neural link

Swiss Invade Liechtenstein

Swiss Accidentally Invade Liechtenstein- - - - - - - - - - - -

March 02,2007 | ZURICH, Switzerland -- What began as a routine training exercise almost ended in an embarrassing diplomatic incident after a company of Swiss soldiers got lost at night and marched into neighboring Liechtenstein.

empty.gif large.html@Right

According to Swiss daily Blick, the 170 infantry soldiers wandered just over a mile across an unmarked border into the tiny principality early Thursday before realizing their mistake and turning back.

A spokesman for the Swiss army confirmed the story but said that there were unlikely to be any serious repercussions for the mistaken invasion.

"We've spoken to the authorities in Liechtenstein and it's not a problem," Daniel Reist told The Associated Press.

Officials in Liechtenstein also played down the incident.

Interior ministry spokesman Markus Amman said nobody in Liechtenstein had even noticed the soldiers, who were carrying assault rifles but no ammunition. "It's not like they stormed over here with attack helicopters or something," he said.

Liechtenstein, which has about 34,000 inhabitants and is slightly smaller than Washington DC, doesn't have an army.

Salon provides breaking news articles from the Associated Press as a service to its readers, but does not edit the AP articles it publishes.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Tell that to Maximillian I....

(If you don't want to read, Switzerland basically owned the Holy Roman Emperor, who had the resources of Swabia and Austria--very powerful regions--at his disposal, at a minimum).

Yes but it was after the time of Charlamagne.

It's sad this is the greatest military victory ever for Switzerland.

the swiss have a modern well-trained fighting force. i dont know what the fuck this is supposed to mean, other than that they choose not to engage in conflict.

that would be a great wxcuse for everything.

"whoah, cheny i think we took a wrong turn back at basrah, i think i see tehran"

on the swiss military, from what i here, they have a really very strong militia force, everyone is trained in guerrilla tactics, so in addition to the regular army, they have an insurance of a bloody resistanc eif they are ever invaded and occupied.

that would be a great wxcuse for everything.

"whoah, cheny i think we took a wrong turn back at basrah, i think i see tehran"

on the swiss military, from what i here, they have a really very strong militia force, everyone is trained in guerrilla tactics, so in addition to the regular army, they have an insurance of a bloody resistanc eif they are ever invaded and occupied.

their military is essentially a militia. they have a very small core of professionals and a larger group of reservists and conscripts they can call up if needed.

If you're implying that the Emperor was powerless after Charlemagne, perhaps you should read up on Maximillian...he had firm control over Swabia and Austria...

And of course, his grandson Charles V (aka Carlos I of Spain) might well have succeeded in uniting most of Europe under his rule if it weren't for a (pesky, as far as Charles was concerned) monk named Martin Luther...

their military is essentially a militia. they have a very small core of professionals and a larger group of reservists and conscripts they can call up if needed.

Swiss law requires that all eligible ppl (prolly males of a certain age) train and be prepared to enter the militia. moreover, the law requires that every household own a military weapon.

I'm dead serious. I lived there for two years.

At every entry into Switzerland, when you drive over the mountains that surround it on all sides, there are these yellow checkerboards painted on the road. Those are the land mines.

If they are ever invaded or declared war against, they will literally blow up every way into their country. Everyone will go up into the mountains, and they will be able to hold off literally any army in the world.

There's a reason Germany didn't invade Switzerland in WWII besides the fact that the Swiss were willing to make business deals with them. The Swiss are badasses.

I'm not sure the point of this post, but Charlemagne was never a ruler of the holy roman empire.

I'm not sure the point of this post, but Charlemagne was never a ruler of the holy roman empire.

He was crowned "Roman Emperor" (i.e. Holy Roman Emperor) on Christmas Day, 800 AD, and though I will grant you he didn't call his domain the Holy Roman Empire, tradition holds that event to be the beginning of the Empire.

That said, both positions are defensible, and neither position changes the fact that the only thing that beat out Maximillian's badassness (he got Hungary, Bohemia, and Spain--and through Spain, virtually all of Latin America--for his family through marriage--how cool is that?) is the superior badassness of the Swiss.

Guest debator123
the swiss have a modern well-trained fighting force. i dont know what the fuck this is supposed to mean, other than that they choose not to engage in conflict.

I think you should try and figure out when someone is trying to be funny or not. That way, when you try to freak out at them, you will know whether or not they were serious. And if you're wondering "what the f*** this is supposed to mean, it means you're not very intelligent.