MELE-MEL

Worst thing you've ever seen done in a round

Since we didn't get into specifics, my "no dehumanization to stop dehumanization" caveat is pointing out that there are some levels we shouldn't go to to stop rape. We shouldn't put all men in solitary confinement, though that would certainly prevent rape. At a more realistic level, we shouldn't abandon due process protection for defendants. Contra Amanda Marcotte's post this week, we shouldn't throw women in jail to force them to testify against men they accuse of rape.

Agreed but

. The discourse K you're pointing out is not what I actually said. And the original round georgebushdogpaintings discussed appears to have been a travesty, but not simply because a debater who said "rape is inevitable" got a win.

this seems to be at odds with

Academic theorists have been positing ways to alter human nature to eliminate murder, violence, and any other anti-social behavior. They generally call for the abolition of freedom in the process (e.g., Skinner), but what does that matter?

and

You want to claim that the evil of rape can be absolutely eradicated without promoting a greater evil in turn? .

At the very least, it was pretty heavily implied that attempting to stop rape with snarf's method (though he never gave one)  would cause oh so many bad things, and that inevitability is a legitimate reason not to pursue the reduction of suffering.   I do admit i did somewhat misread your arguments.

Also, to address another part of what you said, i believe the "evil men" in Iran are being very well dealt with by "deft rhetoric" rather than the threat of a mliitary strike, which would probably do more to cause war than to stop it.  Munich is the most overused example by Neocons to justify the 'invade a country' doctrine of the past 70 years.  

Also begs the question of if Hitler were so anxious for war, wouldn't he have just fired off WWII no matter what Britain did.  Not to mention that the war had roots in the attempt to preemptively weaken Germany in the treaty of Versailles

• Upvote 1

At the very least, it was pretty heavily implied that attempting to stop rape with snarf's method (though he never gave one)  would cause oh so many bad things, and that inevitability is a legitimate reason not to pursue the reduction of suffering.   I do admit i did somewhat misread your arguments.

Apologies for the lack of clarity. I'm defending a Sowell "tragic vision" outlook, not attacking a specific plan to stop rape. Changing cultural norms is sometimes extremely effective (as per Snarf's WHO article), but in some cases can go too far. Debate should be about figuring out where the line goes, not about condemning your opponent as evil for suggesting there might be a line.

Also, to address another part of what you said, i believe the "evil men" in Iran are being very well dealt with by "deft rhetoric" rather than the threat of a mliitary strike, which would probably do more to cause war than to stop it.  Munich is the most overused example by Neocons to justify the 'invade a country' doctrine of the past 70 years.  

Also begs the question of if Hitler were so anxious for war, wouldn't he have just fired off WWII no matter what Britain did.  Not to mention that the war had roots in the attempt to preemptively weaken Germany in the treaty of Versailles

Well, I hope so :). My reference to evil men there was in terms of rape, not diplomacy, and while Iran is willing to talk, I doubt most rapists will stop for a bit of civilized argument.

I expect the evil men in Iran are much more accurately being dealt with through a combination of diplomacy, sanctions, threats, and covert action. Kerry's words, if backed by nothing, probably won't convince anyone of anything--but backed by the carrot of removing sanctions and the twin sticks of the threat of military action and Israeli covert action (e.g., Stuxnet), diplomacy might succeed.

As to actual WW2, yes, Hitler would have invaded anyways--and Hitler would have done much less damage. Harry Turtledove's sprawling ongoing series "The War That Came Early" is about this scenario, and his prognosis is only implausible in that had France and Britain invaded while the German army was busy in the Sudetenland, they wouldn't have been stopped short of Berlin. Only Hitler's correct estimate that Britain and France were still too traumatized by the Great War to start a necessary preemptive war allowed him to take over Central Europe with no significant resistance.

Not that every such situation justifies invasion, but in retrospect, Munich was a tremendous blunder.

As to actual WW2, yes, Hitler would have invaded anyways--and Hitler would have done much less damage. Harry Turtledove's sprawling ongoing series "The War That Came Early" is about this scenario, and his prognosis is only implausible in that had France and Britain invaded while the German army was busy in the Sudetenland, they wouldn't have been stopped short of Berlin. Only Hitler's correct estimate that Britain and France were still too traumatized by the Great War to start a necessary preemptive war allowed him to take over Central Europe with no significant resistance.

Another Turtledove fan. Me likey

I think Turtledove's prognosis gets a bit sketchy when Britain switches sides, has a coup, then switches sides again.

Also have you read his American Front series?  By far my favorite of his works

Had a round this past weekend at UGA where I asked the 1N I was cross-xing to articulate a link to our plan (they were running security K) and they just went SILENT for almost 30 seconds until I moved on. And they dropped condo bad. Not the absolute WORST thing I've ever seen but still pretty bad.

Like really. I get that we're novices, but if you're going to run something, know what you're running.

Edited by USNHannah17
  • Upvote 3

Had a round this past weekend at UGA where I asked the 1N I was cross-xing to articulate a link to our plan (they were running security K) and they just went SILENT for almost 30 seconds until I moved on. And they dropped condo bad. Not the absolute WORST thing I've ever seen but still pretty bad.

Like really. I get that we're novices, but if you're going to run something, know what you're running.

Omg i was at UGA too, was it Johns Creek. We hit their security K in octas and they dropped Vague Alts Utopian Fiat and Judge Choice throey. The 2N literally just read her blocks.

We ended up dropping that round on a stupid 2-1 because my 1AR was only 45 seconds on Appeasement but its whatever.

On an unrelated note:

New worst thing in a round, this ones pretty bad. Our first novice round at UGA the 2N reads a new Normativity K in the block with no alt whatsoever and no specific link and in cross x didnt know what normativity was and when we asked the status of the K, didnt know what that was and when we asked if it was conditional he didnt know whatt that was either. It was bad. And its even funnier because before the round the judge said if you run a K as a novice you have to understand it and be REALLY good.

Omg i was at UGA too, was it Johns Creek. We hit their security K in octas and they dropped Vague Alts Utopian Fiat and Judge Choice throey. The 2N literally just read her blocks.

We ended up dropping that round on a stupid 2-1 because my 1AR was only 45 seconds on Appeasement but its whatever.

On an unrelated note:

New worst thing in a round, this ones pretty bad. Our first novice round at UGA the 2N reads a new Normativity K in the block with no alt whatsoever and no specific link and in cross x didnt know what normativity was and when we asked the status of the K, didnt know what that was and when we asked if it was conditional he didnt know whatt that was either. It was bad. And its even funnier because before the round the judge said if you run a K as a novice you have to understand it and be REALLY good.

Appeasement T or appeasement DA? If it was T that's usually what I'll spend on T if they go for it in the block.

Edited by USNHannah17

1NC CX of my first debate ever against a CP:

Me: So how is your counterplan topical?

Them: Its not....

Me to my partner during prep time: Lets go for topicality against them

• Upvote 4

Our B team ran Schopenhauer against the systemic Maquillas 1AC with the alt as let extinction happen... 

There wasn't even a 2AR given, after the 2NR the judge just disclosed. 

Edited by CodyGustafson
  • Upvote 5

A team i know ran Schope... and XO... and went for both in the 2NR.  They won both, and therefore lost the debate,

• Upvote 6

At the state tournament my partner said in CX that Hamas had nuked israel "a bunch of times". We had lay judges in the back, so we lost as soon as that happened. 

At the state tournament my partner said in CX that Hamas had nuked israel "a bunch of times". We had lay judges in the back, so we lost as soon as that happened. 

good thing the lay judge made the right decision

• Upvote 5

On an unrelated note:

Are you guys novices? I was at UGA also.... What teams did you guys hit?

KTricksfordays, on 02 Mar 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:snapback.png

Wait, the 1AR was 45 seconds long, or just 45 seconds on the K?

@cintrepid Yeah we are novices

I hit a bad GDS team, Westminster BB, Woodward SH, MBA RZ, MBA Liam and ???, and Milton ?, Then lost to 2 girls from johns creek in Octas

@Snark Neither actually. The 1AR was probably 2 min on the K and only 45 seconds on the Appeasement DA. It was the full 5 min long... ;)

Are you guys novices? I was at UGA also.... What teams did you guys hit?

Oh cool :D! What school are you from?

1st round: Montgomery Bell Academy, our rival frenemies (win by forfeit...so unsatisfying)

2nd round: Alpharetta (won)

3rd round: Milton (lost)

4th round: Woodward (won)

5th round: A different Woodward (lost)

6th round: MBA again (won)

Unfortunately my partner and I missed breaking on speaks :(, but it was still a lot of fun :)!

Oh cool :D! What school are you from?

1st round: Montgomery Bell Academy, our rival frenemies (win by forfeit...so unsatisfying)

2nd round: Alpharetta (won)

3rd round: Milton (lost)

4th round: Woodward (won)

5th round: A different Woodward (lost)

6th round: MBA again (won)

Unfortunately my partner and I missed breaking on speaks :(, but it was still a lot of fun :)!

@cintrepid Yeah we are novices

I hit a bad GDS team, Westminster BB, Woodward SH, MBA RZ, MBA Liam and ???, and Milton ?, Then lost to 2 girls from johns creek in Octas

@Snark Neither actually. The 1AR was probably 2 min on the K and only 45 seconds on the Appeasement DA. It was the full 5 min long... ;)

im Gulliver Prep im surprised you guys didnt hit any carollton teams there were prob like 10 lol me and my partner beat one of them on ASPEC they never answered it #novicedivision we also beat Marist or Marvist and they were pretty good it was a weird aff though....... Cuban Biofuels. i also hit some Woodward teams we lost against them once because of our 2nr it was really bad and the girl's computer broke and she gave her 2ac without any cards yet we still lost

I'm in LD and back when I was a novice, one of the topics was Resolved: Individuals have a moral obligation to assist people in need. One person I debated ran a value of morality and  then spent 6 minutes saying that because 76% of Americans are Christian, and because Christians have the story of the good Samaritan, the resolution is true.

My rebuttal was that only 1 in 3 people in the story of the good Samaritan aided the person in need and that that person was a gentile, so her one example was flawed. The judge dropped me citing religious beliefs....

im Gulliver Prep im surprised you guys didnt hit any carollton teams there were prob like 10 lol me and my partner beat one of them on ASPEC they never answered it #novicedivision we also beat Marist or Marvist and they were pretty good it was a weird aff though....... Cuban Biofuels. i also hit some Woodward teams we lost against them once because of our 2nr it was really bad and the girl's computer broke and she gave her 2ac without any cards yet we still lost

What aff did Georgetown Day run against you first round? And opinions on the judge in that round?

What aff did Georgetown Day run against you first round? And opinions on the judge in that round?

some weird embargo aff with ethanol heres the plan text: 

Plan: As they pertain to crude oil and sugar cane ethanol, the United States federal government should exempt United States firms from restrictions on exploring, extracting, refining, importing, or coordinating engineering and safety protocols with the Republic of Cuba.

• Upvote 1

this was the round that we shouldve won but the 2nr was shit so we lost... the judge was alright i guess nothing bad he felt bad for us he said he wanted to vote for us but he couldnt just because of our 2nr which was horrible thanks to my super novice partner..................... if you want the whole 1ac pm me or give me ur email

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

some weird embargo aff with ethanol heres the plan text: 

Plan: As they pertain to crude oil and sugar cane ethanol, the United States federal government should exempt United States firms from restrictions on exploring, extracting, refining, importing, or coordinating engineering and safety protocols with the Republic of Cuba.

Sounds like someone mixed two affs together for more advantage areas. They also link to double the case neg though.

• Upvote 3

Sounds like someone mixed two affs together for more advantage areas. They also link to double the case neg though.

Ya that is true.  They also won't really to be able to get any warming based advantages from the ethanol piece because the oil would offset any benefits to the environment.  Probably not too strategic.