Sivispacemparabellum08

Why Do We Participate In Debate?

because we look good in ties.

That's why I started anyways.

That and it's really the only chance I get to wear french-cuffed shirts, and I'm a dandy at heart.

it is def cause we are intelligent, but sometimes don't like to apply it to school, and like to apply it to copetition and info that matters

education. as cheesey as it sounds its the mental stimulation. im a fairly smart kid and coming from a 1a school, it is hard to find classes that keep up w/ me. so in debate your mind is constantly racing and you always have to keep sharp. it is like a drug once you start you cant stop

Building on the last few posts, i think we (or at least me) know we are better then a large portion of the populace, and need someway to express it.

• Upvote 1

Building on the last few posts, i think we (or at least me) know we are better then a large portion of the populace, and need someway to express it.

I definitely agree with this. If we didn't, we wouldn't be making the activity increasingly more difficult for people to get away with little work.

I definitely agree with this. If we didn't, we wouldn't be making the activity increasingly more difficult for people to get away with little work.

Elitist much?

Not really. I was just commenting as to how the activity and its participants keep advancing in skill and speed in an attempt to make it exclusive.

I see how that's exclusive of my statement.

I thought about this yesterday, oddly enough. I honestly don't know. Education's a big part of it, along with the current events. I think it's awesome to learn how to stand up, say something, and then be able to defend it. Also leads to open-mindedness. As an extempor, it's normally hypocritical to say I'm open-minded, but either way, going Aff. and then going Neg. allows you to literally see both sides of the story, whether or not you believe in it.

Other than that, you're right. Why do we get up at five in the morning on a Saturday, go to some foreign school where you have to drag tubs up three flights of stairs, and then try to be smarter than two other punk kids?

I don't know, but I love it.

My neighbor is a debater, and i would see her go everywhere and have fun, so i joined.

I was argumentative, did not like to lose, and often learned a lot to defend the very simple of points.

At my school, a good GPA and SAT score is not enough for a good college. Debate helps greatly.

those are a few off the top of my head...

Speak for yourself...lol...I've had my fair share of debate hook up experiences...lol...I 'm sure you know of several other people who have had them as well

you're full of shit. no one would ever hook up with your ugly face.

On a serious note, IMHO, and based upon 58 years of life experience (a euphemism for extreme old age), academic debate is the last best hope for American-style democracy.

It is the only forum in which public policy is tested objectively by argument and not buried in a pile of cynicism, spin, political correctness, and mind-numbing expediency.

If people want to know the facts about issues, let them go to a high school or college policy debate.

It is the only forum in which public policy is tested objectively by argument and not buried in a pile of cynicism, spin, political correctness, and mind-numbing expediency.

Do you really think debate rounds aren't a pile of cynicism and spin? Those are two of the defining characteristics of debate.

Do you really think debate rounds aren't a pile of cynicism and spin? Those are two of the defining characteristics of debate.

Wait until you practice law, work in a political campaign, or - worse still - work for a real-life "policymaker." Debate has a lot of problems, but, for all its faults, it is the best intellectual crucible going.

why do people play basketball or football?

Having done both nine years of interscholastic football and then four years of college debate, I can tell you that the motivations were basically the same for me.

I love (a) the tradition and rivalries; (B) the intricacy of the game © the rush that I get from the competition, and (d) the lifelong friendships that are formed between/among teammates.

And take it from me - all stereotypes aside - there are very few "good but dumb" football players and very few "good but weak" debaters. Anybody who's been through a 12 or 13-round tournament knows that strength is essential.