Sign in to follow this  
Wolfetho000

Micro/Macropolitical File

Does anyone have a generic macropolitical and micropolitical good/bad file? Just stuff that says macropolitical movements fail or solve and the same kind of thing for micropolitical? I can trade some stuff for it.

I have some already, but I would like to trade if someone had any that wasn't D+G from The Thousand Plateaus.

Hey, can I get what you already have?

can someone explain what macro/micro political both mean? they seem to pop up a lot with agamben/foucault, so i think it would be important to undersatnd...

In real simple terms Macropolitical is government action, micropolitical is individual action.

can someone explain what macro/micro political both mean? they seem to pop up a lot with agamben/foucault, so i think it would be important to undersatnd...

Read Best and Kellner. The kritik would be a micropolitical movement (usually) because it is activism and doesn't involve the state, a macropolitical movement involves the state and is tantamount to something like Brown v. Board of Education. Best and Kellner say that micropolitical movements fail and that they need the support of macropolitics.

Macro doesn't always necessitate the state not does micro necessitate just individuals. it's what the action itself is rather than who the actor is.

Macro doesn't always necessitate the state not does micro necessitate just individuals. it's what the action itself is rather than who the actor is.

Not according to Best and Kellner.

The emphasis on local struggles and micropower, cultural politics which redefine the political, and attempts to develop political forms relevant to the problems and developments of the contemporary age is extremely valuable, but there are also certain limitations to the dominant forms of postmodern politics. While an emphasis on micropolitics and local struggles can be a healthy substitute for excessively utopian and ambitious political projects, one should not lose sight that key sources of political power and oppression are precisely the big targets aimed at by modern theory, including capital, the state, imperialism, and patriarchy. Taking on such major targets involves coalitions and multi-front struggle, often requiring a politics of alliance and solidarity that cuts across group identifications to mobilize sufficient power to struggle against, say, the evils of capitalism or the state.

Thus, while today we need the expansion of localized cultural practices, they attain their real significance only within the struggle for the transformation of society as a whole. Without this systemic emphasis, cultural and identity politics remain confined to the margins of society and are in danger of degenerating into narcissism, hedonism, aestheticism, or personal therapy, where they pose no danger and are immediately coopted by the culture industries. In such cases, the political is merely the personal, and the original intentions of the 1960s goal to broaden the political field are inverted and perverted. Just as economic and political demands have their referent in subjectivity in everyday life, so these cultural and existential issues find their ultimate meaning in the demand for a new society and mode of production.

• Downvote 1

The card talks about micropolitics and local struggles, but I don't think it necessarily means that they're the same things. I just use the interpretation that Deleuze gives in Thousand Plateaus. Beyond that, micro/macro relations are out of my league. Maybe you're right.

• Downvote 2