KookiePhoenix

How much help do you REALLY get from your coach

not really. sykes is a great guy and a brilliant debater (or so i've heard) he just can't teach at our level. he got us really confused. and mrs. boyd...OMGosh, she doesn't teach. she just gets pissed at the LDers for messing around and tries to control all of the situations.

Might wanna hope none of them see this post... or if they do, I'd take your name down :o

• Downvote 1

this is only my second year debating, but I have to teach all of the novices. I guess that's what happens when all of your varsity deabters graduate and you have to go from novice to A team

True dat yo! At least i have an okay partner, except the fact that he is a pansy.

My coach is great. He knows a lot and helps us do everything. He's more CX oriented than he is LD, so that's good for us. The only thing is that he can be a bit rough sometimes.

It's good to have a coach that actually helps the novices. Many coaches tends to focus solely on the varsity teams and leave the novices to fend for themselves, so to speak.

Only really dedicated coaches can help alot' date=' for example, damien is a perfect example. Their school has among some of the best coaching across the country.

A mediocre coach can help alot when you're a novice, but from there on their utility diminishes unless its a full time or just very interested coach. When you're a junior and senior though, you should be learning your mistakes on your own and the coach will help prep you in an important round + cut some cards for you.

subsidy cp damien :drool:

haha :P[/quote']

i know exactly what youre talking about. all of damien's coaches and assistant coaches are like former TOC champs and things like that. they have coaches better than some colleges

ha

atleast most of u have policy coachs or varsity members

we have 2 LD coachs that hate policy and i am the the only team doing policy and its my first year

thank you google

• Downvote 1

Tyler you have varsity... the sad thing is that you novices at cheyenne east never ask for help... When you have six varsity in CX.... and like twelv who competed in CX and then quite you have the resources but you refuse to use them...

Our coach helps, or more often then not..."HEY (varsity member here) GO HELP (novice name here) WITH (whatever stupid thing we need help with here)", the varsity pretty much run the class too

You would be mistaken and be talking about our SPEECH coach. Our debate coach is not a full time teacher...or a teacher at all so when he can, he will help as much as possible. Also when the coach thinks that a Varsity can teach you better than he can, (a word of advice) he's probably right, Varsity become much better resources since they are competing the same as you just in a different bracket, this means the varsity know a lot more about the topic and about the judges and what they prefer with arguments.

Our coach helps, or more often then not..."HEY (varsity member here) GO HELP (novice name here) WITH (whatever stupid thing we need help with here)", the varsity pretty much run the class too

dude, seriously, how the hell do you think we were taught? i mean honestly now, we've maintained a good record based off of this practice, so who do you think you are to judge a practice older than you are in age? B4 you critique, understand where the situation is comming from

our coach tought the hard headed novices who didnt care, but yet got them to become good novices, i was wrong to disrespect him like that, i wasnt feeling good then, and I wanna tell the varsity and the coach im srry. =(

and Ben ur PM was true =*(

hes a good coach

• Downvote 2

Debate will never be valued enough to have solid coaching as the norm until it starts to generate money for schools. So I think we'll need to get used to it.

Debate will never be valued enough to have solid coaching as the norm until it starts to generate money for schools. So I think we'll need to get used to it.

yeah... there's really no way to generate money for schools besides hosting an annual tournament (if those are even money generators).

I wouldn't know, our school doesn't host one, and policy really does cost a lot of money, especially if you want to be a competitive NC team.

Back when Mech had Leah Harris she was actually helpful in teaching us how to write args, cut cards, and start out. When we got our new coach Bob Michaelski... uh... "block and tackle, kids". We couldn't run CPs, or Ks, or DAs, or T. Just "blocking and tackling". He left for greener pastures, then we got the two Kennedy/Shaffers and it's been smooth sailing ever since. We get to do our own thing, learn from each other, and it's golden.

yeah, unfortunately, david, you're right

i love mrs. allen to death, but she doesn't understand debate well enough or have the time to teach us. i mean, she's got speech, drama, high school vocal, junior high vocal, and sophomore english on top of debate. as a result, we have the older kids teaching the, as josh like to say, "novii". however, we also get a lot more freedoms in the classroom and are very rarely told what we can and can't do.

i think this system worked for josh, it worked for me, and i think it will keep on working until debate gains enough respect to warrant getting good, strictly debate oriented coaches.

the only thing i worry about is me being a competent teacher, or me leaving before the younger generation understands well enough to teach, especially since we have no one younger than me, tye, bo, and franco this year.

It's good to have a coach that actually helps the novices. Many coaches tends to focus solely on the varsity teams and leave the novices to fend for themselves, so to speak.

My coach likes to teach novices about some stock issues, and that is where it ends. The last 3/4ths of the semester was spent on practice rounds, we never even got to go research. The varsity is left to fend for themselves completely.

My coach has never debated or done a speech event in his life. this year the week of state debate he had us doing a speech which isnt even an event. As someone else above said, the only help we get SOMETIMES is a library pass.

My coach has never debated or done a speech event in his life. this year the week of state debate he had us doing a speech which isnt even an event. As someone else above said, the only help we get SOMETIMES is a library pass.

Sounds like a big man that likes to eat twinkies and listen to the hamster dance and religous music. And has a wierd gf. "Could you get off the desks?"

all of damien's coaches and assistant coaches are like former TOC champs and things like that. they have coaches better than some colleges

Nick Fiori is an amazing coach.

The coaches aren't supposed to cut cards for you, that is your job. That is why I never disclose if I see a varsity or coach present. Our coach is amazing and gives us help finding our own evidence and watches practice rounds in class and after school!:)

• Downvote 1

My coach thinks she is the hardcore shit which really pisses me off because she thinks pf is the only legitimate debate format left and that the line by line is abusive(I'm an LD'er in a traditional area and I by no means push the envelope). My coach also thinks TOC is for areas where they have no good tourneys and that the local tournaments with no more than 10 competitors are these "good" tournaments. She is our speech coach and I started the debate team before she hijacked it and started being a bitch. Oh and she sucks at being a speech coach too. I was prepping an IX speech today and she made me stop and with the rest of my prep time(like ten minutes) write another IX speech for a question she wrote and then when it sucked and I made a few jokes in the speech she told everyone to clear the room and bitched at me for like ten minutes and told me I was making a mockery of the activity and everything was just a game to me about how much I could anger everyone. She also said I owed everyone an apology in the room. Oh and apparently I don't practice like I play ya I really need to stop letting dumbass coaches from interrupting me. I am essentially the extent of my team and always have been so I don't have anyone else to learn from. I just can't wait to get out of high school and can get on a real team in college.