Requiem

Where do you start?

Hmm.. Does anyone else feel that a brand new topic is rather daunting?

How do most people approach a topic change? What type of file do you begin with, and what kind of timeline do you attempt to keep? It seems like Topicality files, Affirmatives, and Negatives are all based off of what other people run or accept. Should one wait until camps come out to start? Ugh.

Generally, if you have a timeline or order that's worked well for you before, I'd love to hear about it.

I would start looking for some interesting topics, but don't build any files until this year's resolution is done at least.

As previously mentioned, cut cards you see that are applicible. We probably won't write anything until after camp.

ur probably better off just reading a lot up on the topic now than trying to write all ur files for next year.

agreed. i always love:rolleyes: to start the research early. even if it only helps a little, i prefer to have more, earlier

Do some reading into the history of the major conflicts in Africa first. That will not only help you come up with Aff/Neg ideas, but also give you a context in which to evaluate other ideas as they come to you later. This may be the most beneficial choice you can make on a topic such as this, in my opinion.

Do some reading into the history of the major conflicts in Africa first. That will not only help you come up with Aff/Neg ideas, but also give you a context in which to evaluate other ideas as they come to you later. This may be the most beneficial choice you can make on a topic such as this, in my opinion.

It also lets you call other teams out on bullshit more effectively.

I agree. Now is the time to generally educate yourself. Buy a few books, or check them out. Now is the time to get some "big pictures". As suggested, you might put together some initial thoughts on what cases/positions will be out there. Worry later about the specifics.

By the way, I've got some initial links up (right now it's the "big" sites on Africa, but it's a place to start.)

debatelinks.com/links

not to hijack the thread, but since everybody's talking about reading up on the topic, i'm just wondering what some books you guys would recommend are.

Hmm.. Does anyone else feel that a brand new topic is rather daunting?

How do most people approach a topic change? What type of file do you begin with, and what kind of timeline do you attempt to keep? It seems like Topicality files, Affirmatives, and Negatives are all based off of what other people run or accept. Should one wait until camps come out to start? Ugh.

Generally, if you have a timeline or order that's worked well for you before, I'd love to hear about it.

umm lets see what delone has done for the past five or six years.....

1)PIRATE CAMPS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!

2)Build you own shit afterwards...

3)Sit back and bask in the ownage that our unique intellect has allowed us to pull off (aka bullshit you way through the sahara)

don't even claim it is not true, i know you to well for that...