do they move people around based on skill? will they individually see where people fit or do they lump you based on your "experience''?

KRiesz is right for the most part. They make the call based on both experience level and skill (as determined by your record). In the first few days of camp, you can switch labs, but they tend to only do that when you can make a pretty decent case for why you should/want to. Most of the time there isn't a lot of lab jumping around, and most of the time they make the right call about who should be where. They also obviously take coaches' requests and stuff into account.

• Upvote 1

Man were you pissed too lol. Seth and I would have debated you and Jordan like champs. <3 :-D

yeah that was AFTER they decided to concede to us at the mini tourney....ARG!

is there a barnes and nobles/movie theater nearby dorms?

i don't know about everyone else, but this harry potter situation is sort of making me sad. (movie/book coming out while we're at SDI)

is there a barnes and nobles/movie theater nearby dorms?

i don't know about everyone else, but this harry potter situation is sort of making me sad. (movie/book coming out while we're at SDI)

Are you serious?

• Upvote 1

im serious about everything except the part about me being sad.

it'd be nice to know though.

There's a bookstore relatively close to the dorms. With a nice Italian place right next to it. Although it's only a book, and some jerk is gonna spoil the ending anyways, so idk why you're fretting.

yeah that was AFTER they decided to concede to us at the mini tourney....ARG!

All you wanted was a serious round. :-P It was either being hit on by P*** or having Sexacality run on you by Brian and Kareem. Granted you broke into the outrounds.

• Upvote 1

im serious about everything except the part about me being sad.

it'd be nice to know though.

A book that you can purchase either at the camp, or when you get home. And read at either place too. It is a fiction book too, as in none of it has really happened, fake. You are going to spend 1500$+ on camp, and you are going to whine about having to wait a couple of weeks to read a book. I hope I see you there so I can be "that guy" who spoils the ending for you.

• Upvote 1

calm down. i was kidding about being sad.

i was just curious as to whether or not we had a b&n/movie theater nearby.

and for some reason i dont mind endings being spoiled. so go ahead.

Snape kills dumbeldore again.

• Upvote 1

Did you not get the form via email? You sign a permission form and they take us to the midnight party . . . but even if they weren't, yeah there's a B & N within walking distance . . . movie theater--I have no clue.

just for the record who has signed this sheet and wants to buy the book? i think its a great getaway from sleeping at 10 or whatever.

A random question-- how much extra money should one bring? Im thinking 200 or more dollars, but i just wanted to consult someone with experience.

i'm just bringing a debit card so that if i need more than what's put on it at first i can just get it added on.

just for the record who has signed this sheet and wants to buy the book? i think its a great getaway from sleeping at 10 or whatever.

A random question-- how much extra money should one bring? Im thinking 200 or more dollars, but i just wanted to consult someone with experience.

No one goes to sleep at 10 lol. I know the RA's for 3rd lvl last year were completely chill, we just had to be quiet after 12. Movie nites, Toga parties and lots of evidence researching + politicaly correct jokes about every ethnicity within a 10 mile radius. What fun we had ;-O

Did you not get the form via email? You sign a permission form and they take us to the midnight party . . . but even if they weren't, yeah there's a B & N within walking distance . . . movie theater--I have no clue.

loll my mom gets all the SDI emails because she insisted on it. (she thinks im irresponsible or whatnot) and there was a period of about 3 weeks where her email crashed and she couldn't get emails.

how recently was that sent out?

and if any can go to bed by 10 every day at SDI I would like, pay them. that's basically impossible for debate camp.

i went to this one week thing before freshman year and i got around 5 hours of sleep a night.

yeah i was wondering about that too. i'm bringing my own printer and paper so i guess that eliminates printing costs but how much money should one bring for things like food?

how recently was that sent out?

i got it on june 8th.

yeah i was wondering about that too. i'm bringing my own printer and paper so i guess that eliminates printing costs but how much money should one bring for things like food?

Depending on your week, usually from 150-300$ Food is rather inexpsensive, but unless you learn to have a raw stomache you probally won't be eating the cafeteria food.

Depending on your week, usually from 150-300$ Food is rather inexpsensive, but unless you learn to have a raw stomache you probally won't be eating the cafeteria food.

where can you buy food from?

where can you buy food from?

lets see if youre back in the old dorms theres always all the yummy places on grand river as well as being able to order food like chinese and pizza

Printing costs are negligible--I wouldn't worry about bringing your own printer. The first year I might have done a little printing, but last year I think I literally did none at all.

The cafeteria food isn't all that bad, IMO, but if you hate it, we're back on Grand River (from what I've heard) and there are plenty of places to eat--pizza, Chinese, and sandwiches deliver, there's Indian, different kinds of cafes, Mexican--I mean, it's a college town, there's plenty to eat.

Depends on how long you're going to be there how much money you should bring--for four week I've always brought like $350 and come back with extra. But a credit/debit card is always handy, just in case.

And I'm pretty sure I wasn't ever asleep before midnight--they do enforce the whole not being in mixed company (boys/girls) after 11, but other than that . . . .

how many debaters are there at sdi? like how many go to the camp for all the weeks together, or i guess how many people are there during the first week?

I would bring more than cash--several hundred is kind of a lot to carry around with you everywhere you go for a month.

I've known people who do traveler's checks, but I mean I'd do debit or credit, I don't know of any restaurant that wouldn't accept plastic . . .

Do most take this seriously, or is there going to be alot of people fucking around?

It's just one of the cons of all camps. You will run into a few kids who blow 1400$+ on camp just to fuck around. But the lab leaders and most of the debaters there at least last year took it serious. That however does not mean you cannot have fun.

whatever, i'm psyched, first time goin to the SDI, but as for the people that have been there, (and other camps) how do the dorms and other things compare to camps, like Umich and northwestern and such?