supersteph6590

deep oncology K answers

Meh, I'm not sure - I'm more familiar with onto K's. I belive it's vaguely like a K of anthropocentrism, but don't take my word for it.

Anybody know who the Heidigger guru on cross-x is?

Anybody know who the Heidigger guru on cross-x is?

s/he definitely isn't me, but this is area I know some of.

Deep Ecology is somewhat inspired by Heidegger, especially the more critical it gets. It's more related to Heidegger's discussion of Being, and not that of his discussion of Technology, so don't think of it in the context of how you normally hear Heidegger in a debate round.

Anyway, in short deep ecology is more or less environmental ethics. It's the idea that the environment must be protected at all costs. It also states that we have to see the environment as something that is a part of our everyday lives, as opposed to something external to us (Heidegger addresses this point in Being and Time, stating that the 'world' is nothing external to us, but rather is an extension of our own beings and perception). Anyway, since we aren't seperate from the environment, we should protect it. Additionally, we should protect the environment solely for the purpose of protecting the environment, otherwise we can justify abusing the environment in the future. For example, say the 1AC protects the environment to solve an economic collapse. By this logic, in the future it is okay to harm the environment in order to help our economy.

I hope that explains it, feel free to ask questions. It's basically all of that "green peace hippie crap" with a bit of philosophical backing. (personally I don't think Heidegger himself ever advocates environmental ethics/deep ecology, but his beliefs can certainly be interpreted that way)

deep ecology leads to eco terrorism. if all you care about is living to make sure the environment survives, at all costs, you will bomb oil rigs and stuff. duh.

plus, dolphins and chimpanzees key to heg, and honey bees are key to solve landmines and unexploded ordinances in places like cambodia.

A deep ecologist would not advocate "protecting" nature, they would say that protecting justifies control. Rather, they would argue that one should adopt an 'ecocentric' approach that envisions humans and nature connected as one. You're talking more about shallow ecology than anything.

Deep ecology doesn't create ecoterrorism. All the shit you talk about is related to Animal Rights.

state good (in the context of the environment, especially)/anthro good would likely be responsive, since the alt requires some level of reconceptualization of the human role in the environment (see above). easiest way to answer it specifically would be-

1) mindset shift impossible/management inevitable (even if the federal government, ie the aff, stops management, states will still try to regulate the environment; bonus points if you find cards saying these other actors will be worse at management).

2) rejection of aff only cedes the government to corporations (who will exploit the environment and other bad stuff).

3) aff empirically solves - give examples; since you didn't explain your reasons why you need these, it's tough. but if you're defending, for example, the endangered species act, talk about all the species that would be extinct without it. the specificity of your evidence here will make their cards look laughable.

4) external impacts help - another impact to your aff, like war, could turn the alt's solvency; just break out your cards saying that nuclear war -> roasts the biosphere/causes nuclear winter/melts the ozone/other bad stuff.