KookiePhoenix

How much help do you REALLY get from your coach

I'm teaching one full novice team....coach= PFD :) Cross-x.com is where i get alot of stuff from. Thanks for rockin this joint.

lucky...my coach takes all the novices and puts them in LD or interp events :(

Not much. She's the most dinosaurtastic of all the dinosaurs...no exaggeration. Me and my partner pretty much had to re-learn debate after our novice year. I think she hates us for having Ks in our box. And counterplans. And no inherency takeouts.

My coaches honestly don't do that much. We really picked an aff, and then our varsity guys put together a few case negs for us. She's also been MIA, for the last few weeks of practice, and our seniors have been doing it.

My coaches honestly don't do that much. We really picked an aff, and then our varsity guys put together a few case negs for us. She's also been MIA, for the last few weeks of practice, and our seniors have been doing it.

Sounds like our situation, and it's really hard to teach debate when you've only had one year of actual compitition under your belt 0.o!

Our coach really doesn't give us any help.. ever. He's never cut a card, never even comes to the tournaments, and basically just swears at us. Varsity often has to arrange signing up for tournaments and busing by themselves. Most novices easily know far more about debate than he does after the first three weeks.

Our coach is amazing and will help on about anything.

but last year I was picked by a guy I knew from UIL to be his debate partner. I'd never taken a debate class. I'd never seen a debate. Nothing of the sort. So I just learned that randomly and had to pick things up via trial and error.

This year I'm in the class and actually a really decent debater. but she still helps a ton

Only really dedicated coaches can help alot, for example, damien is a perfect example. Their school has among some of the best coaching across the country.

A mediocre coach can help alot when you're a novice, but from there on their utility diminishes unless its a full time or just very interested coach. When you're a junior and senior though, you should be learning your mistakes on your own and the coach will help prep you in an important round + cut some cards for you.

subsidy cp damien :drool:

haha :P

We don't even have a coach.

Our varsity members aren't friendly.

which purely sucks since we have no one to help us.

so, we rely on each other.

that's what cross-x is for. Just post, most varsity from other areas are more than willing to help.

and yes, unless you go to a school with an established debate program... your coach probably isn't much of a help.

http://debatevideos.blogspot.com [<-- Great place to see good debates]

All our coach does is help the forensics team and im glad because when she comes out and helps us ITS NOT HELPFUL

all she does is critize us and frankly she doesent know much about debate

yep, pretty much the same here. she tries, she really does but in the end she won't even debate against us for an educational experience. And if thats the only way we can learn i think she is kinda obligated.

This thread raises a very important question, and the best people to answer it are the people who are actually competing in HS debate right now.

What is a high school debate coach supposed to do? I'd really like to know what today's debaters think an "ideal" coach is.

I would like a HS coach who would read our aff case and point out any weak points they might think of. Otherwise, I don't see any problem with a coach who refuses to look up ev. for a team or write out any actual arguments.

A good coach would know what kinds of args are popular in his/her teams area, and make sure that debaters understand the basic concepts (which is a lot, actually). CX really is more of a do it yourself thing, though, and having a coach continually carry the brunt of the workload is only hurting the students.

Coaches should schedule, arrange transportation, and show up for tournaments (if they can't make one or two, that's understandable).

My coach is alright; she gets us to where we need to go. It's her first year coaching, so I don't expect het to do much else. I just wish she would read our case.

I would like a HS coach who would read our aff case and point out any weak points they might think of. Otherwise, I don't see any problem with a coach who refuses to look up ev. for a team or write out any actual arguments.

A good coach would know what kinds of args are popular in his/her teams area, and make sure that debaters understand the basic concepts (which is a lot, actually). CX really is more of a do it yourself thing, though, and having a coach continually carry the brunt of the workload is only hurting the students.

Coaches should schedule, arrange transportation, and show up for tournaments (if they can't make one or two, that's understandable).

My coach is alright; she gets us to where we need to go. It's her first year coaching, so I don't expect het to do much else. I just wish she would read our case.

All True. Coaches could help their debaters put together files and do some light research, however if its a good team coaches doing a semi large workload and debaters doing WAY more is okay. I'm not totally against coaches helping on files, it enables debaters to learn their positions well and they can cut exts + links+extra stuff themselves.

I survive in a realm where our coach knows in-town lay debate but not so much out-of-town debate. That's not to say we don't get a few travel opportunities (Long Beach, La Costa, Berkeley) but nonetheless, it's hard to get that ounce of sympathy when you're talking about the really competitive circuit. Of course, debate camp was and is a good substitute for that more common nat circuit debate knowledge that we're absent in a localized team.

• Downvote 1

Don't really get any help from my coach about actually learning about debate. Most of time the varsity does the teaching.

We dont have a formal coach, our Varsity team does the teaching, but they give us all of the files

LOL calling our coach a coach is any oxymoron he does nothing at all and thats why Cross-x is the best i think that im gonna start bringing a laptop to tournys so i can consult Cross-x

My coach taught us a stupid analogy for "AFF land and NEG land" and a piss poor impact speech. I go 0-4 in the first two tournaments, with him just giving me a few files and he wonders why I'm "doing so poorly." LOL XD Then the varsity stepped up and I got to semis at a local tournament with a less than competent partner.

Guest fizelly27
My coach taught us a stupid analogy for "AFF land and NEG land" and a piss poor impact speech. I go 0-4 in the first two tournaments, with him just giving me a few files and he wonders why I'm "doing so poorly." LOL XD Then the varsity stepped up and I got to semis at a local tournament with a less than competent partner.

dude if u go to grapevine ur coaches are sick.

this is only my second year debating, but I have to teach all of the novices. I guess that's what happens when all of your varsity deabters graduate and you have to go from novice to A team

dude if u go to grapevine ur coaches are sick.

not really. sykes is a great guy and a brilliant debater (or so i've heard) he just can't teach at our level. he got us really confused. and mrs. boyd...OMGosh, she doesn't teach. she just gets pissed at the LDers for messing around and tries to control all of the situations.

• Downvote 1