"Z"

[AFF] Female Genital Mutilation

i was thinking of running this aff next year, but i am still not sure what would be the best way to go about solveing it or what exactly the plan text would be and what advs where other poeple thinking of running both policy and K

i was thinking of running this aff next year, but i am still not sure what would be the best way to go about solveing it or what exactly the plan text would be and what advs where other poeple thinking of running both policy and K

what would the aff do for FGM?

what would the aff do for FGM?

see that is what i am not sure about, possibly provide more education, get religious members to denounce it more medication to the victimes, more social workers, maybe more medical workers?

I'm not sure how the solvency would work but I think education would be the way to go, but the advantage I would put on a case such as this would definately be feminism, FGM is made to deny the female pleasure and entrenches masculine steriotypes. You could probabally get a pretty good dehum advantage out of this as well, Soft power will link to everything. Also when i ran sudan on the PKO year I had an advantage that talked about how ignoring the problems in africa was part of a racist forign policy that went back to slavery that would apply. Also a derrida/levinas advantage would be bomb.

• Downvote 1

yea i was thinking some type of other adv and possibly patrarichy, i found a good solvency article which cites a bunch of different ways to solve, i am just not sure what one(s) to use

this was the second aff i thought of after I heard what the topic was (first being "peace corps again???")

i want to see how it develops at camps this summer (im sure a few camps will cut it) as far as plan text and style goes

advantages should be patriarchy and dehum

that is what i thought i am still not sure what the plan text should be my current working one is

Text: the United States federal government specifically congress should substantially increase public health assistance Sub-Saharan Africa by provide training for medical and social workers and education to teachers, religious workers and women and all other relevant parties. Funding and enforcement guaranteed ask and we will clarify

yea i know that there are some major issues with it but it is a work in progress, the current advantages that i am working with are Torture and an "Other" adv

This is a difficult case to find a solvency mechanism for. Several countries have completely banned FGM, but have seen little or no decrease in the practice. Education programs do not and will not work; it's hard to argue with a cultural practice. The few women who get spared face strong social stigma, neutralizing much of the already remote solvency that massive advocacy and training campaigns yield. See the WHO page on FGM for more pessimism.

The best you can hope for is a human rights/feminism versus cultural imperialism debate, and you'll often get it. If the neg chooses to go that route, they will probably find themselves out-researched and losing to a spectacular feminism K. But on the other hand, two "WHO fighting FGM in status quo" inherency cards and a line-by-line on solvency will destroy all of your advantages. Those few negs knowledgeable enough to go on-case will pummel you, and you'll lose to a dinky linear disad with modest impacts.

If you really want to make an FGM case, you need to make it a critique aff. You're taking a personal stance and rejecting patriarchy yadda yadda. This is a hot issue for many feminist writers, so you should have no problem writing the case. Whether you think an FGM critique 1AC is any good is more a matter of taste. But don't expect to outweigh disads on the policy level without a giant cock and bull story of internal links and serious strategic negligence from the neg.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think that you can gain some access to solvency by arguing that exucating women will increase the standard of living. I'm not sure if you could find evidence that says a good standard of living will be able to produce the kind of solvency that you need to access your gender advantages. And I'm sure that there is a law review out there arguing that educating women will stop female genital mutilation (stop using acronyms) by empowering them.

The problem of solvency through education is that IT WON'T WORK. While there is evidence out there to support, it will pale in comparison to the quality of the research that says women won't be able to fight because of culture, patriarchy, etc.

The problem with solvency though laws, is that most of sub-saharan africa is either controlled by dictators or corrupt democracies. This means there is no mechanism for enforcement of the law. Plus, empirical evidence shows this fails.

The only way I've thought of to really solve, is through discourse and education within the debate round. If you're running this case, you must go kritikal.

If anyone has a mechanism for solvency on the policy level, please post.

The problem of solvency through education is that IT WON'T WORK. While there is evidence out there to support, it will pale in comparison to the quality of the research that says women won't be able to fight because of culture, patriarchy, etc.

The problem with solvency though laws, is that most of sub-saharan africa is either controlled by dictators or corrupt democracies. This means there is no mechanism for enforcement of the law. Plus, empirical evidence shows this fails.

The only way I've thought of to really solve, is through discourse and education within the debate round. If you're running this case, you must go kritikal.

If anyone has a mechanism for solvency on the policy level, please post.

i found some good solvency saying that getting religious orgnizations to denounce FGM would solve and that would get rid of the culture issues, but i am not sure how legit fiating that would be

here is a card not the one i want i am not sure where i saved that on my comp i will edit it if i find it later but here this is

Education is necessary to remove the false guise of religion clouding FGM

Wellerstein 99

Jaimee K. Wellerstein J.D. candidate, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, 2000; B.A., San Diego State University, 1996, In the Name of Tradition: Eradicating the Harmful Practice of Female Genital Mutilation October, 1999 Lexis Nexis

Although female genital mutilation is frequently perceived as an Islamic religious ritual, the practice actually predates Islam. 95 Female genital mutilation "is neither practiced by all Muslims nor by all Arabs." 96 The Koran 97 does not mandate that women be genitally mutilated. 98 Further, in most predominantly Islamic countries, parents do not, for the most part, force their daughters to undergo genital mutilation. 99 In actuality, the ritual of female genital mutilation is not limited to Islam, but is practiced in other religions as well. 100 For example, the procedure is sometimes forced on girls whose families follow Christianity, Judaism, 101 and animistic religions. 102 Education focusing on the inaccurate belief that religion mandates female genital mutilation is an essential step in eradicating the practice. 103

Look for backfiles from the immigration topic in 1994

FGM was a very popular case back then.

UN backfiles from (I believe) the 2004-05 season would also be helpful. I know there were a lot of KS teams at least that ran it.

i doubt many people have electronic backfiles from 94 but i will ask

THe argument about education isn't as much related to educating women to fend off male attackers as it is to education increasing the standard of living. I'm sure that there is some spill-over evidence that talks about how an increase in the standard of living will check patriarchy/culture.

There's got to be a policy advocate to this. If laws are the problem, how will education change the laws in sub-Saharan Africa?

i doubt many people have electronic backfiles from 94 but i will ask

no one will. we didnt use computers back then. we used microfiche!

but you might be lucky and find someone who still keeps the paper copies in some dusty box in their debate room... if the debaters after me didnt go apeshit and throw out ALL of our backfiles, i'd mail you whatever my school had. but alas, they were fools.

no one will. we didnt use computers back then. we used microfiche!

but you might be lucky and find someone who still keeps the paper copies in some dusty box in their debate room... if the debaters after me didnt go apeshit and throw out ALL of our backfiles, i'd mail you whatever my school had. but alas, they were fools.

oh well mabey somone scaned them in, but i doubt that, oh well still microfiche lol !

good luck. have fun beating fem on this.

Why there is a lot of good ev saying for fem being an advantage what i will have fun beating is the cultural imperlisim stuff

If your going for a critical 1AC im sure Judith Butler would love to write most of your 1ac

Several teams from my college ran FGM on the college Africa topic, which was 5-6 years ago. There is a rich debate in the literature about how to address the issue, and it is constantly evolving.

Yes, there are good "education empirically fails" cards, but there are also constantly evolving forms of education that learn from the mistakes of the past. The "your education fails cards from the 80s and 90s don't assume our newest latest technique" is just as valid an argument.

Also there are different routes to take - medicalization (basically don't try to eradicate the practice, just try to make it safer - like male circumcision); lessen the degree (many different practices fall under the category of FGM...some are much worse than others); culturally sensitive education. All have their advantages and disadvantages. The literature on all these issues is pretty big and there are authors supporting both sides with strong arguments.

The Culture and 3rd World Feminism Ks are solid neg ground against the case (as well as universal human rights Ks), but people on both sides write really rhetorically powerful cards.

My guess is that it will be a big case next year and that most camps will put out a version of the aff.

Female genital mutilation is a cultural thing supported by many in the communities where it is practiced. It is supported by the local governments by inaction even if the official policy is to oppose it. You can set up a wonderful program to protect the women, but evidence can be found saying that such programs already exist and they are limited in their effectiveness.

I can't help but find it ironic that when a girl gets circumcised in the West, it's 'good hygiene', but when a girl gets circumcised in Africa, it's 'mutilation.'

I think a lot of people should question how we frame this so-called "FGM" in terms of the Other - it's find and dandy until a country without Christian morals and money does it - then it's a human rights violation.

It really makes me want to go to Africa and get circumcised. Then maybe they'll create a definition for "Male Genital Mutilation", comically abbreviated to be "MGM." Then we'll see a dynamic struggle from the liberal elite to defend the right of a man to his penis. The UN will send the men with blue helmets to defend my head's helmet. THIS would be progress. Fools. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1