KookiePhoenix

How much help do you REALLY get from your coach

none. basically a student-taught class. it's kind of cool though. seniors taught me, and now i'm teaching freshman, and in a couple of years i'll pass the legacy on to them. awww sweet legacy.

(our coach calls it the "debate dynasty"...even though she's had a relatively nonexistent part in it....)

I'm wrapping up my high school debate experience at NFLs in June, and I'm kinda proud at how successful we were as a self-coached team. Our coach is fantastic for LD, extemp, and oratory, and hired an assistant to coach interp. The CX program has been self-perpetuating; we're allowed to stick around as long as we train future debaters ourselves. The problem is that we're not given class time or even a room to use regularly after school, so everyone's on their own. Your success is directly proportional to how hard you work.

When I was a freshman, my partner and I consulted with another teacher who had debated during his high school years. That teacher taught us the very basics (essentially speaking times and what the stock issues are), and everything else is knowledge we've picked up ourselves.

So no, I've never had a coach who has cut evidence for me. I didn't work with camp files until sophomore year and have been less reliant on them as a result. Cutting our own evidence has been better because we know exactly what the warrants are in each card and can debate better analytically; we also are able to keep files current and pertinent to cases run by other local teams.

• Downvote 1

Are you sure, or is it just unspoken? I.E. Whatever two teams your coach chose to go to Emory would probably be the "A" and "B" teams. At my school its not obviously defined, as in Im the A team and your the B team now suck my balls and clean my dishes. But everyone knows who the "A" team is and the coach shows (at least at times) some type of favoritism.

I'm sure. We all have equal opportunity to travel.

6 teams to long beach

6 teams to ASU

6 teams to Golden Desert

2 teams to Meadows (that's all it allowed)

3 teams to Nat quals (All the varsity)

4 teams to regionals.

I'm sure. We all have equal opportunity to travel.

6 teams to long beach

6 teams to ASU

6 teams to Golden Desert

2 teams to Meadows (that's all it allowed)

3 teams to Nat quals (All the varsity)

4 teams to regionals.

What about Emory?

So no, I've never had a coach who has cut evidence for me. I didn't work with camp files until sophomore year and have been less reliant on them as a result. Cutting our own evidence has been better because we know exactly what the warrants are in each card and can debate better analytically; we also are able to keep files current and pertinent to cases run by other local teams.

Indeed, I also never really got really involved in cross-x till this season and my school's head coach is a speech buff, but in addition cutting files vs constantly using camps files is a great way to advance skills and get to uderstand evidence , especially if you don't have an expert CX coach.

Dude, if you see that we only go to west coast tourneys, why the hell would we go to Emory?

Well Im sorry, my puny little brain forgot that it was impossible for anyone to hop on a plane and go to tournaments on a different side of the country.

My deepest apologies.

• Upvote 1

Well Im sorry, my puny little brain forgot that it was impossible for anyone to hop on a plane and go to tournaments on a different side of the country.

My deepest apologies.

sarxasm doesnt work well on the internet

sarxasm doesnt work well on the internet

If your good at it, or have higher than a 300 IQ it does.............

• Downvote 2

My deepest apologies.

first of all, what I think Kyle meant was that by our list of tournaments that we attend it shows that our coach keeps us confined to the west. We usually take the bus everywhere so whoever offers tourneys in a decent driving distance are usually the ones we will attend. Though Emory is a pretty good tourney there is no point in flying out for it when we have tourneys like Berkeley and ASU out here.

SHUT UP WITH EMORY. JESUS.

Shut the hell up Kosmach. We'll stop talking about Emory when you get off of WGLF's nuts. It seems like you have a new quote from them everyday.

P.S. I love ALL Green Valley debaters. Even Alex Kosmach :)

I have read, and been much moved by, this thread.

Right now, I'm semi-retired, teach only two classes a day, four days a week, and have a lot of time on my hands (obviously).

I don't know how much help I can be, but if anyone would like the "benefit" of my advice, all you have to do is PM me or email me at

sonofshasta1970@yahoo.com or

topspeaker70@aol.com

and I'll do what I can to help. (And, no, this doesn't apply to free legal advice.)

My coach doesn't care about our c-x. She works with the LD team. All we do is ask her for advice on things to run, or what kind of things we need to find.

Same. Our CX started declining after our Sr.s graduated so he focused more on LD, was kind of a kick in the nuts to the cxers.

Oh wow. Well, my original coach, Mr. Sexton, told us the basics and then made us do everything ourselves (which actually is a really good thing. We learned a lot faster that way.)

My current coach has no idea what she's doing and has never debated before. In fact, I (and two others) are in charge. We have debated officially for one year (three years ago) and have been teaching novices for the past two years. It's basically the blind leading the blind, but we're the best our novices have (we're wanna-be varsity debaters). Unfortunately, my school is too cheap to actually invest in our debate team, so I'm not sure if even our Novices this year are going to be allowed to compete.

It makes me so FRUSTRATED.

Our coach is a pretty bright guy...just doesnt focus any attention to policy. He just kinda threw me into debate. But he focuses on knocked up LDers that have no shot at qualifying to nationals.

Edit: He plays favoritism

We occasionally get a bus, and she sometimes arranges our lodging. She gives us paper, printing access, folders, and sometimes reimburses us for supplies.