KookiePhoenix

How much help do you REALLY get from your coach

We don't have a policy coach, but having somebody would seem to be very useful. Arguementative expertise and research seem to be the key.

My coach doesn't reallyl ike me, so I have no reliance on them.

QFA. Nobody likes you.

• Upvote 2

My coach does no research, but knows policy pretty well (all those hes like 1000000%) conservative, but he does provide like emotional support(Yah the girls on our team cry alot) plus hes eireily good with motivation. And hes a really good liar for when we "Disclose" in breaks

• Downvote 1

HAHAH, I mean like 30 minutes before a break round starts, and we haven't flipped yet if someones like "If you go aff what would you be running?" Like vaguely so they can get the idea. He'll be like, "O, Melvin, hes lazy he only has one aff, hes probably what hes been running all tournie.......In breaks after the flip of course we disclose but before, why give them time to super prep?

HAHAH, I mean like 30 minutes before a break round starts, and we haven't flipped yet if someones like "If you go aff what would you be running?" Like vaguely so they can get the idea. He'll be like, "O, Melvin, hes lazy he only has one aff, hes probably what hes been running all tournie.......In breaks after the flip of course we disclose but before, why give them time to super prep?

Why are people always so intent on knowing people's aff for liek a half hour so that their coach can prep them? I don't know but it seems to me that it really hurts the smaller schools without coaching staffs.

Why are people always so intent on knowing people's aff for liek a half hour so that their coach can prep them? I don't know but it seems to me that it really hurts the smaller schools without coaching staffs.

Y'know, it helps to have time to prep regardless of what your coach does. While I certainly do use my coach as a resource, he's by no means doing the work for us. It's just helpful to have three heads in the game rather than two. When we go to tournaments without him, we still want peoples' cases prior to rounds because WE prep out. And smaller schools without coaching staffs are pretty much inevitably going to suffer, so that's sorta a non-unique gripe.

Non-disclosure for small schools without coaches levels the playing fields to an extent. A small school is aff against a team neg team from a school with a bunch of coaches to help. Non-disclosure is the best option for these schools.

I'm gonna back Andrew here. Nothing irritates me more than disclosing, watching the other team take my plan text out of the room, and prep for a half an hour with a coach (or three).

It's come to the point that I aim to get into the room thirty seconds before the starting time to avoid it.

It's really just a common courtesy. I've debated both with and without legit coaching, and in all cases was at a small school, and I still disclosed my affirmative. While I've done better this year, I'd attribute that to experience/camp/partner/coach in combination, not just 'Spencer prepping me out prior to a round.'

I think disclosure, regardless of your school size/program strength, leads to better, more in-depth debate, and probably overall increases the quality of the activity.

I would ask: do those of you who don't disclose your affirmatives ask for or accept offered disclosures? If so, how do you rectify that with your own non-disclosures? Do the teams who disclose to you know that you don't disclose your own affirmative?

hmm, thats odd, i've never had a problem with people asking for disclosure a while before the round, and even the ones that ask pretty early, dont prep we just sit outside the room and talk. as the the judges are inevitably late (or we're just early)(po-tay-to, po-tah-to)

I disclose, man. When I said I aimed for thirty seconds before the round, I imply that I don't often land there. Exagguration for effect of frustration.

I do, in fact, disclose. I do actually consider it a common courtesy; however, that doesn't prevent me from _complaining_ about it. I only find it distasteful that some teams will get such a big advantage.

I respect you, Justin, and I have no doubt that you probably do the work. But there are just too many teams that run to their coach even as they're grabbing my plan text and walking out the door.

For the record, I do ask for disclosure, but usually only when the judge is in the room or we are otherwise near the start time. It only takes a few seconds to pull out files anyway.

• Downvote 2

Your right and we have a small squad, but thats just life. Our coach doesnt cut us evidence, our older debaters do......So when we're in a break round our coach is just like telling us judging paradigms, and how to appeal to them, he doesn't sit there and like print out strats and stuff...

But we do disclose, not disclosing at all is just rude, it's not "illegal" or anything its just mean.....

its not cheating to have coahes help, stop comaplining, many times in fact i find that debaters will be more likely to run arguments they know best, and if a coach is there prepping them out for you and giving them different strats than their usual one, they will be less familiar with it and thus are more easyily defeated on it, plus prepping out doesnt help much and the better debater will win with or without help before hte round

• Downvote 1

its not cheating to have coahes help, stop comaplining, many times in fact i find that debaters will be more likely to run arguments they know best, and if a coach is there prepping them out for you and giving them different strats than their usual one, they will be less familiar with it and thus are more easyily defeated on it, plus prepping out doesnt help much and the better debater will win with or without help before hte round

If this were true, the practice would have died out long ago.

If this were true, the practice would have died out long ago.

Kyle, you intelligent bastard you, you stole the words right out of my mouth......................

I've seen so many rounds won by schools with their 2025 coaches prepping them out, cutting DA's and CP's 20 minutes before the round starts. What you said is sometimes true but many times its not.

Usually if the forensic team is big the coach wont help much, but some schools have really small forensic/debate programs and the coach pretty much has more work with the students individually. Our teacher helps us sometimes though, but our seniors taught us most of the stuff.

True, Darius, but remember, our coach is there for the pound. And that's the true inspiration.

In other words, we learned from our A-team, but our coach is the moral support we need.

• Downvote 1

True, Darius, but remember, our coach is there for the pound. And that's the true inspiration.

In other words, we learned from our A-team, but our coach is the moral support we need.

Exactly.

I've never lost a round when I've gotten a fist pound from my coach before hand.

Considering there's no such thing as an "A" team on our squad because we don't practice that form of elitism I'm not sure who you're referring to.

I only find it distasteful that some teams will get such a big advantage.

I have a hard time believing that you have ever lost an aff round because the other team knew what your aff was fifteen minutes more than you would have liked. Prepping with a coach very rarely results in a killer strategy. That sort of thing requires research and planning before the tournament.

• Downvote 2

I have a hard time believing that you have ever lost an aff round because the other team knew what your aff was fifteen minutes more than you would have liked. Prepping with a coach very rarely results in a killer strategy. That sort of thing requires research and planning before the tournament.

See, this is countered if you run a squirrely or otherwise unorthodox plan.

The only offhand example I can think of is:

If it's the junior league chess championship, and the player on white has to disclose his opening strategy, is it fair for the player on red to get help from Gary Kasparov?

Considering there's no such thing as an "A" team on our squad because we don't practice that form of elitism I'm not sure who you're referring to.

Are you sure, or is it just unspoken? I.E. Whatever two teams your coach chose to go to Emory would probably be the "A" and "B" teams. At my school its not obviously defined, as in Im the A team and your the B team now suck my balls and clean my dishes. But everyone knows who the "A" team is and the coach shows (at least at times) some type of favoritism.

LMFAO speak for your self mike.

• Downvote 1