Sign in to follow this  
hiphoppopotamus

Nebraska Memories 06-07

Most Underrated debater: Reid D.

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: Whatever being...you run stupid alternatives.

Hottest debater:

Favorite judge (and why): Myself, of course.

Debater with the most potential: Mike and Tom

Best partnership: Zack and Josh

Most Untopical case: DADT, Medical Reserve Corps, Citizenship cases and the 2 man plan.

Best negative position: Politics

Funniest off case position you saw: biopower

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: the plan text for our americorp case.

Favorite tourney: quals

least favorite tourney: Yankton (Fuck you south dakota).

Scariest Debater:

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Zack and Josh

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: its illegal

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): biopower

Most likely to be a debate coach: Zack

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: Zack

Senior you’ll miss the most: Zack and Josh. Its been great working with y'all. Peace.

Most Underrated debater: Keri

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: I don't remember

Hottest debater: Ashley of course....;)

Favorite judge (and why): David Song, but locally, my favorite judge is Sam

Debater with the most potential: Lil Kappy

Most Untopical case: the 2 man plan

Best negative position: We never lost on politics, but IR Gender is still the best negative position

Funniest off case position you saw: Veto CP

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching:

Favorite tourney: Dowling...I enjoy listening to Cole's crazy roommate stories

least favorite tourney: quals

Scariest Debater:

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Zack/Cole/Sam/Dylan

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: Just getting to know people was interesting this year. This is really my first year that I didn't flat out avoid everyone.

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): Framework

Senior you’ll miss the most: I'll miss Josh, Zack, Rachel, and John. You all kept things interesting and all owe me a senior picture.

Most Underrated debater: Kerri. sam and i theorize that brittany locked you in her basement and forced you to do speed drills for a while. you got ridiculously fast like, overnight. not that that's the only reason i think kerri is underrated, but it's a good story.

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: "that's a stupid ringtone" - john

Hottest debater: chris young. he's man-candy.

Favorite judge (and why): sam timme. he's a genious.

Debater with the most potential: john showed a lot of improvement. obvisouly i think my own debaters have massive potential.

Best partnership: me and sam

Most Untopical case: ban the military into the peace corps..

Best negative position: counterplan ban the thing they critique (citizenship. the military, etc).

Funniest off case position you saw: ospec.

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: alistair murray's work. he's a moron.

Favorite tourney: state. the tiki bar is awesome.

least favorite tourney: state. i drove to and stayed in kearney just to judge two rounds.

Scariest Debater: pat.

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Ian/cole/sam

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: tiki bar

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): the framework

Most likely to be a debate coach: brittany sounds right.

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: zach, apparently

Senior you’ll miss the most: not singling anyone out.

Most Underrated debater: Mike and Tom. And, everyone's probably right about Keri, although I always knew she was good. ;-)

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: I wasn't in this round, but I watched it: "On the RVI: 1. Hahaha 2. [proceeds to answer the position]" -Rachel

Favorite judge (and why): Sam Timme and Brent Klingemann, because they both give really helpful decisions, and I can always count on them to make a well-thought out decision.

Debater with the most potential: After debating Norfolk's novices at State, I think they could be quite good, and I hope they stay involved.

Best partnership: Rachel and John. They always seemed to be on the same page.

Most Untopical case: Natives

Best negative position: I liked the VSO CP the best, and it's too bad we didn't get to use it at state.

Funniest off case position you saw: Don't remember

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: A card where Derrida says that killing Nietzsche's typewriter is killing Nietzsche. Like, word for word.

Favorite tourney: I liked all of them, but I liked Westside.

Least Favorite Tourney: Millard West. It got called too early, and was just sort of lame all the way around.

Scariest debater: Amy

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Zack/Wike/I don't know

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: Hanging out at Blake, even though I missed the throwing-Dylan-in-the-pool episode. Or one of the many times I just got to sit around and chill with the other Nebraska debaters.

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): Not finishing the Identity Politics block before Districts...

Most likely to be a debate coach: Zack or Rachel

Senior you’ll miss the most: I'll miss all the seniors, but I'll probably miss Zack, Josh, Rachel, and John the most, since Alex promises to be around all the time anyways. You guys are all great debaters, and the Nebraska circuit is really going to lose out when you graduate. I enjoyed debating you all, and just hanging out with you. Good luck in college and/or wherever else you go.

Most Underrated debater: Mike

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: The discussion about the Cock card at quals

Hottest debater: Ashley

Favorite judge (and why): Brent, because when he was the judge you knew the round was going to be fun and you were going to get a good decision

Debater with the most potential: Lil Stamm A.K.A. Ryan, one of our novice

Best partnership: Ian and Admiral

Most Untopical case: Natives and 2 man plan

Best negative position: politics

Funniest off case position you saw: CP to have the Lincoln East forensics team help at the special olympics

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: A prgram that claimed to help you write a book in 30 days

Favorite tourney: quals

least favorite tourney: Yankton

Scariest Debater: i feel no fear

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Ian/Cole/Wike

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: When Nebraska took an entire hallway to ourselves at Dowling

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): although we were never really called on it in round, almost every neg round we had we ran contradicting DAs

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: Zack, this is all he knows

Senior you’ll miss the most: I'll miss everyone, but especially Zack, we have been through a lot together these past 3 years

It has been a blast getting to know everyone and I am going to miss all the great times we had together. I don't know how much I will get to see everyone after this. It depends on where I end up for college. If I don't see everyone after this I just want to say thanks for everything. Well, my Nebraska debate career is over and what else can I say but. . . We gave her hell.

Most Underrated debater: Deepa and Sarah consistently displayed a shit-ton of talent, but they always seemed to miss the break. That sucks.

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: "Let me ask you a question: If your aff case was an animal, what animal would it be?" -Ian, in cross-x at Westside. Also we were negative, so...

Hottest debater: Lisa never delivered the hawt lesbian love she promised me this weekend. What the fuck, Lisa?!

Favorite judge (and why): Lindsey, because I love her, and Sam, because he always delivers a really well thought-out decision and offers helpful advice.

Debater with the most potential: Not to be biased, but our novices are going to be amazing if they keep working. They have a lot of raw talent and ambition. Outside of that, everyone from Millard South is already awesome, and will be ridiculously good in the years to come. Its incredible that they had such a great year and only one of them is graduating.

Best partnership: Zack and Josh and Brittney and Kerri both seem to work extremely well with eachother. I'd also like to add that (although we have our contentious moments) I couldn't imagine myself debating with anyone but John, so I'd like to thank him.

Most Untopical case: Natives. It baffles me they even made an attempt to claim its topical, since its so clearly not.

Best negative position: Fuck you all, Biopower. (and T...I love T)

Funniest off case position you saw: I didn't actually see it, but Alex has spent the last month or so trying to convince me that "robocop solves technocapitalism" is a sweet argument.

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: A children's book titled "Why Mommy's a Democrat."

Favorite tourney: LSW and quals (although rushing home to get ready for prom ate it.)

least favorite tourney: Westside. We had a retardedly hard draw.

Scariest Debater: I'm not really afraid of anyone. I am, however, usually pretty unnerved by Brittney's rebuttals because they have a tendency to be both very good and LOUD.

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Ian/Wike/Cole

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: John and I ate at the Macaroni Grill before Westside. Oh my god, I love the Macaroni Grill. Also I thought it was cool that everyone sort of hung out together for awhile at the Kearney tournament instead of breaking off into smaller groups.

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): Running Agamben on Ashley and Carly in state finals.

Most likely to be a debate coach: Probably me, since that's actually what I think I want to do. Apparently Zack too?

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: Zack.

Senior you’ll miss the most: I'll miss literally everyone. As far as seniors go, I'd say Zack and Josh. We've definitely had some fun in the past few years.

I also want to say that I didn't really anticipate being as sad about leaving Nebraska debate as I am. I'm definitely psyched for college debate, but I'm really going to miss the Nebraska community. Its been sweet getting to know so many of you, and I wish we had more time together. I also hope everyone keeps debating; we have a strong (albeit small) circuit and I'd like to see it stay that way. Finally, I wish everyone the best of luck with everything they do in the future, debate-related or not, and want to genuinely thank you all for giving me what are literally some of my best memories.

PS- Like John said in the other thread, we intend to continue to debate together, its looking like for UMKC. I hope to judge as much as possible, but I'm not sure how much that'll be possible. So, if anyone is ever in Kearney (or Kansas City come the fall), give me a call. I'm gonna miss you all.

least favorite tourney: Yankton

quote]

Did you go to lewis and clark? I only remember one nebraska team, they went 1-4.

Have you gone in the past?

• Downvote 1

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: A children's book titled "Why Mommy's a Democrat."

I've seen that!! The only other little book like that I've read that was funnier was Politically Correct Holiday Stories, which is perhaps the most amusing thing I've ever read.

I am, however, usually pretty unnerved by Brittney's rebuttals because they have a tendency to be both very good and LOUD.

Ummm...yeah. Sorry about that. I totally, like, yelled my 1AR at state last weekend... :-P

yeah, you came out of the room looking like yuo'd just run a marathon and said something about passing out.

yeah, you came out of the room looking like yuo'd just run a marathon and said something about passing out.

I did almost pass out. Because I sort of forgot to breathe during that speech.

Did you go to lewis and clark? I only remember one nebraska team, they went 1-4.

I was part of the team you are refering to. Thanks for pointing out that we got fucked by the south dakota judging pool approximately three times. Thats part of the reason I listed as the least favorite tourney

No relation. None.

Well, the family resemblance is uncanny.

Zack gets pretty red during rebuttals too.

breathing is one of the many things zack often forgets. Along with, every coat he has ever owned, whether the pen he has in his pocket is his or not, his keys, and the occasional cell phone

Most Underrated debater: Lisa

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: So the MS debaters judged novice finals at Squashfest, and we were joking around about what we would vote on during prep time. And I said something about voting for who could dance the best. So whichever Westside novice was the 2AR gets up and at the end of his speech goes "So now I'm going to do an interpretive dance about nuclear war"

Hottest debater: I'll go with least hottest and say Ian.

Favorite judge (and why): Brent K

Debater with the most potential: Mike and Tom

Best partnership: Zach and Josh

Most Untopical case: Natives rawr.

Best negative position: :) BARDA

Funniest off case position you saw: Ban citizenship :)

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: Happy Tree Friends videos...[maybe we weren't exactly *researching* at that point...]

Favorite tourney: State

least favorite tourney: Blake. Hanging out with people was fun but the actual debating sucked.

Scariest Debater: Ian :)

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Ian/Cole or Wike/Brent K

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: Getting into a fight with Ian and him putting lotion in my jacket pockets at Blake because I refused to get his STUPID gun back from Chloe. And then later seeing the video of Dylan being pushed into a pool.

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): 8 minutes of T in the block.

Most likely to be a debate coach: Amy

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: Zach

Senior you’ll miss the most: I don't know any of the seniors that well but the Norfolk boys were definitely fun to debate and I'll miss them.

Have you gone in the past?

Yeah, that was the team from Norfolk. I remember judging a powerd 4-0 round and thinking that our novice teams could beat both teams I was judging.

Most Underrated debater: Mike

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in:

Hottest debater:

Favorite judge (and why): Cole

Debater with the most potential: Lisa Kaplinger

Most Untopical case: 2 man plan.

Best negative position:

Funniest off case position you saw:

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching:

Favorite tourney: Westside

least favorite tourney: Millard West

Scariest Debater:

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Ian/Wike/Cole

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: racing the vans to Iowas Tournaments

Worst Strategic Choice (in round):

Senior you’ll miss the most: I'll miss all of you, but If i had to pick just one, i'd probably say Rachael, just because she's the last one on the circut that i remember debating against. It will be sad to see so many wonderful debaters leave.

I was novice this year so this list may be kinda wierd...

Most Underrated debater: Eli B.

Hottest debater: Tie with my partner and Ian.

Favorite judge (and why): carly/john when they judged novice, quite fun.

Debater with the most potential: Andy S. (LD guy converting to policy next year)

Best partnership: John/Rachel

Most Untopical case: mandatory national service (UNS of 2003) for 18-26 with the novice case limit was 18-24… it was kinda funny no one picked up on it. (LHS Eli and Jeff)

Best negative position: IMPERIALISM !/Anarchy CP

Funniest off case position you saw: In=throughout Topicality

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: the onion (whilst googling peace corps)

Favorite tourney: East (1st place novice speaker)

least favorite tourney: LSW (fun but laughable novice rounds)

Scariest Debater: me during a practice round last at LHS it was freaky… other wise I don’t know.

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Jeff/Lindsey or Goodbrake/Brent

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year:

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): Uncovering T and emphasing Volunteerism while on the neg first round at state

Most likely to be a debate coach: IDK

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: IDK

Senior you’ll miss the most: all of them.... *sigh

Most Untopical case: mandatory national service (UNS of 2003) for 18-26 with the novice case limit was 18-24… it was kinda funny no one picked up on it. (LHS Eli and Jeff)

How does that make it untopical?

Most Underrated debater: I don't know. X-X

Funniest thing said in round (quote and person) you were in: Eh. Nothing was really funny.

Hottest debater: Psssssh. I'm going to go with... myself...? (None of you get me going, sorry. :-P)

Favorite judge (and why): Cole, because he knows my name. :-P Well, now he does. And his ballot from State made me laugh. I had a lot of sympathy.

Debater with the most potential: I'm going to be cocky and say all of us Millard South kids... :-P

Best partnership: Kjhdsugdf. Wow I am really sucking at this survey thing.

Most Untopical case: Natives.

Best negative position: BARDA! And politics. And other post-fiat impact stuff. Screw you and your kritiks, Nebraska. Screw. You.

Funniest off case position you saw: Agamben. Actually, it wasn't funny. It made me want to throw stuff. But the way Amy and I handled it was pretty funny. "What does this card say?" "We don't really know."

Funniest thing you stumbled upon while researching: My researching was less than interesting.

Favorite tourney: Blake was funny. PASSION FRAMEWORK!!!

least favorite tourney: State

Scariest Debater: Amy. 0-0

Funniest Debater/Coach/Judge: Rachel/Wike/Cole

Best non-debate experience/event at a debate tourney this year: Uuuumm... probably all the fun stuff I did with Sammi (LD), Adelle (LD), Brittany, and Elaine (LD coach) in the van and in the computer lab. :-P

Worst Strategic Choice (in round): Messing stuff up...?

Most likely to be a debate coach: Brittany

Most likely to graduate and judge ALL the time: Keri

Senior you’ll miss the most: Alex, because he is the only senior I really befriended.