MELE-MEL

Worst thing you've ever seen done in a round

Well, it's not too bad, but in my first ever tournament (I was going mav), the first round, one of the girls on the other team (which shall remain nameless) had a motormouth, which isn't bad in itself, but her 1AC was essentially "ShumblllethdbudContention2srunimbleiggerSolvencyswourvnembsoadusyn..." and it continued. I had to get my whole flow by reading her cards, but she was going too fast to keep up. I wound up having to read nothing but off-case. The judge got really mad at her after the round. She had great speed, but horrific diction. That was the only round I lost that tournament. It would've been nice if it was because I was actually the worse debater, but whatever.

Anyway, my second tournament, I faced them (with a partner this time) again. In their 1NC, they ran 4 T violations, 3 Disads, and a CP. That round pretty much sucked. I cant remember who won, but their sheer lack of clarity made it close (we only got about half the arguments down and had to waste cross-x trying to straighten out our flows).

Maybe I should try their strategy - be as evil as possible to the other team in the hopes that they'll just flail like a fish out of water.

• Downvote 1

Well, it's not too bad, but in my first ever tournament (I was going mav), the first round, one of the girls on the other team (which shall remain nameless) had a motormouth, which isn't bad in itself, but her 1AC was essentially "ShumblllethdbudContention2srunimbleiggerSolvencyswourvnembsoadusyn..." and it continued. I had to get my whole flow by reading her cards, but she was going too fast to keep up. I wound up having to read nothing but off-case. The judge got really mad at her after the round. She had great speed, but horrific diction. That was the only round I lost that tournament. It would've been nice if it was because I was actually the worse debater, but whatever.

Anyway, my second tournament, I faced them (with a partner this time) again. In their 1NC, they ran 4 T violations, 3 Disads, and a CP. That round pretty much sucked. I cant remember who won, but their sheer lack of clarity made it close (we only got about half the arguments down and had to waste cross-x trying to straighten out our flows).

Maybe I should try their strategy - be as evil as possible to the other team in the hopes that they'll just flail like a fish out of water.

4 Ts?

what topic was this

4 Ts?

what topic was this

Landmines Aff, on this years Rez (PHA to SSA, duh). Three out of the four were crappy timesucks, and one was annoyingly legitimate. We still won the T's, but I think it was one of the DAs that screwed us over.

In one round, my teammates faced a team that had this to say in the CX. "Yes, African is one country, they speak Africanese."

I also had one team run an unconditional CP against us. My partner and I were surprised, as not many people do that. Then they drop it in the 2NR and my 2AR is half filled up with "Judge vote them down for cheating." The other half is making up why we are T. The judge crossed out who won the round three or four times. When I asked where she voted, she said T and solvency. Hooray for parent judges voting on T for the Aff.

Last year though, one of our teams hit another team who ran an illegal immigrants with shotguns Aff to shoot seagulls. It was weird.

In one round, my teammates faced a team that had this to say in the CX. "Yes, African is one country, they speak Africanese."

I also had one team run an unconditional CP against us. My partner and I were surprised, as not many people do that. Then they drop it in the 2NR and my 2AR is half filled up with "Judge vote them down for cheating." The other half is making up why we are T. The judge crossed out who won the round three or four times. When I asked where she voted, she said T and solvency. Hooray for parent judges voting on T for the Aff.

Last year though, one of our teams hit another team who ran an illegal immigrants with shotguns Aff to shoot seagulls. It was weird.

What is it with seagulls? I could've sworn I heard a DDT round this year involving seagull extinction.

What is it with seagulls? I could've sworn I heard a DDT round this year involving seagull extinction.

Nah, that is about eagles and pelicans. No, last year, some team ran we should give illegal immigrants guns to shoot seagulls. I don't remember the advantages but it was pretty interesting to hear about.

Personal experience, last weekend.

As a note, this is Student Congress, not debate.

I'm giving a con speech to a piece of legislation dealing with increasing nuclear power incentives. My second point was that the impact on CO2 emmisions wouldn't be that great if the US switched over to nuclear power. I was disscussing how other nations caused a large percentage of the problem.

"Other nations in the developing world cause more CO2 emmisions. These include China, Africa, and other Asian nations."

• Downvote 2

Perhaps not worst, but the other team broke up in raucous laughter.

"We'll win this debate every time. Look at my Wang in 05 that Taiwan is the most likely scenario for a US-China war...."

In terms of:

Ignorance Cairo, GA "Muslims become terrorists because they don't have schools."

Potty Humor My partner "And that's why you should vote neg now excuse me judge before I piss my pants."

Self-made argument (about Peace Corps distributing digital information to Africans) "What's to stop the Kenyans from checking out MySpace?"

We won that round, oddly enough

First novice round ever, my team floods the tournament so we end up hitting each other.

We're aff.

1AC: Immigrants should join Americorps because it solves the economy.

1NC: But what about the homeless people?

You debated your own team?

We had a girl on neg once who after reading all her evidence, began to read all of her questions from the previous cross examination. It was ungodly hilarious

one of ours ran T.. im not even kidding..

well you could technicly use something like TSD if you dont use nuke impacts other wise omg

Last prelim round of JV at Stanford. We were aff, and the other team ran 3 disads, 2 T's, and a counterplan, so my partner and I panicked because they were running so much stuff. My partner and I both suck at spewing, and in my partner's 2AC she read a very lengthy block that we hadn't read through on one of the disads, and that took almost the entire speech. (Meanwhile, I was desprately trying to find the ONE CARD that would save us, but alas I could not.) They extended all the stuff we dropped in the block. In my 1AR, I decided we weren't going to win unless I answered the dropped stuff, even though it was a rebuttal. So I think I covered everything, plus a new theory, and spewed faster than I ever have in a rebuttal. The 2NR goes off on how I brought up new args in the rebuttals, in addition to extending stuff. In 2AR prep, I wrote my partner a block to why new args in the rebuttals are good. While she's giving her speech, I'm reading over her shoulder, pointing to which file she should read next, and I think at one point I was just saying stuff for her to repeat. There was a lot of jumping around on my part. When she's done, I just collapse in my chair laughing and take a picture of our obscenely messy files. Then one of the people on the other team asked me, "Are you always this hyper?"

We lost on T.

This was a round where I had not had any caffeine.

My favorite ever:

We ask the judge for her paradigm, she gets really mad and goes on about how she's done debate for 20 years and she's very well qualified. Then she falls off her chair during the 2ac, forgets what speech we're on in the block so she starts yelling at me for starting cx, oh and all through this round she's been flowing case, cp, t, and da on one flow...

then she gives my partner crazy low speaks for "not being dressed up enough"

my other fav:

(round I was watching, not in)

in the 2nr kid says,

"I'm going to do a little underview for ya'll... this debate has been lots of good and bad and good and bad and good and bad, but mostly bad. And really, the question you should be asking yourself in this round is 'what the fuck?'" then he says "and the aff is right, but you should still vote neg"

it was crazy epic. Cuz it was a finals round.

dude, after a round this crazy bearded hippy guy went nuts...

its on youtube i think.

he was completely out of control and like mooned everyone!?

i mean, this is debate. i have higher standards for intellectual discourse.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

My partner and I were Novices and hit some team at CSUF last year. We ran water, and I later found out that they ran a Fear of Death K. (Which we had never heard of before.) But in the round, the 1NC stands up and starts spreading at the speed of light, running all of her words together - all at the volume level of a whisper. So, we figure we'll grab her cards and flow them... all of the tags are handwritten in chicken-scratch. And there's no file title. I couldn't make out a single word.

Oh, and the RFD was fabulous. The judge was really good friends with the Neg team's coach and had helped them write the file or something? And his RFD basically consisted of explaining to us that the Neg was brilliant and that we were complete idiots.

It was fabulous.

(P.S. Yeah, we should have had answers... but we were Novices. Haha.)

The worst thing i have ever seen was the 2AC dropping all of my arguments and then texting during hee partners 1AR. It was the easiest debate round i ever participated in.

Pick up a book of "fatherly wisdom" from the room in which I was debating, bust it out in my 2NC, and read, "Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out." Then apply this to my Nietzsche K to support the claim that we must accept the risks in the 1AC in order to live a full life. We lost.

Edited by SamLeCates
Good
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Some team ran an rps case and one of the inherency points linked directly into our federalism d/a. We then proceeded to own them repeatly about it, saying that the states would never accept it and it would cause a domestic civil war. Yeah, we won that round. Then there was another time, a guy came up and said that the reason why are plan wasn't being accepted was because Warren Buffett and Pickens don't think it's worthy enough to invest in. I got up for cross-x, started out with a few easy questions (Can I see the Warren Buffett card? Don't have one. Do you know who T. Boone Pickens is? Yes. Are you aware that he made most of his money off natural gas and oil? Yes. So wouldn't you think he would be advocating the use of those resources in order to make money off of those? Yes.) My partner and I then became vultures and began cleaning up what was left of that sorry team.

• Downvote 2

Judging a novice round---

me- : do you have a roadmap?"

debater- " i'm sorry we dont disclose"

i was so pissed cause the team did that the entire round and i probably ended up writing args on the wrong flow since they also never told me when they were going to a different arg

they lost, but not b/c of their sheer inability to give me a simple freakin roadmap

--Same tourament--different round

Neg team: How much is your plan going to cost?

Aff team: BILLIONS of dollars....

Neg team: (smirking) how many billions of dollars?

Aff team: Umm..... hundreds of billions of dollars...?

The funny thing was the aff teams cards specified how much money would actually be spend, but since they didn't know their case that well...

they got screwed over with Bearden and econ. collape= extinction... cause they never realized price was in their evidence....

once my partner conceded the 1ac in the 2ac because he said the plan was "mutually exclusive with the cp". Then he ran some random file he hadn't read before....... we were novices

• Downvote 2

this isnt really that bad, but kinda funny. so in my prelims at my last tourny, when the 2N read, he rocked back and forth really fast. I tried to read along with him, but couldnt, cus of his movements. I then found out that I could follow if I rocked with him at the same speed that he did. It probably looked really weird and funny, but w/e. it helped.

• Upvote 1