cramer

Akron/Canton Kritik Lecture Series

I suppose here and now are as good a time and place as any to mention this. I wasn't around much in Ohio this year, but one thing that I have noticed over the past ten years is a general decline in local circuit debaters' knowledge of the critical and postmodern literature bases from which so much of the K lit is cut. A solution like KC's would do a lot to help -- since a lot of coaches in Ohio have real lives and therefore don't have the ability and inclination to read a few hundred books to get up to speed, so this lit is just inaccessible to a lot of people.

Later this spring/summer, I am planning on organizing an online reading group to try to foster a better depth of understanding of the relevant literature. We wouldn't be reading the texts like we do in debate; instead of an instrumental understanding, we would be reading the texts on their own terms. No cards would be cut, but the participants would walk away with a VASTLY improved ability to read, navigate, and understand the literature, and therefore the arguments that are based off of it. All of the books and journal articles would be distributed electronically by me, so there would be no cost associated. Instead, the aim would be to learn to read and talk about these ideas outside the context of a debate round to help you to understand how they get used inside it. There would probably be some kind of podcast-likie component, and a periodic very brief writing assignment just to demonstrate how much progress you are making.

Topics would span from "what the fuck is Foucault taking about here?" to "how does Zizek have such a hot wife?" to "why do critical theorists and postmodernists loathe each other so much?" That is to say, we would talk about and read selections from all of the important authors and actually learn how to parse the text and situate it within the literature base.

Please note that this would not serve the same purpose as KC's events, and should not be considered a substitute. If you think you might be interested in such a thing, just file this in the back of your mind and look for more information in the coming weeks.

• Upvote 2

Dan is right...debaters need to learn more about the critical literature base we are all trying to use. I think it would be ideal to do the K lectures series, that Case is offering, and then participate in Dan's program.

It would be fantastic for debaters to know philosopher's actual ideas and also be able to examine how they apply to debate, if they apply at all! Hell, even if you think you know alot about a critical lit. base it is always helpful to get refreshers on what you know. So even if you think you are seasoned vet at the K debate you should still consider taking us up on these two offers to maximize your knowledge base.

Dan, your idea is a good one. I would probably participate myself, it always helps to read more and discuss more. And god knows...it will be entertaining! ;)

kc

Hi everyone,

I am starting to get materials together for the lecture series. It would be ideal if folks interested in attending/planning to attend would email to let me know by the end of this week.

So far I have 2 Louisville people, a few Stow people, and the cccp kids committed. If you want to join us shoot me an email kcramer558@gmail.com

It should be a very helpful series.

Just a reminder the lecture series begins tomorrow. Its not too late to join us.

We have 16 prospective participants. I've heard from students from:

cccp

louisville

stow

wooster

firestone

chagrin falls

Even if you can't do every day you should still join us, it promises to be well spent time for everyone!

See you all soon.

Just a reminder to all those participating in the K lecture series.

Tomorrow's lecture has been moved to Thursday, 6:00-9:00 at CCC!

I hope everyone is learning from our lectures and that you are all looking forward to the 4th lecture!

Yes, thanks Kristie, Mrs. Daily, and Nick (and everyone else that helped or contributed) for putting the time into this. I know I got something out of it.

Thank you everyone for your words of thanks; those of us offering the series are very glad so many people participated and learned from the lectures and most importantly seemed to enjoy themselves. (see learning can be fun!)

Thank you to all who participated, such dedication to learning is what I and many of my colleagues love about academic debate!

We will offer a similiar series next year; hopefully we'll see some familiar faces and perhaps some of those who didn't participate won't miss out on the good times for version 2.0!

Have a good summer everyone!

Later this spring/summer, I am planning on organizing an online reading group to try to foster a better depth of understanding of the relevant literature. We wouldn't be reading the texts like we do in debate; instead of an instrumental understanding, we would be reading the texts on their own terms. No cards would be cut, but the participants would walk away with a VASTLY improved ability to read, navigate, and understand the literature, and therefore the arguments that are based off of it. All of the books and journal articles would be distributed electronically by me, so there would be no cost associated. Instead, the aim would be to learn to read and talk about these ideas outside the context of a debate round to help you to understand how they get used inside it. There would probably be some kind of podcast-likie component, and a periodic very brief writing assignment just to demonstrate how much progress you are making.

I've been stalking this thread for updates on this product and/or service. I'd have very little to contribute teaching-wise, but I'd really like to be involved, if only for my own personal edification.

If necessary, I can offer access* to a Ventrilo (VOIP) server if participants are geographically diverse.

Also, I require more of the 'What's on Dan's Ipod' thread. I've been 0-fer thus far, which I find personally repugnant.

*so long as we use it before 8PM EST, and people are responsible enough to NOT pass the server info around.

My sister is getting hitched this weekend, but after that I am going to sit down and plan the specifics out. As for the other thread, I had forgotten about it. I'll get back on it.

Does anyone have an electronic copy of the notes for the first two days of the lectures? I would really appreciate them. Thanks.

- Vahagn

rollo...

Case will be offering a similiar series at our tournament/workshop Friday, October 12 - Saturday, October 13.

I will be posting an invite & rough schedule sometime this week (most likely after I return with my high school team from WFU).

I've been getting many requests for another lecture series so we've decided to not offer an Ohio pdq this year and instead turn our tournament into a tournament workshop. We will do some debate rounds, followed by 2 on 1 skills drills & re-do's. In between rounds we will offer a selection of theory and philosophy lectures.

Here are some of our lecture ideas at this time to give you an idea to the flavor of our plans:

Power Philosophies

Objectivism/Individualism

Ethic K's

Security & IR K's (including disease security issues)

Development K's

History of Philosophical Thought

Topicality Theory

Kritik/Critique Theory

Counterplan Theory

I have been mapping out an invite and lecture schedule all week and plan to finish it on the long drive to Winston-Salem. I'll post it once it's finished.

We think this is a good way to offer an early tournament, to focus on what the community NEEDS to better compete for the season.

If you have any specific questions feel free to post them here & I'll reply when I can or you can email me at kcramer558@gmail.com

Thanks for the interest! Kristie

The Case invite for our tournament workshop, which includes debate rounds and lecture series is posted in a new thread on the tournament and invite section of the Great Lakes Thread.

The Case invite for our tournament workshop, which includes debate rounds and lecture series is posted in a new thread on the tournament and invite section of the Great Lakes Thread.
This sounds really nice, unfortunately my debate team does not have any money so I can't participate although I think that it would be an awesome experience.

This sounds really nice, unfortunately my debate team does not have any money so I can't participate although I think that it would be an awesome experience.

Er, did you read the Case invitation?

If you are a financially strapped team unable to pay either the fees or judging costs of the tournament, please contact Kristie to work out an arrangement. We don’t want any school to pass on our tournament due to financial strain.