ihangfromgallows

PHSSL QUALIFIERS!!!

Well it is that time of year again, PHSSL State Tournament! Haha, you can almost smell the excitement. So, who's qualified?

Delone HP and Delone JL will be representing District 7.

It's the truth, it was a Delone sweep for District 7. Red Land took both spots in District 6.

Brings me back to the Delone vs. Red Land debate I witnessed a few weeks back over Delone's Draft Aff at Shik. That debate was good, but I enjoyed yesterday's Delone v. Susquehannock debate even more. Dialogue like "Let's just FIAT Bill Gates" and "This amounts to giving everyone a cookie" were among the highlights.

"Let's just FIAT Bill Gates" and "This amounts to giving everyone a cookie" were among the highlights.

Well to be accurate, what I said was:

1. "Fiating funding justifies fiating a Bill Gates donation. You can fiat the means but not the money."

2. "You can only allow advantages based off of fiat, and fiat only allows for what is called for in the resolution. This means you can fiat the increase but not where you put them. That is a plan spike and at the point where they claim an advantage off of it, it proves in round abuse. Allowing this justifies giving every new recruit a cookie, and then claiming an advantage off of it."

Hahaha, I was thinking about number two. Ok so aff gives everyone a cookie, claims the number of cookies needed warrants contracts with large bakery companies like Hostess and Little Debbie, claims baking industry key to America's economy, economic downturn leads to nuclear war. Hehe, that's awesome

Ok so aff gives everyone a cookie, claims the number of cookies needed warrants contracts with large bakery companies like Hostess and Little Debbie, claims baking industry key to America's economy, economic downturn leads to nuclear war. Hehe, that's awesome

Turn. More cookie sales helps the stablity of Hostess and Little Debbie, rather than destroying them by overdemand. The augmented cookie industry leads to an economic boom, growth good, juuddge.

susquehannock won't be attending. dropped by the same judge as last year. last year was due to her giving me 12 on speaks. this year, well I honestly have no idea why she dropped us.

Turn. More cookie sales helps the stablity of Hostess and Little Debbie, rather than destroying them by overdemand.

thats what i was claiming, i assumed you would understand it was an aff adv by starting with "aff claims" but yea, i'm saying without cookie contracts, bakery industry dies and thus economy.

but lets try to keep this about PHSSL qualifiers....

susquehannock won't be attending. dropped by the same judge as last year. last year was due to her giving me 12 on speaks. this year, well I honestly have no idea why she dropped us.

Was that judge middle-aged, brunette, tanned? She gave me an 11 on speaker. An 11. You don't give someone an 11 unless they present evidence that helps the other team or is disrespectful or something. And even worse, she gave my partner a SIX, bringing our grand total for our debate against Red Land yesterday to 17 speaker against Red Land's 51. Then, the next debate we achieved 49 combined speaker points. I think that judge needs to have a talking to.

Red Land took the first in District 6, but Cedar Cliff took second. Granted, they're sister schools. And as far as our judge is concerned - I'm from Red Land - she HATES speed. And Leah, I've seen you debate many times. Speed isn't something you have a problem with.

Good luck to all teams going - I look forward to seeing you there.

she didn't drop us because of speed. my speaks were actually good, especially from what i have gotten from her in the past. she dropped us on an argument the other team didn't run and claimed they did. lame.

unfortunatley...there is a history of biased decisions in HADL...I did not want to go to states my junior year because same day as prom..but 2 seniors on my team were really good and winning alot of tournaments that year and showing well at TOC tourneys, when they lost in final round to a team from a school that had not won a round all year, not even in HADL. This same team ask me in a HADL round what stock issues were. needless to say, they jdge was from my teams biggest competition so she dropped my teamates to allow her team to go to states. Even worse, there was no RFD on ballot so no justification. Get use to it, it happens.

I know it sucks. but another thing is that I can't just "get used to it." those freaking crappy districts were most likely my last debate rounds ever. I just got in touch with the admissions director at the private school I was hoping to go to so I could debate in california,and he stated that they rarely except senior year transfers. so thank you so much for making mylast rounds shit and based on freaking biased decisions.

uh. sorry for that rant. it's been a bad night

It is all fine in the long run.....you have all benefited from this event no matter what the ballot says...and you will realize that in college....if high school debate represents the low or high point in your life then you have issues.

Now with that said....it is a sad state of affairs when the state championship is considered almost comical by the majority of the people competing in it.

We need CXers to come back and judge and coach!!!!

Shawn

I know, but I planned on debating in college and it would really help with what I want to do as my career. so whatever. have fun in pa debate!

you still can debate in college.....she won't follow you......although it would be a funny story if she did....

I know, but I planned on debating in college and it would really help with what I want to do as my career. so whatever. have fun in pa debate!

You can definitely still debate in college. Many decent programs aren't exclusionary, and many college debaters who turn out to be successful started out as novices (first time ever debating) their freshman year. Any experience you had in high school would put you in a good starting position.

And trust me, bad judging goes away for the most part once you hit college debate.. Or at least pref systems take care of the issue. I came from PA too, and I know that bad judges rain from the sky like lemon drop snowflakes, but I find that I don't generally run into that problem anymore.

Steph

PS. I know the part about the lemon drop snowflakes was lame. Don't worry about it.

When is states? I may be available to judge. Duane

March 22nd to 24th....but they do not hire judges for some reason despite the many college programs that are relatively close. I am sure they would use you if you were to show up.....email Keith and he can pass your name on the Beth and Rene' who run CX tab....

Shawn