Sign in to follow this  
VLORD

DADT Advantages

I have a big tournament coming up and I wanted to know what you think the best advantages are for DADT. Right now I have readiness and Civil Liberties. Would Civil Liberties work as an advantage with this case? Thanks for your input.

I have a big tournament coming up and I wanted to know what you think the best advantages are for DADT. Right now I have readiness and Civil Liberties. Would Civil Liberties work as an advantage with this case?

Yes.

Specifically, many teams that run this case rule on First Amendment free speech grounds and claim totalitarianism impacts with free speech internal links.

There are countless advantages to this case, including hegemony, homophobia, free speech, deference, etc. The cards for all of those advantages are actually pretty good.

There are no advantages to running DADT. Read the draft, it's a better case.

Also, I'd be careful running any rights claim. There are a lot of critiques that get awesome links like that.

• Downvote 1

homophobia, free speech, lesbian baiting, erasure, immunosupression/rediness , hege, deference...all I can think of now

• Upvote 1

Alright thanks for your input thus far, I think I am good to stick with civil rights and readiness.

• Downvote 1

homophobia and lesbian baiting

if you're willing to get a little critical, the closet is biopower

dont run a biopower adv...thats begging to be turned...and its not strategic

• Downvote 1

Lesbian baiting is awful, there's tons of evidence on how it actually doesn't happen or has no real impact. I haven't seen any convincing evidence from the last few years showing that lesbian baiting actually occurs.

Hegemony is the only legitimate advantage.

Agreed. Our big advantage is said Heg for the plan, however we struggled over whether or not to add a Feminism Adv for a while.

seriously if you want a heg adv. just run a Draft aff. People run DADT for the K types of adv. it is weak if alll you claim is heg. It is too easily turned...

seriously if you want a heg adv. just run a Draft aff. People run DADT for the K types of adv. it is weak if alll you claim is heg. It is too easily turned...

Honestly? There's about twenty internals into readiness.

You could add Heg and AIDS to the your list of ADVs

centerville ran it critically with subjectivity of language

bishup geurtin ran it also critically i think something weird dealing with gay people unable to procreate and thus embrase the death drive... i dont remember

hey anyone know some good cards that say that lesbian baiting isn't happenin?

hey anyone know some good cards that say that lesbian baiting isn't happenin?

thats a debate thats not really winable. their evidence is better and probably less biased then i remember your ev being. its much easier to argue circumvention and military wont enforce complaints... thoes cards are much better

1. The allegation of male servicemen using lesbian baiting is false.

Mazur, 1999 (Diane H., Professor at University of Florida Law School, “A Call to Arms,” 22 Harv. Women’s L.J. 39, pp. 52-53)

An illustrative example of feminist reliance on conclusory speculation – on what “coulda happened” – is the often-repeated assertion that military men use the legal exclusion of gay servicemembers as a weapon against military women who resist or report sexual harassment. The premise of “lesbian-baiting” is the idea that men can, and frequently do, avoid sanction for sexual harassment by threatening to accuse their victims, who are usually straight, of being gay and therefore end their military careers. The assumption is widespread; n69 while theoretically possible, however, it is a myth in practical terms. The “lesbian-baiting” allegation was first publicized during the 1993 congressional hearings on the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” debate; it certainly sounded possible, especially to feminists outside the military who were eager to free-ride on the outrage still lingering from Talihook. n70 It was politically advantageous because it made straight military women the harmed constituency at a time of acute sensitivity about sexual harassment. The charge that military men have retaliated against presumably [*53] straight women by seeking their discharge, however, has never been supported by researchers who have actually listened to military women on a non-self-selected basis.

This is from 1999; I haven't seen a piece of lesbian baiting evidence with any warrants from later than 1999, so if you must, you can win on post-dating.

Some of the most common cards are from Damiano in 99, so I don't think that'll get you far.

Sign in to follow this