Sign in to follow this  
NoValue2Lyfe

Looking back at the "Strafor Incident"

The more and more I think about this whole incident from a perspective of someone outside the debate community I find the entire incident both hillarious and ridiculous.

How arrogant is the debate community to feel that a high profile private intellegence firm actually gives a fuck enough to forge a peice of intellegence in order for some college kids to win a tournament.

This entire thing highlights a serious flaw with the debate community: highly inflated self importance.

I find is amusing that so many debaters participate in what can almost be described as "groupthink" in the sense that they believe debate somehow has political significance outside of the debate community.

It is also rather funny that the debate communities initial reaction was to threaten Friedman, claiming that they would tarnish his reputation in DC and telling him that he would cause the next pearl harbor.

Friedman put it well when he stated: "The idea that college debaters constitute a uniquely significant constituency that must be taken more seriously than others is funny. I am 56 years old and have spent many years in DC and have never once heard a reference to college debaters as an important group. Apart form being insulting in tone and content, he was hilarious in demanding unique attention because of his position in debating. I had never heard of this debating meet, no one I knew had the slightest awareness of it and the idea that we had somehow developed our article to influence the meet (or whatever the writer was babbling about) was not just insulting, but silly. "

A couple other worthwhile quotes

"I have been challenged by several governments and threatened by a significant number of non-governmental organizations--some violent--in the nearly ten years of my business. Those were major problems. College debating coaches are not. It is not that as a human being you are insignificant. Far from it. However, that being involved in college debating somehow raises you beyond the normal run of mankind, certainly reduces your in importance in my mind. It is simply too pompous to tolerate. Like hang gliding, basketball and helping the poor, college debating is worthwhile activity and those engaged in it (as I was so long ago) should be commended. But you guys are taking yourself much too seriously."

I think Friedman got it right when he said "he should get a life--get a date, get drunk, rob a gas station. In other words, get a life and stop taking yourself so seriously. You are just not that important no matter what your parents told you. "

People take debate way to seriously.

ironic considering your other posts, i'd assume this is where you come out and tell us your true opinions.

1 question, if you hte the community so much for being arrogant, elitist bastards/bitches then why are you here? to open our eyes?

"I used to think one of the most powerful individuals in America was the

person who could select the annual high school debate topic. Think of the

power -- to set the agenda, and determine what millions of high school

students will study, read about, think about, talk about with friends,

discuss with their teachers, and debate with their parents and siblings over

dinner.

Your Commission has similar power. You have the opportunity to focus the

attention of the nation on critical questions – the issues we need to think

about, debate, and discuss. You have an opportunity to elevate the debate

above partisan interests, to lift people's eyes up and out to the horizon,

to help point a way ahead. "

- Donald Rumsfeld

The more and more I think about this whole incident from a perspective of someone outside the debate community I find the entire incident both hillarious and ridiculous.

How arrogant is the debate community to feel that a high profile private intellegence firm actually gives a fuck enough to forge a peice of intellegence in order for some college kids to win a tournament.

This entire thing highlights a serious flaw with the debate community: highly inflated self importance.

I find is amusing that so many debaters participate in what can almost be described as "groupthink" in the sense that they believe debate somehow has political significance outside of the debate community.

It is also rather funny that the debate communities initial reaction was to threaten Friedman, claiming that they would tarnish his reputation in DC and telling him that he would cause the next pearl harbor.

Friedman put it well when he stated: "The idea that college debaters constitute a uniquely significant constituency that must be taken more seriously than others is funny. I am 56 years old and have spent many years in DC and have never once heard a reference to college debaters as an important group. Apart form being insulting in tone and content, he was hilarious in demanding unique attention because of his position in debating. I had never heard of this debating meet, no one I knew had the slightest awareness of it and the idea that we had somehow developed our article to influence the meet (or whatever the writer was babbling about) was not just insulting, but silly. "

A couple other worthwhile quotes

"I have been challenged by several governments and threatened by a significant number of non-governmental organizations--some violent--in the nearly ten years of my business. Those were major problems. College debating coaches are not. It is not that as a human being you are insignificant. Far from it. However, that being involved in college debating somehow raises you beyond the normal run of mankind, certainly reduces your in importance in my mind. It is simply too pompous to tolerate. Like hang gliding, basketball and helping the poor, college debating is worthwhile activity and those engaged in it (as I was so long ago) should be commended. But you guys are taking yourself much too seriously."

I think Friedman got it right when he said "he should get a life--get a date, get drunk, rob a gas station. In other words, get a life and stop taking yourself so seriously. You are just not that important no matter what your parents told you. "

People take debate way to seriously.

what exactly happend?

Stratfor published this really sweet card right before Wake - and some debaters thought it was, well, too good.

Some thought someone connected to debate wrote the article, since their was no author

Brad Hall got ahold of Mr Friedman, the dude who I guess founded stratfor or something, and asked to know who wrote the article

Mr Friedman replied, saying no

Brad responded, requesting a works cited or something else tangible to understand how the author came to his conclusion.

This time Friedman was much more sarcastic, replying:

>Kid, believe me that no one at Stratfor pays any attention to

>intercollegiate debate. This may shock you, but we really didn't know that

>it was the big game. The strange coincidence you are talking about is not so

>strange. Everyone involved in China-U.S. relations has been discussing

>precisely the same issue of U.S. pressure and its effects on Hu. And it's

>been the main topic of conversation for a year. I know that college debaters

>are extremely knowledgeable about the world, but this issue didn't exactly

>surface in November. Everyone in another community--the Chinese Foreign

>Ministry and the State Department, has been obsessing with this for a long

>time.

>

>I think you are inflating the relevance, timeliness and significance of

>college debating. Why not get a date, get drunk, and rob a liquor store.

>Debating is clearly not good for you.

Then debaters got pissed, and there were some more emails that went back and forth between Wake Forest coaches and Friedman - and thats that

I never heard about the whole Stratfor thing.

Reading the archives on edebate was a kick. Rather embarrassing, as a debater. But oh man do my sides hurt from giggling.

I can't believe he kept responding. Sure he likes to write. Yeah, he had to be having fun with it. But I was certain he would have cut it off after the second email.

My favorite quote:

"If I ever were to engage in unethical behavior--which I hope never happens--I can assure you it will be for a more worthy or at least profitable end. I can honestly tell you that when we discussed this with my staff today, my gang couldn't stop laughing."

think you are inflating the relevance, timeliness and significance of

>college debating. Why not get a date, get drunk, and rob a liquor store.

>Debating is clearly not good for you

Agreed. <