MELE-MEL

Worst thing you've ever seen done in a round

in the 5th round at u of m round robin the judge was giving her critics, and told my partner and i that we won solvency (we were neg meaning we won that their affirmative had no solvency). she later went on to vote affirmative because, "Solvency is more of a luxury, not a necessity."

i was speechless for the next 3 rounds

• Upvote 1

This just happened 2 days ago at TFA State in LD, it was round 2 I was 1-0 hitting a kid that was god awful.  I ran a 2 off, distinguished the A Priori, etc. etc. and turned AC. Aff just tried extending case the entire time, never answered turns, never even touched the K or the DA, no theory, no "presume aff" no offense or terminal defense, just a typical stock case. After the round was over, it was an easy decision, I saw the other guy just about to leave (not even wanting to hear the RFD) when she says she voted Aff. He almost dropped his stuff and sat back down, while I just stared at her. She then proceeded to say this,

"The K was A Priori, your solvency stood, and your turns stood. Your DA is still intact as well. But that doesn't mean I have to vote for you." 

I was so mad I began to ask her questions. In the end I asked this, 

How does the aff have any offense or terminal defense, and how can you not vote on the K and Da if they are completely dropped?

She just said, he had none, but she didn't want to vote on the K. Her paradigms before the round said she loved critical literature, and I even asked her if she enjoyed the arguments and philosophers I was running. 

I reported it to my coach after round three (I was 2-1 at that point) and my coach said there was nothing I could do about it. The funny thing was, this round was the only thing stopping me from breaking at state. Guess I know who to strike now.

• Upvote 1

Status quo, Dolan, an American cardinal, won't be elected. The plan is a "spiritual issue" (depending on what the aff's plan is), so that makes Dolan speak out against it and gain more popularity. That means he'll be more likely to be elected, and the impact ranges from geopoolitical anger against the US (think heg bad without the heg) for having too much influence, Middle East Peace Process, and infinite holy war (yes, that's a thing).

I'm actually posting this from inside a van right now, on my way to another tournament, and I'll probably be running it again (I'm a 1N, so yeah).

My season's over so can you PM me that shell?

At my first debate, I remember hearing a guy say "Judge if you vote for us, you will land yourself a kiss from Katy Perry."

• Upvote 1

At my first debate, I remember hearing a guy say "Judge if you vote for us, you will land yourself a kiss from Katy Perry."

only a risk...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"Even if you don't buy Ashtar sucks you'll vote them down because fuck them, that's why"

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you learned that phrase from

I'm done with my season, so I might as well post it here for laughs for the whole community. Apparently, it's been compared to Ashtar and time cube (I'm apparently that bad).

I was debating the college topic, so it's contextual to energy production (though not really). It also doesn't matter anymore since they're in the conclave already, and they aren't influenced by the outside anymore.

Dolan currently unlikely to be elected

O'Dowd 13 – Niall, IrishCentral Founder

[February 11, http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Could-Cardinal-Timothy-Dolan-from-New-York-be-the-first-American-pope-190653231.html] ap

Could New York Cardinal Timothy Patrick Dolan be the next pope? He is definitely a legitimate contender, the first American one ever, according to Vatican insiders. The odds may not be great (he’s 25/1 with Paddy Power) but he is known to be deeply popular in Vatican circles and could well be a surprise choice in a conclave where there is no obvious front runner. Dolan would be a remarkable choice. He is very popular in New York (where, like the next pope, his predecessor is still living) and he has the worldwide reach that might make him a very popular candidate.

Nuclear energy is a deeply spiritual issue

Yaworski 7 – Kiply Lukan, Canadian Catholic News

[March 6, http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=23287] ap

"The nuclear industry is a cancer industry whose transient byproduct is the production of electricity, but it's main byproduct is nuclear waste and that's going to cause millions of cancers for the rest of time," as well as an ever-increasing number of genetic diseases. Issues surrounding nuclear energy do not centre on economic questions, she asserted. "This is a totally moral, deeply spiritual issue. It's about medicine, global preventive medicine." In addition to founding the Nuclear Policy Research Institute, Caldicott is the co-founder of Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR), an organization of 23,000 doctors committed to educating their colleagues about the dangers of nuclear power, nuclear weapons and nuclear war. International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, the umbrella group for PSR, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1985.

Dolan will oppose the plan, making him more likely to be elected

Allen 13 – John L., Jr., New York Daily News

[February 17, http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/american-pope-article-1.1024531] ap

The trash heaps of history, however, are littered with supposed experts who tried to predict the next Pope. Whatever Dolan's future may hold, his present seems abundantly clear. He is now the premier face and voice of the Catholic Church in the United States, one of a handful of religious leaders whose influence extends beyond the boundaries of their own denomination. In that regard, three things about Dolan seem especially noteworthy. First, Dolan is a strong conservative, and under his leadership the Catholic Church won't be bashful about taking clear political stands. For instance, Dolan came out swinging against the Obama administration after it upheld new mandates requiring virtually all private employers to cover sterilizations and contraception as part of their health care plans. Dolan called it an unprecedented move, compelling "individuals and organizations to go out into the marketplace and buy a product that violates their conscience." That strong stance helped force Obama into the compromise he announced on Friday. With Dolan at the helm, the American bishops will become steadily more outspoken against what they see as threats to religious liberty.

That triggers geopolitical anger

Allen 13 – John L., Jr., New York Daily News

[February 17, http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/american-pope-article-1.1024531] ap

Conventional wisdom holds that no American can be elected Pope of the Catholic Church, for the same reason that no American can be Secretary General of the UN - because it would upset the geopolitical apple cart. Leaders of global institutions want to be seen as fair brokers, not agents of the superpowers. The taboo against an American pontiff held force during the 20th century, and despite the fact that we live in a more multi-polar world, it probably remains basically valid now.

Geopower is at the root of war and makes aff impacts inevitable

Tuathail 96 – Gearoid, professor of government and international affairs at the School of Public and International Affairs in Virginia Tech

[Critical Geopolitics: the politics of writing global space Page/s 1-2 GooglePrint] ap

Geography is about power. Although often assumed to be innocent, the geography of the world is not a product of nature but a product of histories of struggle between competing authorities over the power to organize, occupy, and administer space. Imperial systems throughout history, from classical Greece and Rome to China and the Arab world, exercised their power through their ability to impose order and meaning upon space. In sixteenth-century Europe, the centralizing states of the "new monarchs" began organizing space around an intensified principle of royal absolutism. In regions both within and beyond the nominal domain of the Crown, the power of royal authority over space was extended and deepened by newly powerful court bureaucracies and armies. The results in many instances were often violent, as the jurisdictional ambitions of royal authority met the determined resistance of certain local and regional lords. Within the context of this struggle, the cartographic and other descriptive forms of knowledge that took the name "geography" in the earls modern period and that were written in the name of the sovereign could hardly be anything else but political. To the opponents of the expansionist court, "geography" was a foreign imposition, a form of knowledge conceived in imperial capitals and dedicated to the territorialization of space along lines established by royal authority. Geography was not something already possessed by the earth but an active writing of the earth by an expanding, centralizing imperial state. It was not a noun but a verb, a geo-graphing, an earth-writing by ambitious endocolonizing and exocolonizing states who sought to seize space and organize it to fit their own cultural visions and material interests. More than five hundred years later, this struggle between centralizing states and authoritative centers, on the one hand, and rebellious margins and dissident cultures, on the other hand, is still with us. While almost all of the land of the earth has now, been territorialized by states, the processes by which this disciplining of space by modern states occurs remain highly contested. From Chechnya to Chiapas and from Rondonia to Kurdistan and Fast Timor, the jurisdictions of centralized nation-states strive to eliminate the Contradictions of marginalized peoples and nations. Idealized maps from the center clash with the lived geographies of the margin, with the controlling cartographic visions of the former frequently inducing cultural conflict, war, and displacement. Indeed, the rise in the absolute numbers of displaced peoples in the past twenty-five years is testimony to the persistence of struggles over space and place. In 1993 the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees estimated that roughly 1 in every 130 people on earth has been forced into flight because of war and state persecution. In 1970 there were 2.5 million refugees in the world; today that figure is well over 18.2 million. In addition an estimated 24 million people are internally displaced within their own states because of conflict. More recently, genocide in Rwanda left over 500,000 murdered and produced an unprecedented exodus of refugees from that state into surrounding states. Refugees continue to be generated by "ethnic cleansing" campaigns in the Balkans; economic collapse in Cuba; ethnic wars in the Caucasus; state repression in Guatemala, Turkey, Indonesia, Iraq, and Sudan; and xenophobic terror in many other states. Struggles over the ownership, administration, and mastery of space are an inescapable part of the dynamic of contemporary global politics.

• Upvote 8

^ that's so trolly......must use at next tournament

Unless your next tournament is this week; I'm pretty sure they're set to elect the next pope by sunday.

edit: Oh, they're processing into the sistine chapel right now, to have the conclave. I guess it'll be pretty soon.

I don't remember the exact context of the argument is in but I judged some LD kids doing policy for the lulz say "that is like saying 'I consent to sex' and then two days later saying you were raped" in the 1AR.  The 2AR then extended it and I died on the inside.

Damn I hate these threads so much.

"OH SHIT MY NUB VARSITY TEAMMATES RAN A TOPICAL CP"

Why do novices feel the need to say the worst round ever was because some team ran a CP that was topical...they CAN BE TOPICAL FOLKS. After the 1AC- the debate shifts to a plan focus. This means that any negative strategy that disproves the idea that the plan is the best policy option should win.

This is the norm among good national and region circuit debate.

Even if you want to think this is bad and you personally hate it...It stops people from running aff's that are just bad idea's because the logical alternative would be topical- for example, solve AIDS by forced severing of the Penis for all infected males. Well I think condoms/arvs/education is sweet alternative along with a K of forced severing of the Penis- but OH NO ITS TOPICAL. The CP is good because it shows the aff is a bad idea.

Neg wins

...You do know there's this thing called "case", right? And that you don't need to prove a better alternative when the status quo IS a better alternative?

• Downvote 1

My coach teaches two schools, and at districts me and my partner were 2-3 heading into the last round(we wouldn't break no matter what) and the other schools top team was 4-1.  My coach told me to throw the round so they would qual(not all people who went 4-2 would qual, it depended on speaks)  We had a lay judge, so my partner went through the 1AC as fast as possible to piss the judge off.  We then proceed to kick all of our terminal impacts in the 1AR, and our response to immigration is"nah, the plan's popular".   We won because the judge didn't understand why neg talked about illegal immigrants the whole time when the aff was about railroads.  It takes skill to try to lose a round to a team that's better than you and still win. #swag

O god... Please tell me they still broke

• Upvote 2

The neg contradicted themselves (read econ collapse=war and econ collapse doesn't = war on two different offcase arguments) so I asked them about it in cross-x and they said "we reserve the right to multi-world fiat"

• Upvote 1

O god... Please tell me they still broke

The Top 8 teams broke...... they were 8th

• Upvote 1

The neg contradicted themselves (read econ collapse=war and econ collapse doesn't = war on two different offcase arguments) so I asked them about it in cross-x and they said "we reserve the right to multi-world fiat"

That happened to me, except their response in CX was just "I really don't know"

i was at glenbrooks jv, and i gave 5 min on suffering k and it was on the disabilities aff (i felt bad about that, especially after the one of the other team's member said her aunt was disabled... ) and most of it was on how rape was good... we won... 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

i was at glenbrooks jv, and i gave 5 min on suffering k and it was on the disabilities aff (i felt bad about that, especially after the one of the other team's member said her aunt was disabled... ) and most of it was on how rape was good... we won... 

Wait, you read "rape good" in a suffering K, or the other team did?

• Upvote 2

Novice year - the opposing team ran 4 Affirmative Plan Texts - not knowing what to do, I answered each individual Affirmative plan with different off-case and analytics - 

I once had a judge that said when I dropped a paper and I said "my bad," "yes you are!" I picked up X)