...thats just how i interpreted what i read...so it could be wrong.

Yeah you get a starter pack, all paper, so practice debates can be done before even the first round of cutting files is done.

You get a CD at the end of camp with your session's ev, and ev from every session that ended before yours.

• Upvote 1

For the tournament are you only allowed to use stuff produced at SDI or are you allowed to use other evidence?

• Upvote 1

For the tournament are you only allowed to use stuff produced at SDI or are you allowed to use other evidence?

only stuff produced at SDI, unless they changed it (not likely)

I intend to show up at 11AM so I don't have to wait in line, but I'm driving so I have that luxury.

What about you?

• Downvote 1

only stuff produced at SDI, unless they changed it (not likely)

You can still try to find the original documents that other camps used for evidence, and then cut the same cards out of them. Assuming that the camp did a good job, it's not hard...I don't think. I've never tried.

now i hear people bring food in their tubs. Im guessing that means you dont bring empty expandos, or should you? How many if you should

Eh, you should probably bring at least a couple. At least two, maybe three. Remember for the tournament you'd be using one set of ev but also your partner's expandos too. And you can always buy another expando at the office.

A lot of people pitch the paper ev and expandos too for the flight home so they can pack random stuff in their tubs, so you might not want to buy too many in case you end up pitching them . . .

And on the ev question--they're really pretty strict about only using ev that's been put out there that year.

• Upvote 1