tandemwack

2007 UIL State CX Tournament

Unfortunately, Austin SFA LR ( Dan Rowe and Travis Long ) will be attending in 5A. yay for closed cx, and no prompting

• Upvote 1

I wonder if a judge would get in trouble for allowing prompting/closed CX if both teams agreed.

Most likely.

Damn the rules.

the rule is closed cx right?

the rule is closed cx right?

Yes -- and I wouldn't try it even if the judge allows. If the team you are debating is a straight up UIL team, they can protest.

&Won't the UIL teams protest.

"But they ran a topical counterplan! Is that even allowed?"

That may have been sarcasm, but yes that is be technically allowed. However, all a team may have to do is say "That CP is topical, so it flows aff" and the judge could flow it across. It's best just to verify the type of judge you have.

If you don't feel you wan to "conform to UIL" then don't. Try to have fun debates. But explain why running a topical counterplan can actually be a good thing. Rhetoric like, "Judge, the aff seems to think that just because this CP is topical means it is irrelevant. Actually, there are numerous theorhetical reason why a topical CP should warrant debate time." That is the way that barriers can be broken down. If you don't really care about UIL state, then have fun, but also try to "educate" your opponents and the judge maybe. Of course, you don't want to be rude, but you can (and should be able to) justify all of your arguments, so if you feel like they're not being evaluted by the judge, then stand up for them.

the rule is also no spreading but how many teams actually listen to that?

Well, spreading and speed are not the same thing technically. Speed indcates a high rate of delivery. Spreading indicates a high quantity of arguments. Teams that "speed" may run only 3 or 4 off-case arguments the whole round which is not really a high quantity.

yeah i agree. UIL doesn't necessarily sanction those rules, other than closed cx. I think they also oficially "look down upon" speed. But truthfully, you can win with a topical counterplan, and you can win with speed. Generally though, the UIL cx community looks down on stuff like that. I really think it's changing though. My coach, who for the longest time swore she was a stock issues judge, will probably buy anything. I guess i've trained her, but as far as conditional arguments, counterplans, and kritiks go, she'll listen to them at least now. I think UIL is like it is because of the judging pool. It's made of mostly coaches. They want us to debate how they debated. I really can't wait to see what UIL will be like in 10 years, it should be interesting. I think UIL will always be behind because of this, but who knows. Maybe there is still hope.

the rule is also no spreading but how many teams actually listen to that?

The rule is

"speed that interferes with effective communication is to be expressly discouraged" or something just about the same as that