MELE-MEL

Worst thing you've ever seen done in a round

What's the worst thing you've ever seen n a round? Did you do it? You're partner?

The worst thing I've seen is when my partner(when she was behaving in her lah-lah-lah state) conceeded all their solvency and all the arguments we ran exept heg. in the 2NC and said we win the debate. To make the problem worst the judge said," Despite this obvious mistake you could've won on T."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

the ones i can think of now:

novice round at a local tournament

-novices on the neg from our school run a soft power bad argument or something like that against a peacecorps case. a debater from the other school stands up for the cross-x and asks "are you a communist?"

us at a local tournament

-we run firecorps. they run queer theory...

us at a regional tournament

-we run learn and serve america. they run consult eu cp (standard cp text). the link to their net benefit is that we break the binding consultation set up by the cp. and if that wasn't enough, they started pretending in the 2NC like their cp text mandated the implementation of our plan in european schools as well...

us at a local tournament

-they run ban fema (without a plan text i should add), claiming, without any evidence, that more people would then join citizencorps if we were to ban fema. then, without any evidence, they claim that this policy is less racist than fema. we run t increase, a generic pic for fun to see what happens, crt and on case take outs and turns (just analytical stuff and a couple cards). first 6 minutes of the 2ac (which ends up being 8 minutes of non road-mapped speech time) are impact extensions. the next 2 minutes consist of one sentence that was almost verbatum, "they say that our plan doesn't increase the number of people in citizencorps, but it obviously does." a sentence saying our counterplan is irrelevant, more unwarranted extensions about how citizencorps is going to magically solve racism, and crt goes dropped. i forgot to add that our judge is commsy, not completely comms, but leaning that way. we go for everything in the block. no prep for the 1ar, 5 minutes of impact extensions. out of hopes that they'll appreciate us for adapting to their debate style, we go for crt and on case in the 2nr, even though t and the cp were functionally dropped; and it's the 6th round at a local tourney without outrounds, so who cares. 2ar is consistent with thier tendency to be nonresponsive. rfd is that crt goes dropped the entire round. then, after the round is over, they all of a sudden claim to be non-traditional debaters, and accuse the judge of just being a traditional debater, who is too bias. and they say that if he wasn't so elitist, he would totally have voted for them. their coach is in the room saying the same thing. then it's awkward for a while, while he tries to justify his decision, but he's such a comms judge that he can barely explain why we won. then everyone leaves and they're really awkard with us the rest of the tournament. it was a udl team if that makes a difference.

decision at a local tournament

-this isn't something that a debater did, but i had a judge change his ballot after giving an oral k about how we won the round. and pretty much everyone who had been in the round, including their coach, agreed that it had gone to us. he said he voted on a comment made by one of the other debaters after the round that their arguments on aspec meant that our plan functionally couldn't happen, which means that we can't get any solvency. of course, that argument was answered in my 2ar, but it's hard to remember things like that after the round...

-mt spokane ran 5mins of on case (1 card), t substantially, t national on us in the 1nc...2nc is new "do plan and repeal WIC" CP with WIC advantages, 1nr is a new "Sexyback" T, 2nr is the same stupid "sexyback" T

-berkeley 4th round i about passed out (sick)

-a kid in our circuit got away with racist language in round b/c the judge didnt believe she could vote a team down on in round discourse

• Upvote 2

we read T barriers

they say this T vio overlimits topic to the draft and then spend 4 minutes reading a draft D/A (i think it was spending with alot of cards)

they also dont respond to any of our other arguments

so we spend like 3 minutes a speech just like extending and then sit down

and the i get the ballot back and everybody in the round earned a 26

weak ass shit

this was at berkeley in hte varsity division

-mt spokane ran 5mins of on case (1 card), t substantially, t national on us in the 1nc...2nc is new "do plan and repeal WIC" CP with WIC advantages, 1nr is a new "Sexyback" T, 2nr is the same stupid "sexyback" T

-a kid in our circuit got away with racist language in round b/c the judge didnt believe she could vote a team down on in round discourse

wow was there something going around at Berkeley because I know of about 5 people who got sick during/shortly after Berkeley (including myself)

shut up andrew, that was awesome and you know it lol

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 and a half minutes of rape is good analytics, "Some people like it, I don't, but I'm sure some people do" and "Rape is key to interacting with others" were said to us in the 1NR at Michigan JV states. The neg lost for unrelated reasons.

• Upvote 5

wow was there something going around at Berkeley because I know of about 5 people who got sick during/shortly after Berkeley (including myself)

HOLY SHIT! You are right! I was sick the morning of the quarters, semis and final round and I threw up in the morning. We still won quarters though but lost in semis...good round.

i love sexy back T :)

But the worst thing i've seen was at the first novice tournement in my life, a team ran a disad that said north korea is currently, AS WE SPEAK, invading egypt and Israel, and since america is the next logical step, we need to prepeare, but aff degrades combat readiness. I just heard about this from a team, so i may be completely butchering it, but that i what i heard.

shut up andrew, that was awesome and you know it lol

no it's not, it's EMBARASSING. only Mt Spokane would do something like that. i laugh at you.

anyway...

1. Novice year, our opponents ran some aff with an AIDS impact. During my partner's 2NR impact analysis, he told the judges AIDS was an insignificant impact because the aff couldn't give a specific number to how many people die from AIDS. he also said it is the individual's sole fault for getting AIDS and that rapes don't happened very often. We had three women judges, who voted us down.

2. At my last tourney, I ran 7 off then went to solvency and then one of the advantages. The 2AC went crazy. She spent 5 minutes of prep after CX of the 1NC searching for any evi or frontlines. The 2AC ended up grouping 3 K's and reading "no alt text bad" theory, although we did have texts to all 3. We won.

3. At that same tourney, because TAB refused to break brackets for out rounds, we ended up hitting our other team from our school. They are both seniors and we are juniors. One of the guys was my regular partner, and the other was the regular partner for the partner I had for that tournament. So it was really hilarious, since all 3 are my three best friends...nonetheless, I ripped through CX and we were beating them pretty solidly, until my partner accidentally said "education before fairness" instead of "fairness before education" in his 2NR, which was just T. We should have won.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Girl pointing out that governments are always watching out for their people: "For example, HITLER, he promised his people that they would have food on their table and a roof over their head, and HE DID THIS!!! And even though he committed a lot of rights violations, I'm uh, not gonna get into those, but you can see, every government is essentially looking out for its own people."

the ones i can think of now:

us at a local tournament

-we run firecorps. they run queer theory...

Maybe they weren't running it on the case...maybe they were just running it on you...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Maybe they weren't running it on the case...maybe they were just running it on you...

i don't know if this is like a crass gay joke or something, but no...their analysis in the cx of the 1nc was like "firefighting is inherently heterosexist"

One of our novice teams last year ran a CP on AFF.

ouch, and what font is that, its either very cool, or it really pisses me off, i'm not sure which.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One of our novice teams last year ran a CP on AFF.

one of ours ran T.. im not even kidding..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1. last year, we ran body cavity searches w/ an adv of rape. the 1nc spends 3 minutes talking about how he was raped and it was "awesome".

2. same round- the kid on the other team got a call from his mother during his 2nc and proceeded to talk on the phone during his 2nc speech.

3. this year- we were aff, the neg ran an anarchy cp. In cross-x=

me: can you name a specific example of how the government caused nuclear annhilation in the past?

them- yes. back last year, Bush caused hurrican Katrina.

me- are you actually insinuating that Bush MADE hurricane katrina occur? Exactly how did he do this?

them- well... he did it because he wants to kill black people.

they were novice, but they apparently got pulled up to varsity for the tournament. And, they're varsity team happened to give them messed up evidence as a joke.

so it was a funny round

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

worst ever was hitting the same team back to back both times being aff and both times having them read 8 minutes of inherency on material witnesses aff last year. which was really inherent, it happened in league

worst ever was hitting the same team back to back both times being aff and both times having them read 8 minutes of inherency on material witnesses aff last year. which was really inherent, it happened in league

I rember my first tournament we hit the same school with the same aff and the same a2's(they were all novices but so were we) We hit them 7 times in a row (including breaks) and went 6-1(we dropped on a skechy argument) I should've known that CP's don't have alternatives or links dammit, thos bastards.

• Upvote 1

I once spent thirty seconds on my 1AR, in which time I vaguely touched the arguments of the round. I'm still not sure why I did that...

I was judging this novice round, and it was the first of the year so nobody knew what they were doing.

The Aff ran T as their 1AC.

I stopped them and asked if they had a case.

They told me no.

I asked them if they had any aff stuff at all.

They said kinda and read 3 random Gitmo cards.

They didn't get to the plan text until the 1AR.

• Upvote 3

one of our novices last year read an index to a file in the speech.....

wtf that is hilarious! how did they not notice??? and why did they do it?

• Upvote 1