jbhoe

2005 Michigan Classic

I don't have a breakdown of Classic Applicants by year in front of me at this time. We've received about 100 total applications for the Classic as of now and we will let in 48 Juniors while space is permitting. To qualify for the early deposit, you need to send a $750 early deposit within 3 weeks of applying. You should apply if you have not already done so. You can apply at http://www.michigandebate.com. We take roomate requests and after that it's random. I'm not sure if there are any single rooms in the dorm. I can check on that.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Aaron Kall

Michigan Debate.

Thanks for the quick reply,

I will probably be applying soon. A few more questions though:

Does the camp have many lectures or is it more lab work oriented?

Approximately how many practiced debate will you get if you attend the camp?

Is more time spent on debating and lectures or cutting cards?

Does the camp have a tourny at the end?

Thanks again

The camp has many lectures- one or two per morning in a large assembly hall for the first week to two of the camp. In addition, your lab leaders give lectures in lab. Students also meet for hours in their labs daily. I believe you will get 12-16 practice rounds (which includes a 6 round tournament). This may vary by lab and how far you advance in the camp tournament, which breaks to double-octos. Last year, the tournament had around 80 teams. We try to have an equal balance of both debating and card cutting. You will debate a lot and cut a lot of cards.

Aaron

hey aaron, this is steve. I was wondering if you recieved that e-mail from my mom and if the switch from the classic plus to the combo camp (WNDI and Classic) is legit.

• Downvote 1

Yes, as of now, there will be one senior lab- Calum Matheson and Scott Harris. We will let in a maximum of 24 people into the lab. A second senior lab may be added if necessary.

Aaron

Yes, as of now, there will be one senior lab- Calum Matheson and Scott Harris. We will let in a maximum of 24 people into the lab. A second senior lab may be added if necessary.

Aaron

aaron i got a question how many applicant do u ahve on the classic plus program is there still room if i apply soon? and are coach's rec's needed for lab placement or lab requests?

We will take a maximum of 16 for the Classic Plus. As of now, we have received about 8-10 applications. We will honor all lab requests until we run out of room in each lab.

Aaron

Michigan Debate

Hello,

I am going to spotlight one of our excellent Classic Labs once a week for the next few weeks. This week the spotlight is on one of the most storied labs at the Classic the Matheson/Harris lab:

Calum Matheson was the directors of the fellows for the last two years and now is one of the leaders of the UNT scholars program. Calum was a multiple time semi-finalist at the NDT and also a finalist at CEDA nationals for Michigan State. The Michigan Classic is the only camp that you can work with Calum for four weeks at.

Scott Harris is the person who has the longest tenure at the Classic - He is the coach of dozens of first round bid recipients (including 2005), multiple NDT semi-finalists, and is widely recognized as one of the most innovative strategists in college debate.

This lab has consistently produced excellence in competitive debate - The Harris lab at the University of Michigan has produced coaches and debaters as good as Mike Eber and our own Aaron Kall. This lab is, without a doubt, one of the best four week labs in the country for seniors.

Hope everyone is having a great year,

Josh

I wanted to make a couple of brief comments about some of my encounters with Classic kiddos this weekend at the Woodward JV/Novice Nationals tournament...

First, it was great to meet so many incoming sophomores that have already committed to being in Ann Arbor this summer. I am glad that we are already started formulating interactions...

I wanted to pass on how EXCITING it was to watch debating by some of you that willl be in Ann Arbor. If anyone doubts where the best novice talent in the country is spending their summer, they clearly did not see what I saw this weekend. Holistically, the talent that I watched for those of you committed or considering the sophomore labs at Michigan was incredible.

I was glad to also get a dialogue started with some of you about potential arguments that I know you wanted to work on. As soon as the TOC winds down and I get a chance to breathe, I will pass on that information to James, Tim, and Daryl as we plan for the summer.

Again, it was great getting a chance to meet so many of you and see some of you in action....it will be an INCREDIBLE summer considering the INCREDIBLE talent I saw this weekend.

Tara Tate

Glenbrook South

Michigan Classic lab for sophomores

Hey I was wondering if you could tell me who the leaders of both of the labs are at the Junior camps? Also, how many debaters do you expect to admit to the same?

And to see if I'm correct, Michigan Classic Plus has the extra research week and regular Classic is 4 weeks?

Thanks for the Info

There will be two Michigan Classic for Juniors Labs.

Lab 1- Aaron Kall (Assistant Dir. of Debate at University of Michigan) and Scott Phillips (Senior Debater at Emory University)

Lab 2- Matt Baisley (Assistant Debate Coach at Dallas Jesuit) and TBA

We will admit up to 48 Juniors. Thus far, we have received applications from about 43 Juniors and Deposits from about 3/4 of the Junior applicants.

Yes, the regular Classic is four weeks long. The Classic Plus is an extra week for researching and library skills, getting a jump on writing affirmatives, theory, etc. The Classic Plus extra week will be directed by James Herndon of Chattahoochee High School.

You can apply at http://www.michigandebate.com.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me at akall@umich.edu.

Aaron

Michigan Debate

sup, im goin to the classic aldereter/ birch lab, and i was wondering if i cld partner with some one from the tate/herndon lab.... if so it would be ausome

thanks a lot

For the most part, people in the Classic need to be in the same lab to debate together. Their are logistical advantages to this. If there is an uneven number of people in labs, exceptions have and can be made. But, we hope to have 48 Sophomores this summer, so we should have an even number. One option would be for one of you to change your lab request so you could be in the same lab.

Aaron

Michigan Debate

when wld we knw if there an eneven number of ppl in a lab, and wht r the adv. of having a partner in the same lab.

We won't know the exact number of people in each Sophomore lab until May or June.

It's usually easier to debate with someone in the same Classic lab because you prep for debates in lab, do rebuttal redoes in lab, devise strategies in lab, etc. and all of those things are probably easier to do together at the same time.

Aaron

Michigan Debate

As mentioned, I am highlighting some of the incredible labs we have this summer - Last week was the Harris Matheson senior lab. This week is the Kall Phillips junior lab:

Aaron Kall is the assistant director at the University of Michigan - he has coached an NDT finalist, two first round bid teams, scores of speaker award winners including the top speaker at the 2005 Novice Nationals tournament this year. Aaron has accomplished all this in four years as a coach. In addition, virtually every student in his lab last summer is returning to U of M this summer for camp which says a ton about how much people enjoyed his lab. Aaron has worked at the University of Michigan camp and the University of Kentucky camp.

Scotty Phillips is a multiple time first round bid recipient to the NDT including a top five bid recipient. Scotty has gotten as far as quarterfinals of the NDT and won speaker awards at virtually every major college tournament. Scotty is also a former TOC champ. Scotty is one of the funniest lab leaders you will ever work with and is especially good listening to practice debates and speech redoes. Scotty has worked at the University of Michigan camp for three summers.

Its hard to go wrong with this lab. If you are a rising junior you should apply for one of the few remaining slots.

Josh

Aaron,

This post is concerning my availability to attend the seven week program. Due to scheduling conflicts i will be unavailable for the third week of June (familiy reunion). I realize that the camp is quickly filling and my switching back and forth can be somewhat hectic. I will be available to attend either the classic plus or the classic though. I apologize for this inconvience and if you could email me back with the availability of each program, classic plus or classic. I would still love to attend a program at michigan this summer and your cooperation has been very helpful. Hope to hear from you soon.

Steve

The below link should provide you the information you are seeking about the dorm we are using this summer- Stockwell Hall.

http://www.housing.umich.edu/residencehalls/stockwell/

Fridges and ethernet can be purchased for a very reasonable price. I don't think the rooms have microwaves, but there is probably one in the lobby or basement.

Aaron

Michigan Debate

• Downvote 1