happychick101

Georgetown University Cherry Blossom Tournament

The first annual Georgetown University Cherry Blossom Tournament will be held March 10-12, 2007 (Saturday-Monday) on the main campus of Georgetown University in Washington, DC. The spring is a fabulous time to visit the area! We are excited about the level of competition, quality judging, prizes and Georgetown entertainment offered locally. Having commitments from outstanding teams from at least five different states already, this tournament will be an intense weekend of competition. Our tournament will offer Policy debate in Novice, JV and Varsity levels assuming there is demand to fill the divisions. In the Policy Varsity division there will be seven debates and in the policy novice and junior varsity divisions and Public Forum there will be six rounds of debate. In addition we will host a Lincoln Douglas Round Robin. Please accept our invitation to the tournament and join us for what promises to be an exciting and intellectually rigorous weekend in March.

Further information on scheduling and logistics is available at http://debate.georgetown.edu/2007CherryBlossom.html, and teams may register online at https://www4.georgetown.edu/uis/keyb...fm?FormID=1714.

Sarah Ancas

Georgetown University

EDIT: I'm greatly confused by the website information - the site says the deadline already passed at one place, then says we have two more weeks on a different page. If the deadline was just four days away, why was this invite posted?

Sorry, just confused.

I'd like to go, just because there's nothing else to do that weekend.

Kyle, you guys going to Harvard?

Yes, thankfully. We're sending four teams, I think (some novice, some varsity).

We got lucky, not much space left.

Hopefully I'll be going with anyother SJ Team

And hopefully, the school will pay for our plane tickets...

We're taking the Campus Ministry Van, I believe.

Nothing like a ten-hour road trip to encourage team bonding, eh?

The registration deadline for the Georgetown University Cherry Blossom Tournament is this Friday, 2/16/2007. Please see my original post to find the links to the registration information and also to complete your registration online! This will be one tournament you don't want to miss!

Also, feel free to email me with any questions.

GDS is sending adam "ginja" wyron and julia "..." coursey. lux "monkey cock" luxemburg will be hanging out but not debating, because he is very good at hockey.

and, basically all of our novices.

Because of some last minute drops, JV and V will be collapsed. (Novice is separate.) I will try to post a list tomorrow of all the schools who will be in attendance, I just don't have it now.

I'm going to be giving tours of Georgetown, so make sure to take one! =)

The following teams broke to partial quarterfinals in varsity policy:

(1) Pace Academy AL (6-0) received a bye.

(2) Bronx Science CH (5-1) received a bye.

(3) St. John's Deming (Maverick) (4-2) advances over (6) St. John's FW (4-2) (Sean Frey and Conor Walsh)

(4) Blacksburg advances over Blacksburg (I forget the teams))

Varsity Speaker Awards (that I remember):

1.) Jennifer Armstrong - Pace Academy

2.) Peyton Lee - Pace

3.) Paula Cajdler - Bronx

4.) Saieed Hasnoo - Bronx

As you can see, Pace and Bronx dominated.

Tomorrow morning, the semifinals will be (3) Saint John's against (2) Bronx, and (4) Blacksburg against (1) Pace.

An excellent tournament - I recommend it to all for next year.