MELE-MEL

Worst thing you've ever seen done in a round

Uncondo bad? What, did you read a Kain card and condo standards?

Just the standards. They dropped it to. Easy, sad day for that judge.

I have a few:

My first debate, the other team ran an affirmative Feminism K. They kept calling it "fem." During the 2NC, my partner read a card that said the words "women don't matter." None of this sat very well with our (female) judge.

Same tournament, my partner and the other team got really pissy. It started with introductions when the other team made a crack at his name, intensified after a whispered "douchebag" remark after my partners 2NC, and culminated in a little outburst during the other team's 2AR, which the guy was having whispered to him by his partner, who also constantly cut him off and practically made half the speech. My partner said "could you please let him make his own speech." We won that debate, but really horrible speaker points were dished out on both sides.

We debated a team where one debater SCREAMED VERY LOUDLY when speaking. The judge advised her to calm down. We went up against them again in elims and she was even louder, and the panel told her the same thing. Also, in that same round, we had kicked out of CP and DAs, going straight for the Coercion K. Apparently, the 2A didn't realize that we hadn't kicked out Coercion, so he began talking about his day to show how abusive it was that we kicked out of everything. One of the judges told him to sit down.

There was a recent incident where the other team asked the judge what his philosophy was. I wasn't really paying attention, but apparently he said that he doesn't like theory debates. We ended up getting into a conditionality debate, and during my 2AR I tried to claim that there was "actual abuse in-round" because they kicked out of their K. Apparently, the judge had flowed the arguments on condo as "bitch bitch bitch whine whine whine" because that's all the argument was.

And lastly, there was the worst judging decision I've ever seen. The judge decided to accept the Neg team's assertion that their disads were acceptable responses to our case arguments in the 2NR. They had dropped most of our on-case up until that point, and we called them out on it big time. I tried to call them out in my 2AR on the fact that their arguments had been run as separate disads the ENTIRE TIME and in fact we had case flows that were BLANK during their speeches. But the judge took the bait that the arguments linked, declared that they had therefore won the debate on ONE of our advantages (even though they never answered an impact takeout, cards that indicted their authors by name, or an Orientalism K on part of the argument), and they won.

• Upvote 2

Heard both of these over the weekend, cant decide which is worse

A team was running virillo, the the tag for the impact used the word acceleration, and their alt said slow down. The Aff stood up and said because acceleration is any change in speed by advocating slowing down they linked. After which they spent 3 minutes reading inherency answers to their own plan, saying that because they preserve the SQ they don't change speed and they don't link into virillo.

The other one was a team running an energy transport aff (can't remember the spesific). The neg read a K saying worship of the concept energy privileges the strong. The 2A said he was tired so voting neg was rewarding their privilege.

• Upvote 6

1) My first tournament every, the other team read at least 10 T definitions, but no violations. My partner and I, being novices, freaked the hell out, but still won.

2) At my first national tournament and my first tournament paperless as well, I dropped a states CP. My partner almost killed me.

3) This weekend, some novices read the elections DA against us. It was hilarious.

4) Also this weekend, a team read a Sleep K against us, all analytics. They basically said that we made them show up to debate at 8, when rounds last night ended at 11:30. They were very mad when my partner made fun of it in CX.

• Upvote 1

-my 6th grade in high school debate partner starting talking about about voter I.D in cross ex....we were running the elections DA

-running against EV's and in the 2ar the opponent said,"we don't want to still be saudia arabias bitches!"

my first debate ever and I never went to any practices and my partner was a dick while facing the best team in the state. So in the 2AC i said three things, not responding to T and sat back down....we lost that round

At a local tournament a week ago, the third prelim round (of five) was a "challenge round". Basically, they posted rankings based on the first two rounds (my partner were 1-1 with high speaks, so we were like 4th out of 18 teams). Then they asked the bottom-ranked team to pick their opponent, who would get to choose aff/neg. They went on up the rankings until everyone had an opponent. For whatever reason, the team ranked 16th picked us, so we went aff. We read port security with a human trafficking advantage. The other team read a T (which they didn't end up going for), like 3 cards on case that were all postdated by our 1ac evidence by like 7 years. When they got to human trafficking, the said that it didn't matter because:

1. The people being trafficked weren't US citizens.

2. The dehumanization of women isn't an impact.

Both my partner and the judge were half Hispanic women. The judge wrote on the ballot "Yeah...that was a really bad argument".

We won.

• Upvote 1

I judged a round a few weeks ago and the 2A's computer crashed during his 2AC. The rest of his speech was terrible and the aff dropped pretty much everything. The 1AR tried to revive things a little, but not very successfully. Then the 2AR was spent telling me how awesome and cool I am. He went on for probably two and a half minutes just telling me I am awesome. It was pretty weird and uncomfortable.

• Upvote 8

As a novice a judge told me he "loved his impact hard and big, pun intended" I was in my 1NC and running out of time so I skipped the link and said "I don't think thats important so I'll go right to the impact."

• Upvote 1

Two weeks ago, get a judge who seems to know what he's doing.

Us:" SO how are you with K literature?"

Judge: " I know everything there is to know."

Us: "How about D&G?"

Judge: "Go for it."

We proceed to run Rhizomes D&G aff.

RFD was that he didn't understand why we were debating about ribozomes.

• Upvote 6

Two things from my last tournament

Round 1 - Two Asian debaters ran orientalism. After the round me and my partner noticed the side of their bin said "Best asians in the state worst asians outside the state"

Round 2 - They read mass transit we read T and Taoism, their 2AC is 8 Min of case extensions and add-ons drop both the off case Spend block explaining Tao, extending T read a fiscal cliff DA, Spending DA, and China CP. During CX they run out of questions and the judge tries to help them mid debate. The 1AR is case extensions again and more add-ons. My 2NR is 1 min of T 2 min of Taosim and 2 min of CP and fiscal cliff explaining everything. The judge says I was bullying them in the first CX because I asked why the T and I in transportation infastructure are capitalized and ask why the BT and R are capitalized.

My partner last tournament is noted for some great quotes.

Before he partnered with me, while debating a natives aff, he said "all native americans do is sit around and get drunk!" (lay round)

During our first round together (while running a wildlife centric aff) "If anything human extinction would probably be good!" (also lay round)

• Upvote 3

Had a panel of 2 lays and a college debater (wut u doin Lawrence?)... I read my speed cameras aff. In the 2nc, they type a sentence onto the end of our we meet, then they re-read the card. I thought about filing a grievance, but coming out of the 2ar I was pretty sure we won.

...Classic me, forgetting that lay judges vote on speaks...

• Upvote 1

Had a panel of 2 lays and a college debater (wut u doin Lawrence?)... I read my speed cameras aff. In the 2nc, they type a sentence onto the end of our we meet, then they re-read the card. I thought about filing a grievance, but coming out of the 2ar I was pretty sure we won.

...Classic me, forgetting that lay judges vote on speaks...

Got a new account rick?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So. Semis at Harmony.

Before any of you pass judgement, my partner and I have 27 state points, not two shits were given this day.

Harmony Semis, we flipped aff, it's versus a team we hit as neg at the previous tournament, they preceded to forget that fact, and run our 1nc strat that we ran on them (A retardation of it anyways, half of it was screwed up), CX was filled with my partner raping the 1NC on D&G's views, I stand up, give my 2a , judges have essentially signed the ballot (Or atleast 2/3, the third was lay so who the hell knows), last question of him CX'ing me is "So do you actually do any transportation infrastructure?" I reply that we do and it even says that in the plan text (K'ish aff so I don't blame him for asking), 2n stands up, says the order is two new off, they flash us and I glance at the page, T-Infrastructure, and a counterplan, didn't really look at it and prepped the T out. The 2n is halfway through tht eT when my partner half-yells "Are you serious?" and the whole room looks at him like he shot someone (Room was packed to the brim, atleast 25 other people besides the actual teams debating and judges), Guess what the CP was?

ASHTAR.

rest of the round is us making fun of them for running it (Not even a satire strat either, they were serious about ASHTAR doing the plan), 1AR my partner forgets to read stuff on Ashtar, and has 2 seconds left, his answer was "vote them down cause ashtar sucks", we don't care because who the fuck votes on Ashtar? We trade looks with our friends near the judges, the two good judges signed for the neg already. We're pissed at this point because this team is TERRIBLE and they're actually attempting Ashtar.

2AR it's obvious the judge's don't buy anything we're saying. I end my 2AR on Ashtar with the following-

"Even if you don't buy Ashtar sucks you'll vote them down because fuck them, that's why", room dies of laughter, opponents leave embarrassed, judges won't disclose (In fucking semis), everyone in the room laughs and talks to us about how pissed they are that they made it to semis. We walk out of the room and our coach is holding 2 3rd place trophies.

3-0, Neg wins, RFD was Ashtar.

• Upvote 7

I recently ran Pope Politics, Popolitics, at a national tournament. Twice. I'm that guy.

I'd love to see the shell, but that's the kind of thing you'd probably like to keep secret. Can you describe the link story, though? It sounds fun.

I'd love to see the shell, but that's the kind of thing you'd probably like to keep secret. Can you describe the link story, though? It sounds fun.

Status quo, Dolan, an American cardinal, won't be elected. The plan is a "spiritual issue" (depending on what the aff's plan is), so that makes Dolan speak out against it and gain more popularity. That means he'll be more likely to be elected, and the impact ranges from geopoolitical anger against the US (think heg bad without the heg) for having too much influence, Middle East Peace Process, and infinite holy war (yes, that's a thing).

I'm actually posting this from inside a van right now, on my way to another tournament, and I'll probably be running it again (I'm a 1N, so yeah).

• Upvote 3

My coach teaches two schools, and at districts me and my partner were 2-3 heading into the last round(we wouldn't break no matter what) and the other schools top team was 4-1.  My coach told me to throw the round so they would qual(not all people who went 4-2 would qual, it depended on speaks)  We had a lay judge, so my partner went through the 1AC as fast as possible to piss the judge off.  We then proceed to kick all of our terminal impacts in the 1AR, and our response to immigration is"nah, the plan's popular".   We won because the judge didn't understand why neg talked about illegal immigrants the whole time when the aff was about railroads.  It takes skill to try to lose a round to a team that's better than you and still win. #swag

• Upvote 5