jdsmith1000

Critical Affs on the Topic

A simple case area that I think could play out would be a Female Mutilation occurs through ignorance Kritikal Aff... any takers.

Obviously there's ground for critical affs everywhere on this topic.

Off the top of my head here's some I can think of.

Derrida/Levinas - there's hella lit in terms of Africa for this whole infinite responsibility thing.

Deleuze and Guattari - what the fuck is Africa anyway? this aff would probably have alot to do with the idea of what it means to be African and your usual Deleuzoguattarian identity politics schtuff.

Zizek #1 - questionable in terms of topicality but one could probably advocate the usage of public health works for genocide. the usual Racism good, HR Bad, lets up the Hatred, take down the multiculturalism jig.

Zizek #2 - largely oriented in terms of the anti-capitalism lit he engages in. also addresses some of the social ails of Africa. for more info go here.

I heard talk about some Fem IR affs. What else are ya'll thinking of?

• Upvote 1

Guest svfrey

Derrida/Levinas - there's hella lit in terms of Africa for this whole infinite responsibility thing.

Deleuze and Guattari - what the fuck is Africa anyway? this aff would probably have alot to do with the idea of what it means to be African and your usual Deleuzoguattarian identity politics schtuff.

Zizek #1 - questionable in terms of topicality but one could probably advocate the usage of public health works for genocide. the usual Racism good, HR Bad, lets up the Hatred, take down the multiculturalism jig.

Zizek #2 - largely oriented in terms of the anti-capitalism lit he engages in. also addresses some of the social ails of Africa. for more info go here.

if you wanted to go ultra-crit and actually critique the resolution, you could not give aid to africa and link it in with some kind of disease securitization/stigmatization kinda thing. and with that aff you could also go with a biopower adv, because you could have an amazing link-out that says providing aid to regions like sub-saharan africa is biopolitical.

just an idea....

if you wanted to go ultra-crit and actually critique the resolution, you could not give aid to africa and link it in with some kind of disease securitization/stigmatization kinda thing. and with that aff you could also go with a biopower adv, because you could have an amazing link-out that says providing aid to regions like sub-saharan africa is biopolitical.

just an idea....

There are good and bad forms of biopower...

Also, Felix, do you have any decent Deleuze and Guattari articles for your idea?

Also, Felix, do you have any decent Deleuze and Guattari articles for your idea?

Hit me up on msn sometimes I use aim but I'm on msn more.

Guest svfrey

Like I said, just an idea...

and of course there is going to be debate on whether foreign aid is a good or bad form of biopower. it just matters which side you win.

:)

Like I said, just an idea...

and of course there is going to be debate on whether foreign aid is a good or bad form of biopower. it just matters which side you win.

:)

more like biopolitix

Ok does anyone have any ideas that are not biopolitics related? For real, the Foucault and Agamben debates are good ones but for christ sake people lets mix it up a bit.

Ok does anyone have any ideas that are not biopolitics related? For real, the Foucault and Agamben debates are good ones but for christ sake people lets mix it up a bit.

there is a philosophy i heard about... he advocates violence to end colonialism i think (correct me if im wrong). that may be something intresting

Guest svfrey
And then lose to a team that knows how to debate topicality.

lets try making comments on felix's ideas now, hmmm? not just on mine...

of course this would be only for people who are prepared to go all out in an attempt to beat t, ie: k of t, t is genocide, i mean, like a fuckin 4 minute block to topicality, because thats all they are going to be facing...

As far as Deleuze and Guattari go, there are a lot of articles that deal with the becoming-minority. I think a K that advocates "becoming-other" i.e. representative of Africans, would be very strong.

I also agree with the Zizek, but I would tackle it from his angle of Globalization. I would try to shy away from the capitalism angle of it, but rather focus on his ideas of American cultural hege.

The fact that Spanos hasn't been mentioned yet really shows the lack of reading you all do with what postmodernists think about Africa...

• Downvote 1

Borders/Shapiro is one of the first things that comes to my mind.

Borders would be a good adv. on this topic. By focusing on a region that needs assistance rather than a country, the affirmative advocacy helps degrade the system of borders, etc. Good call.

• Downvote 1

I think the best way to approach critically is to think of ways that the United States and Western culture are sick. There's lots of evidence suggesting that the reason why Africa struggles is because of the vestiges of imperialism and slavery. Some of this writing suggests that the solution lies in the Western world, that it's based in white supremacy, which, it can be argued, is a mental illness, and that the first step is in curing that is to admit the problem.

Provide microloan startup funds for independent women home brewers- fights empire, patriarchy, increases community involvement and provides economic stability. plus, beer variety is good in and of itself. see "Fermenting Revolution: How to Drink Beer and Save the World." See also Uganda-Space, Place, Capital, and Power: a case study..

How do you get to an affirmative reading of Spanos Derek? I just don't see that.

I wasn't really speaking in terms of critical affirmatives, but more in the terms of negative critical strategies.

But, I could see some swing given to Spanos for the aff. There's nothing stopping teams from, like, defining 'public health assistance' as democracy, and overidentifying/mocking/etc. But I agree - if Spanos actually saw this resolution, he'd probably shit himself and scream in disbelief/agony/depreciation that people could even conceive the idea as being good.

I think the best way to approach critically is to think of ways that the United States and Western culture are sick. There's lots of evidence suggesting that the reason why Africa struggles is because of the vestiges of imperialism and slavery. Some of this writing suggests that the solution lies in the Western world, that it's based in white supremacy, which, it can be argued, is a mental illness, and that the first step is in curing that is to admit the problem.

Why Joe, did you just disclose how the project is making itself topical next year? As if we didnt already know :P