MELE-MEL

Worst thing you've ever seen done in a round

Some person ran an 8 minute narrative in the 1NC and said fuck 7 times against a fem aff. Then they pull an alt in the 2NR.

This happened during a congress round about 4 hours ago. This guy already made nats in policy, so he doesn't give a flying fuck about this round. Anyways

Person: This resolution is like women driving. It's dangerous and really ends up worse for everyone."

Unrelated:

a speech: OK, so say I'm your daddy. no, I'm your grandpa.

Question (later): Daddy, where do babies come from?

• Upvote 1

Went two off cap and 'the' pic (because I had hit them before and knew it would be lulzy) against a team in houston.

Their only offense on cap was perm solvency (without a perm, so not really offense) and indicts of Zizek with arguments that we have to defend authorial representations.

When I asked him about the lack of a perm/perm text, he said "I don't need a perm text!" and then I mimicked his voice and said "I do what I want!" and everyone in the room laughed at him.

They also read an intent argument and a perm on 'the' pic.

My 2nr was perm work on 'the' pic and then I conceded the intent argument and applied it to the authorial representations argument on cap, then answered cap defense and did a basic story on an impact argument and the alt.

The 2ar was a lot of "uhhh"

It was a 2-1 because a parli judge decided to flip a coin out of spite.

Oh, and it was a semis round. Houston debate is silly. -.-

• Upvote 2

First round 7am at Harvard this year was in a college dorm... a random asian kid comes out and starts going bannanas on the round next to us... the kids keep spreading and flicks himm off

He deserved a 30

3 more stories from the space topic, both from a local tourney

1. My dad volunteered to judge. He had never seen a round of debate before, so of course they made him judge varsity policy. The first round the aff ran some random case about space telescopes, then the neg did a really dumb T-shell and the rest of the round consisted of each team accusing the other of being abusive and falsifying evidence.

2. Our neg rounds at that tourney were really dumb:

Our first one was against a space tourism case with adv's about econ and scientific research or some BS. (It's also important to know that this is a tourney where teams move their novices to varsity to see if they should send them to state) My partner's 1NC was some generic case about how the private sector is already doing it, some NASA incompetent cards, a spending disad and an ozone disad. The 2A apparently didn't understand the idea of squo solves (possibly thinking it was a counterplan) so they basically ignored that...then she link turned the spending disad saying people would pay to ride on the shuttles like their case said...which she said would cost at least 50,000 dollars per seat...then she drops the ozone disad. In my 2N i read 5 min worth of impacts for the dropped disad (like 4 extinction scenarios) and extend case. Then my partner says that the average american annual income is 50,000 dollars and the other team were rich and disconnected (helped by the fact that they each read evidence off ipads)... yeah, we won.

3. My friend (in his first year this year) wrote his own SBSP case with adv's of saving lives and property damage by zapping tornadoes and hurricanes and...wait for it...he had an adv that said that microwave beams from the satellites could be used to move jet streams which would stop seasonal flooding in pakistan allowing us to fight the taliban more effectively. In his aff round with it, the other team didn't know what a jet stream was. This is what they said: "The aff plan must fail, because in order for a hypotenuse to be tested it has to fail". At the end of the round, the judge drew a picture on the room's white board of a city with a sun above it and a squiggly line labeled "jet stream".

3 more stories from the space topic, both from a local tourney

1. My dad volunteered to judge. He had never seen a round of debate before, so of course they made him judge varsity policy. The first round the aff ran some random case about space telescopes, then the neg did a really dumb T-shell and the rest of the round consisted of each team accusing the other of being abusive and falsifying evidence.

You already told us that!

Woops...sorry...that's a copy paste of an email I wrote a debate friend...so I didn't look at what was in it

Woops...sorry...that's a copy paste of an email I wrote a debate friend...so I didn't look at what was in it

How does that even remotley make sense?

• Downvote 2

1. Yes they did say hypotenuse.

2. I wrote an email to a friend with some of my notable debate stories, and we rofld and I thought i should post the stories, so to save time I copy-pasted part of the email, not realizing it included a story that I had already put on this forum.

• Upvote 1

Once, I was debating against my current partner on colonization in a type of workshop. I was neg, she was aff, and when I was crossexing her, I asked "Isnt the private sector a big part of space exploration? Dont they comprise the majority?" To my suprise she said yes. I then asked her "Then why can the federal government solve if the private sector has more funding?" She replied "Well the private sector can solve." I then asked "Well then why does your plan make sense?" She got REALLY confused and realized what just happenned. The judge and everyone else flowing started laughing uncontrollably and had to stop time.

Another time in camp over the summer, I was debating with a kid i had met in camp. He was speaking and his time was almost up. He ran out of cards. I was like its cool just sit down. He said something along the lines of "NO. I GOT THIS." Three seconds left and all I heard was "soon we will all be speaking mexican."

• Downvote 2

Oh, it was Mohammad. The other person that was Donny.

Good times. I believe it was "Iran is a lot like a woman driving. A uniquely dangerous situation that ends up bad for both parties." Still did pretty well though.

At the SDI tournament, me and my partner were facing a team from our own lab so we decided to make it a troll round. A few highlights:

We read "being a ginger is bad" theory in the 1NR

They kicked out of case in the 2AC and read Baudrillard

They went for racism theory

They also spent 2 minutes spreading every word from the lyrics of the Rick Roll song.

• Upvote 1

At the SDI tournament, me and my partner were facing a team from our own lab so we decided to make it a troll round. A few highlights:

We read "being a ginger is bad" theory in the 1NR

They kicked out of case in the 2AC and read Baudrillard

They went for racism theory

They also spent 2 minutes spreading every word from the lyrics of the Rick Roll song.

Well it's better than when I spent a minute of my 1AR in semis on no neg FIAT... and then we won.

• Upvote 4

Well it's better than when I spent a minute of my 1AR in semis on no neg FIAT... and then we won.

I prefer "no neg fiat" debates to "no neg condo" debates. The fiat debate happens less often and is more counterintuitive, which makes it more fun.

Old school theory teaches us a lot more than hearing new school theory over and over and over again.

I had a team accidentally concede that intrinsic perms were a voting issue and they only read a short two point block defending intrinsic perms. The 2NR was 5 minutes of intrinsic perms bad. But then the judge intervened like a standard judge from my state and refused to pull the trigger on the argument anyways. :(.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

K, that round still haunts me.

• Upvote 1

Once, I was debating against my current partner on colonization in a type of workshop. I was neg, she was aff, and when I was crossexing her, I asked "Isnt the private sector a big part of space exploration? Dont they comprise the majority?" To my suprise she said yes. I then asked her "Then why can the federal government solve if the private sector has more funding?" She replied "Well the private sector can solve." I then asked "Well then why does your plan make sense?" She got REALLY confused and realized what just happenned. The judge and everyone else flowing started laughing uncontrollably and had to stop time.

Once, I was debating against my current partner on colonization in a type of workshop. I was neg, she was aff, and when I was crossexing her

Once, I was debating against my current partner on colonization in a type of workshop. I was neg, she was aff, and when I was crossexing her

Teehee.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

K, that round still haunts me.

It haunts us all... All those poor post-novices seeing us have over a minute of no neg fiat in the 2AR. We corrupted them... with bad theory.

It haunts us all... All those poor post-novices seeing us have over a minute of no neg fiat in the 2AR. We corrupted them... with bad theory.

Whoa Jon wait....your theory tactics worked in more than one round....how many innocent children have you corrupted.

Whoa Jon wait....your theory tactics worked in more than one round....how many innocent children have you corrupted.

50 State fiat bad

No Neg fiat

uncondo bad

We've done them all to too many people - We're theory monsters

• Upvote 2

50 State fiat bad

No Neg fiat

uncondo bad

We've done them all to too many people - We're theory monsters

An error occurred:

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1