Whats a file?

Spokane Thread

I think somewhere between the transition between Penny and the current coach, fund raising kind of went away. Not that the current coach does a great job at getting kids to fund raise. During my time involved with debate, 2001 up until now, we've never been good at it. We've always been kind of lazy about it, and nothing seems to be changing. I am exploring other ideas though, I recently found out about an organization in Seattle that independently raises money for debate, and I am thinking of trying and finding a collective of people to help get something similar started in Spokane. We'll see, it's in it's pre-natal stages, if anything.

Haven't been on here in a long time.

But have they released this year's schedule of GSL tournaments?

If not, when would that come out?

Thanks.

Couer d'Alene (varsity debate warm up, Varsity and Novice IE Warmup) - October 11

Lake City (novice debate warm up) - October 17 and 18

CV - November 14 and 15

Ferris - December 5 and 6

Mead - December 12 and 13

LC (IE's only) - January 17

U-High - February 5, 6 and 7

Location to be decided (IE Quals) - February 18 (the date might change, too, clearly we haven't decided much regarding IE Quals.)

St. George's (Nat Quals) - February 20 and 21

I think somewhere between the transition between Penny and the current coach, fund raising kind of went away. Not that the current coach does a great job at getting kids to fund raise. During my time involved with debate, 2001 up until now, we've never been good at it. We've always been kind of lazy about it, and nothing seems to be changing. I am exploring other ideas though, I recently found out about an organization in Seattle that independently raises money for debate, and I am thinking of trying and finding a collective of people to help get something similar started in Spokane. We'll see, it's in it's pre-natal stages, if anything.

Sam is definitely right on the laziness of kids at the school in terms of fundraising. most kids expect ASB to pay for everything, but we don't get a ton of funding. A lot of programs seem to have the same problems. I would be interested in what that organization entails Sam. Could you post a website or some info.

One thing that I see as a reoccurring theme but don't really see evidenced is the assumed correlation between success and funding. Do school boards really care about the success? I think they more and more are seeing that it's an expensive event one that contributes more red than black when balancing the bills at the end of the year.

This is not to defend schools and their ridiculous budget allocations- Cheerleaders and football players get new uniforms more consistently than we get travel money.

The problem I think extends beyond success- how do we get more funding for schools? Thomas and I weren't amazing by any extent- yet our entire team last year had a dominating performance locally, state-wide and even some national success; but, Mead still had major budget cuts and the school purposefully turned away kids from joining debate to keep it down to one class. Perhaps this is a better area to explore.

I think Andrew does have a point here. School boards don't seem to care about how much good can come of debate, which he especially can show, aka future dollars for GU. I dont know how, but the message needs to get out to people about why debate is important. It seems increasingly to be regarded as some nerd-off between kids without lives. While that may be true for the nerds (nothin but love for you two) most kids are pretty chill in the activity, and even more so in college. Schools would be willing, I think, to fund the program if A. they knew how beneficial the activity is for students and B. students could be motivated to join in larger numbers.

HOLY CRAP! That is wrong and would never have been considered back in my day! Penny would sign all sorts of waivers to let her classes be "over size". I believe we often traveled with >60 kids.

However... we did have to fund-raise our asses off. I believe the team back in the day of Joe Cutler, John Osebold, Jon Voight and my sister (to name just a few) won three state sweeps titles in a row in addition to a 13th place standing overall (if I remember right...I think it was low teens) in the country which led into my generation of debaters continuing the streak out to at least 6 state sweeps titles in a row. They still cut our funding completely my senior year...Yeah, there used to be a real strong tradition of debate at Mead. Very sad that you can't seem to make people care because it's not profitable...

First, just to make you feel old, I think Jon Voight's mother was my teacher in fourth grade. On a more important note, I didnt know that we were turning away kids, but the opportunity is lower because advanced and novice debaters are in one class, which is really hard for Stovern to deal with on top of another class added. The debate tradition is still alive at Mead, but only in a few kids that we pass it onto. it came to Andrew and I and we (hopefully) passed it onto Taylor and Kevin, who will eventually do the same

after they get good.

Overall, at least at Mead, I think that if we got some good interpers and other more entertaining events, some demos might spur some interest. most kids see debate as either too scholastic for them, which is ridiculous cuz is Micah can win rounds, anyone can. If we can show the ASB and other more influential organizations that kids are interested, they cant deny us, and if they do, maybe it is time to take another step and protest or petition or something. Whatever ends up happenin, debate looks to be in trouble in the GSL, and somethin needs to be done.

On an unrelated note, this isnt fair! Kids might have gotten Africa (Good topic), Alternative Energy (okay topic), and then Space (OSM topic). We got screwed Andrew (except for Nat Service, I liked that)!

Edited by Wolfetho000

Sam is definitely right on the laziness of kids at the school in terms of fundraising. most kids expect ASB to pay for everything, but we don't get a ton of funding. A lot of programs seem to have the same problems. I would be interested in what that organization entails Sam. Could you post a website or some info.

Thomas, I'm not sure what the Seattle Debate organization entails, but here's what I'm thinking for Spokane. Create a non-profit and call up lawyers, and track down debate alums from all over and try and raise money to do two things. Help fund teams go to more away tournaments, this year many teams are going to Whitman and that's it, including Mead, and secondly help get kids funding to go to camp. The trick is to find an accountant who will do this for free, and then finding people to call people.

If you want, you can check out the Seattle site: http://seattledebate.org/

First, just to make you feel old, I think Jon Voight's mother was my teacher in fourth grade.

I'm sure she was. She was also the Talented and Gifted program teacher. She's a cool lady and she has two awesome sons who are both great guys (and who were both debate heavy-weights)...

As far as interpers: do you guys need some ideas for material, or maybe some old-school interpers to help instruct? I did HI and Dual, so I've got a list in my head of favorites I've seen or done that I'd be happy to pass along to someoone. As for finding interpers, check in the theater. Seriously, find some people who are into acting in general and pitch debate as just another opportunity to make everyone look at you while you're talking. I also know there are a bunch of old debaters around spokane and seattle who might possibly be able to be talked into coming in to help out a little...

Edited to add: You guys should also invite other schools from the GSL to workshop days. Let them bring whoever they want (especially people who are maybe just thinking about getting into forensics) and let them watch and work with your best in each event for a couple of hours. I don't know if you guys are still keeping your trophies in the debate room until the end of the year like we used to, but it used to really fire people up to come into our debate room and walk past all our hardware. People see that and they say "Damn! I want some of that!"

Edited by Kwahati

Jordan and I will be debating together as well as Galen and Vimal. It'll be good times.

Haha, I'm think Lakecity will be sending at least two teams and doesn't CDA have some...thing?

Jordan and I will be debating together as well as Galen and Vimal. It'll be good times.

I didn't know you guys were debating together. You got to me informed.

Novice tournament tomorrow. How many teams are going? I heard G prep had a ridiculous number.

Why were schools closed today? It snowed like an inch.

A) Pretty sure it snowed more than an inch.

B) They thought there would be lots of snow.

C) The county (and therefore, my father) suck at plowing.