Sivispacemparabellum08

Why Do We Participate In Debate?

debate=hot women. Also I suck at every sport that exists.

Yeah that would be my reason. As well as my partner and I in eighth grade we talking in history class about doing, so we did it. He dropped after novice year and then i kept with it. mostly for the chicks.

In debate, participants take a position, and then they are held responsible for that decision, and I like that.

Oh and the fact that it stimulates my competitive ego.

isn't copetitive ego kinda contradictory? isn't competition a characteristic of the id?

Well technically competition could be considered a base desire i.e. the id, but functionally i think that the term 'ego' these days has evolved into a term more applicable to what he is using, so i guess you (paradise) could be considered both wrong and right depending on how you look at it.

functionally i think that the term 'ego' these days has evolved into a term more applicable to what he is using

grr, just because it is accepted, it doesnt mean it is right.

Well, the reason I do policy as opposed to other forms of debate is (a) my coach told me I was going policy and I didn't know any better (B) my freshmen year, I saw our seniors giving a policy speech, and I was like "WOAH. If you can talk that fast, imagine how fast you can think!!" (and that made me determined to stick it out in policy) © I was really impressed with how well read, informed, and just straight-up brilliant all of the policy kids were (and some of the LDers too, but I already had policy stars in my eyes by that point).

The reasons I joined debate were a little different. I liked arguing, needed something to fill my time since I was determined to quit the swim team, wanted to be a lawyer, and thought it would look good on my college application. Plus I liked the idea of being around other smart people.

I stayed because I loved it. Interesting and brilliant people, fascinating culture, exposure to worlds of new information that I'd never even dreamed of, an addictive game that I was good at and exhilarated by playing... Not to mention I don't know how to quit. I am incapable of quitting.

That's the long and short of it.

For the people who love debate, have you ever wondered why you love it so much? What is it about all of the work, time, and lack of a life that keeps us coming back for more. Just a thought

actually a good number of debaters have "a life"