kerpen

2007-08 Topic Is Africa

The NFHS announced that next year's winning topic is Africa. The margin was razor-thin, 17 to 16. As usual many states did not vote.

This is the resolution:

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its public health assistance to Sub-Saharan Africa.

You can read the topic paper here.

The margin was razor-thin, 17 to 16.
It was even closer than that--Ohio's statewide vote came in as a tie, which means that one more school in Ohio voting for Pandemics could have deadlocked the vote. Keep that in mind the next time you're thinking that your school's vote doesn't matter...

anyone else notice the lack of "establish" or "policy"

anyone think this will affect the t debate next year?

Not as much as we think I expect them to change it though.

That's what everyone said about this year's topic when it was announced, but now most ppl like it. That's the way it is, ppl will complane then they will accept it and realize that the topic really isn't the crap that they thought it was.

why would people vote for this?

this year's topic is so much better, and this new topic is like crap.

lol

who else agrees with me?

Actually this years topic was not very great, I personally liked last year better, but I am pretty upset with the new topic because there are many different areas in the world that we could debate on and learn a lot about. However, just deal wiith what we have as a resolution and debate. You will eventually learn a lot and probably learn to love the topic.

No. And there is a very solid explanation of why posted by Tim Alderete in the other topic thread.

Is it just me, or isn't the link on the front page to last year's topic paper? I know Kerpen is as diligent as they come, so that leads me to ask, is there a separate topic paper for this year?

It was even closer than that--Ohio's statewide vote came in as a tie, which means that one more school in Ohio voting for Pandemics could have deadlocked the vote. Keep that in mind the next time you're thinking that your school's vote doesn't matter...

Ohio's always the swing state...

it didnt exist on the civil liberties topic, and that was never really a huge issue, so no

Is it just me, or isn't the link on the front page to last year's topic paper? I know Kerpen is as diligent as they come, so that leads me to ask, is there a separate topic paper for this year?
If you go to this page on the NFHS website, then click on the link to Topic No. 1, it will take you to the correct topic paper. When you get there, keep in mind that the topic paper was written to justify a pretty broad range of potential resolutions (as most good topic papers are). Don't expect the whole paper to be devoted to the specific resolution that eventually won out. It doesn't work like that...

Terrence, I am aware of that. However I am looking at a hard copy of the paper Don wrote for the 2005 selection process, and this electronic copy, and they are the exact same paper only with "2005" replaced by "2006" in the footer. Not that there was any need to write a brand new topic paper, I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the right one and not a mistaken link created by someone at NFHS.

I am excited about this topic, though. Hopefully, no shadowy cabal will emerge from the darkness to tweak it without any public input. Not that there's any historical precedent for that sort of thing . . .

nor were they present last year hmmm...

Yeah, I submitted the same paper. :)

I wish they would have gone with the more inclusive list of options, but as I was not at the meeting, I don't know what the rationale for changing the topic from the wording the year before was.

It's a very good paper, by the way. I'm not sure about the choice either, but in the end it's going to be a fun and educational topic.

last years topic was sooooo much better than this years and africa......africa is going to end up being alot like this years

This is gonna be fun, but wouldn't a great T be if the aff is specific to a certain country then it isn't substantial to all of SSA

This is gonna be fun, but wouldn't a great T be if the aff is specific to a certain country then it isn't substantial to all of SSA
In a word, "No." The word "substantially" modifies the verb in the resolution sentence. That means that it is the increase in assistance which must be substantial, not the number of countries to which the assistance is directed...

In a word, "No." The word "substantially" modifies the verb in the resolution sentence. That means that it is the increase in assistance which must be substantial, not the number of countries to which the assistance is directed...

But a substantial increase in health assistance to one of the countries in SSA still isn't substantial to all of SSA.