MELE-MEL

Worst thing you've ever seen done in a round

so wait, was he not flowing? and ya writing your 1AR during the 2AC is a bad idea because you'll probably drop most of the arguments made in the block if you prep it out during the 2AC.

• Upvote 2

One round I accidentally dropped a K in the 2ac (due to changing the order but not making the change in my speech doc.) The neg kicked it in the block.

• Upvote 4

one round we hit this team that only spent like 30 second in the 1ar on T so we went for it and the 2AR had almost nothing to say. it was pretty funny.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

so wait, was he not flowing? and ya writing your 1AR during the 2AC is a bad idea because you'll probably drop most of the arguments made in the block if you prep it out during the 2AC.

Wait... I've been writing half of my 1ARs during the 2AC, flowing during the block, and taking 2 or three minutes of prep to write out the rest of the 1AR after the block. Have I been doing it all wrong?

Judging a JV round:

Aff reads their aff- Cuba Ethanol

Neg reads their aff- Cuba Embargo

I vote neg because the neg solves a greater risk of nuke war.

but it was so great. Like Idk if they meant for that to be a counterplan but It didn't seem like it. They did good Impact comparison so I was like this team is either smart with what they have, or dumb with what they know (in terms of arguments).

He flowed the 1nc if we were aff or the 1ac when we were neg.  Straight down in the middle of his notebook.

I gained a lot of perverse enjoyment by reading through this thread and seeing how bad my cross-x posts used to be. What I used to think was funny seems extremely dumb now. What I used to think was clever seems shallow. It makes me more hopeful that I'll be able to improve at other skills I'm not so good at.

Edited by Squidpaste
  • Upvote 3

We ran politics, oil prices DA, and T on mexico solar energy. The politics disad is ran with a generic "economic engagement with Mexico" link, and our opponent one-points it and just says "We do not link to the argument. Moving on..." I ask her in cross-x to explain, and her response was simply "We are not economic engagement, so the link falls." Ahhh, novices...

Edited by USMessi

I don't know if it's fair as it was the kids first time debating (Varsity and Novice got collapsed), but for the 2NC against our aff, he read the exact same speech as the 1NC but slower, so he was at 10 or 11 minutes before the judge cut him off. (My partner forgot to start a timer so we didn't know how long until the judge said something, we had stopped following the speech except to make sure he didn't read anything new.)

one of our teams ran into a Nietzsche K where the alt was to flip a coin at the end of the round, and whoever loses has to embrace the suffering of defeat.

cx: "If suffering is good, how about you lose the debate if it lands heads or tails, and we lose if it lands sideways? Either way suffering occurs."

"Okay."

Flip lands heads, and neg loses with a huge grin on their faces.

one of our teams ran into a Nietzsche K where the alt was to flip a coin at the end of the round, and whoever loses has to embrace the suffering of defeat.

cx: "If suffering is good, how about you lose the debate if it lands heads or tails, and we lose if it lands sideways? Either way suffering occurs."

"Okay."

Flip lands heads, and neg loses with a huge grin on their faces.

Worst thing done in round? That's actually pretty cool. 

• Upvote 1

Worst thing done in round? That's actually pretty cool. 

It was pretty funny in the moment, but the other team was pissed afterwards. I also left out that they ran a K aff and for the next few speeches they just read some silly Ks we wrote in camp to counter their K, like the Socrates K, Buddha K, Abu-Jamal K

It was pretty funny in the moment, but the other team was pissed afterwards. I also left out that they ran a K aff and for the next few speeches they just read some silly Ks we wrote in camp to counter their K, like the Socrates K, Buddha K, Abu-Jamal K

Are you Leyba? And which team hit this? Because your first post sounds like an exact description of my neg round against Oliver Tahmasiyan at KCKCC

Edit: I'm assuming you're Sam Smith

Edited by OfficerTom

Are you Leyba? And which team hit this? Because your first post sounds like an exact description of my neg round against Oliver Tahmasiyan at KCKCC

I actually was Leyba's partner at KCKCC. After talking to him (since its been a while), I forgot that it was just someone on our squad judging that team. My memory sucks. Also it was our other team running juarez who ran all those Ks

Edited by Smitty

I debate in the homeschool debate league stoa and this year's topic is marine natural resource policy. 

So we where running against this novice team and they where running a ban GMO salmon aff. In they're 1AC they point out that nobody wants gmo salmon and try to pass it off a reason to ban it.

In my 1NC I mostly run T and that is GMOs are man made they're by definition not natural. In his 2NC my partner runs inher and says if nobody wants GMO salmon it doesn't matter that it's legalized because nobody gonna sell it or but it. He brought up a couple of other inher points and a sig point that all it would take to bring about they're harms is for one pissed of fish farmer to release of his fish.

They agreed with my arg that gmos where manmade but said it was still natural because they where organic and not robots. I said that nobody said they weren't organic it's just by our def of natural resources natural meant found in nature therefore manmade was not natural. they said 'well by that def nothing manmade is natural! my coat or this table is not natural!' Well no crap it's not!

They're response to the inher arg was that because nobody wants gmos is the reason we need to ban them. Talk about circular logic. They also said 'Well judge debates about gmos have been going on for 17 years! We need to stop these debates because debates are a wast of time!' LOL!

So basically they admitted they were not T or inher and tried to use that as an arg of why they were T and inher. They also dropped all of our disads and our sig point in the 1AR.

Yeah we won that round.

In his 2NC my partner runs inher 

yeah, that is the worst thing to do in a round.

• Upvote 3

1NC: (Not the bad part) I made my partner run Neolib in a round, but he wasn't able to read the alt card in the 1NC [i read in block]. The alt was reject + create a Latin American bloc to oppose NL.

2AC: They have the alt card from flashing, but spend 1:30 reading that alts that only reject are bad and then another 1:00 saying saying cap K2 stuff even though my partner specifically said that cap is fine, NL is the problem. In the 1AR they then argue that we didn't propose an alternative and read more theory saying that there needs to be an alt. 

2AC-Part 2: We read all off in the 1NC, and they read about a minute of theory in saying no case arguments are allowed in the 2NC, which got dropped mind you.

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex

In our aff we read poetry with a card that says poetry is key to resolving conflicts, my partner decided to take this too far.  The neg read a conditions CP with the plan text,"Do the plan on the premise that Mexico saves the sea turtles"(something like that)  They went for the CP in the 2nr and my partner spent half of the 2ar yelling at the judge panel,"They don't read poetry for the sea turtles and since since turtles can't write you vote aff on the fact that the CP doesn't solve."  He then proceeded to spent the rest of the rebuttal on case with no more argumentation on the CP.  That being said we still won the round.

Edited by Mitch13
  • Upvote 2

In our aff we read poetry with a card that says poetry is key to resolving conflicts, my partner decided to take this too far.  The neg read a conditions CP with the plan text,"Do the plan on the premise that Mexico saves the sea turtles"(something like that)  They went for the CP in the 2nr and my partner spent half of the 2ar yelling at the judge panel,"They don't read poetry for the sea turtles and since since turtles can't write you vote aff on the fact that the CP doesn't solve."  He then proceeded to spent the rest of the rebuttal on case with no more argumentation on the CP.  That being said we still won the round.

That sounds pretty similar to a round I had where a team had a solvency defecit to the alt on anthro which was that we didn't read cow poetry.

This is the 'worst thing you ever seen in a round.' I'm pretty sure you need to go to the 'best thing you've ever seen in a round'

And the exact quote is "We need to read poems written by sea turtles to understand them"

<3 <3 <3

This is the 'worst thing you ever seen in a round.' I'm pretty sure you need to go to the 'best thing you've ever seen in a round'

And the exact quote is "We need to read poems written by sea turtles to understand them"

<3 <3 <3

this might be because you made their aff as well as probably told alex to say something like that... that's a very you thing to do....

Wait, you read "rape good" in a suffering K, or the other team did?

we didn't read rape good... the affirmative was a disabilities aff and we ran general suffering, they should accept their suffering... the other team stood up and talked about how if people were raped they should not have to accept their suffering and you would never tell someone who was raped that they should...i was the 2nd but this was my partner's idea and i stood up and said that how everyone should accept their suffering including the disabled and abused and raped. it would help them move on in life. so we didn't bring up rape but they did so we kind of added it on.

This isn't funny. Fuck both of you.

hi, i agree with you but i think you need to understand that what i debate about and the arguments i make are not my personal opinions. also this wasn't meant to be funny. i totally get how you might think i'm trolling or trying to make light of a super serious situation but i wasn't i was debating and it was my third tournament i had ever done and we ran this k. i also apologized after round if i had offended anyone. also i would like to point out how this is the WORST thing you've ever done not the best. it was a pretty tense round and i'm not proud of what i said and i again don't agree with that but it was in debate round and we went for the best option in the 2nr.  most people don't agree with what they run but as of that day and today, while i do go for the suffering k i have never brought a topic like that ever again into a round. i felt the need to clarify myself and to explain the situation because not only you but a few other people were offended. thank you

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The judge picked you up on Suffering Good with a "rape makes you stronger" analytic? Surprising, most judge paradigms are pretty clear they drop this on ethics straight up...

Also, I was at a local tourney last month and a brand new team was there. Tey clearly didn't know what spreading was (or mostly anything). The 1AC affirmed the Rez, but only read about 6 cards on the embargo (including inherency). The 1NC was T-EE, Neolib, and China then on case. The 2AC was 1AC extensions and case add-ons about Maquiladoras. xD

My 2NR was 1 min on how they dropped T, so we had to win and 4 minutes explaining what T was to other team and how to answer and why that's important.