Sign in to follow this  
Maxster111

Running cp

to run a counterplan is very simple. all you have to do is argue that the aff's way of doing things is horrible, so you propose a counterplan that states instead of working through the UN, we should work through someone else. Make sure that whatever counterplan your running, it should not be topical. Be wary as the aff who are experienced like to perm to get rid of your cp and thus making you lose the round. so if your running a counterplan, you must have evidence supporting why its the only way to go. While running a cp, you should also throw in a few da's that strictly apply to aff's that dont apply to yours.

• Downvote 1

I run mine tripositional - if the neg runs over three arguments against the CP I can kick it. It clearly is the fairest option because if they say a lot of stuff then it proves I shouldn't be obligated to answer it. And because it's the fairest... how hard is it to not run over three args?

I run mine tripositional - if the neg runs over three arguments against the CP I can kick it. It clearly is the fairest option because if they say a lot of stuff then it proves I shouldn't be obligated to answer it. And because it's the fairest... how hard is it to not run over three args?

Lame. You're saying that the 2AC has to choose 3 arguments to be stuck with and give you the entire 13 minutes of the block to answer back those arguments. So either the 2AC is unfairly timesucked since they can straight turn it with 6 arguments and have it dropped, or the 2AC has to choose which three of the turns you won't 10 point in the block.

Also, 3 is just an abitrary number. Some arguments take longer to answer then others, Also, it'd be infinitely regressive because you could claim that you can only handle one argument and therefore its fair to force them into one argument. Finally, why is it unfair for the 2AC to spread the block out? If you get stuck with the CP, then you can kick other arguments. Or you could just run it conditionally and justify it, I suppose.

Make sure that whatever counterplan your running, it should not be topical

Not true.

Topical counterplans are fine (Courts, Consultation, Executive Order, etc...). Sure, it's a lot easier to defend a non-topical counterplan because most perms sever. But, restricting counterplan debate to textually competitive counterplans destroys a lot of key negative ground.

"Undefeated" is right that cps can be topical; see the original concept was that the neg. ahd to uphold the SQ and the aff. the resolution. So the idea is that neg. cps must follow the SQ not the resolution, however by debating a topical cp you have more options and it centers the debate around the aff. case and not just res. vs. SQ. hope that helps a bit