ihangfromgallows

PHSSL QUALIFIERS!!!

And trust me, bad judging goes away for the most part once you hit college debate.. Or at least pref systems take care of the issue. I came from PA too, and I know that bad judges rain from the sky like lemon drop snowflakes, but I find that I don't generally run into that problem anymore.

I was from HADL country, homeland of bad judging, and while I agree with you on most parts, I have gotten some bad judges in college, like the Speech team coach who judged who was a comm professor and took speaker points to heart. That being said, judging in college is better and the people you meet are willing to help and the community is much closer and I think a better overall experience. many schools have debate programs with many different circuits to compete on and other competitions like Speech, National Ethics Bowl etc... all that have ties to debate and skills foster, not to mention any skills needed for a job in the legal profession.

1) LaSalle A

2) LaSalle B

3) The bye

(No one else showed)

1) Truman A (2-0)

2) Pennsbury A (1-1)

3) Pennsbury B (1-1)

4) Truman B (0-2)

I was from HADL country, homeland of bad judging, and while I agree with you on most parts, I have gotten some bad judges in college, like the Speech team coach who judged who was a comm professor and took speaker points to heart. That being said, judging in college is better and the people you meet are willing to help and the community is much closer and I think a better overall experience. many schools have debate programs with many different circuits to compete on and other competitions like Speech, National Ethics Bowl etc... all that have ties to debate and skills foster, not to mention any skills needed for a job in the legal profession.

I'm sure bad judges happen, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that they pop up far less frequently. And again, at most tournaments, I think having a pref system takes care of most of the problem.

Where is Clemson? Does the debate team have a speech counterpart? What is a National Ethics Bowl? All out of pure curiosity! :)

Where is Clemson? Does the debate team have a speech counterpart? What is a National Ethics Bowl? All out of pure curiosity! :)

Clemson is in SC, in the ACC, has a speech counterpart..actually mostly speech just started debating....National ethics bowl is a competition which is held where each team of 5 people get 15 cases with ethical dilemmeas in them and you present and rebut the other teamshowing your knowledge of ethics and etihcal theories. YOu go to a regional bowl which has 20-25 schools and 4 team qualify for nationals, where op 32 schools compete (we just got back, We got 3rd in country)

District 10

1. 2-0 Conestoga Husick/Victor

2. 1-1 Conestoga Bomze/Kogan

(alternate) 1-1 Harriton Metlay/Tong

District 10 is really drying up. It wasn't exactly a hotbed of great teams, but at least there was quantity. When I was a student we averaged about a dozen teams at Districts. Now they're all doing Public Forum "because it's easier" and (I contend) because the number of qualifiers has been chopped.

Hats off to the PHSSL Executive Board for a wise decision that has undermined quality debate. Obviously, making rash decisions without consulting the membership is the way to go.

Clemson is in SC, in the ACC, has a speech counterpart..actually mostly speech just started debating....National ethics bowl is a competition which is held where each team of 5 people get 15 cases with ethical dilemmeas in them and you present and rebut the other teamshowing your knowledge of ethics and etihcal theories. YOu go to a regional bowl which has 20-25 schools and 4 team qualify for nationals, where op 32 schools compete (we just got back, We got 3rd in country)

That's totally sweet. By cases, do you mean court cases, or just a series of resolutions? Is it like 5 person LD meets mock trial? I'm a little bit intrigued!

Ben,

Just to five you a heads up Clemson has had a policy program on and off for the last 20 years, but it never seems to last. Hope this time is different.

K. Hanson

Ben,

Just to five you a heads up Clemson has had a policy program on and off for the last 20 years, but it never seems to last. Hope this time is different.

K. Hanson

We do not have ceda policy but we have NFA ld, which is one person policy which I do.

That's totally sweet. By cases, do you mean court cases, or just a series of resolutions? Is it like 5 person LD meets mock trial? I'm a little bit intrigued!

No, the cases are usually something real that is happening but not really main steam, along with maybe 1 or 2 hypothetical cases based on current events. It is kind of Mock trial, ldish, but really different. Based on ethical prinicpals like Kant, Util, Virtue ethics etc....You argue abouth the relevent issues in case and answer questions judge poses you. The teams do not even have to take different stances on issue, can agree on what should be done but defend it better. It is alot of fun.