neural link

Trivia thread REDUX.

What was the first book published in English?

Beowulf

I can't remember the name of it to save my life, but I'm tellin' y'all it WASN'T a work of fiction, and it wasn't a religious tract (at that time, the whole idea of having Bibles in the hands of individual Christians was controversial); the original KJV didn't appear until the early 17th century, more than 150 years after Gutenberg...

Anyway, I'm almost positive the thing we're hunting for was a history book, or somebody's journal, or something. The point is, it was trivia...

Give the county names of the boroughs of New York City that differ from the names of the boroughs. Those living in or near New York, please don't answer.

Staten Island is Richmond County and Brooklyn is Kings County. Queens is Queens County, but I don't know if Manhattan or the Bronx differ.

They do (Manhattan is New York City County) and they don't (the Bronx is Bronx County). There was actually a Law and Order episode where the DA swindled a defense attorney on this very issue... ;)

Correct.

Although not a "kindgom" in practice, which South American nation held that title until 1818, when it gained independence from Spain?

Who is the only debater to have won CFLs, NFLs, and the TOC?

Who was the first person named NBA Finals MVP?

To whom is the Spingarn Medal awarded?

In braille, what is the meaning of all six dots raised?

As a percentage of total population, what is the "whitest" state in the U.S.? (I will accept either of the two highest-ranking states since they are less than 0.1% apart.)

What "Original Celebrated" British product is "curiously strong"?

Whose pseudo-dictionary contains the following definitions?

High Limerigg (n.) The topmost tread of a staircase which disappears when you're climbing the stairs in darkness.

Spokane (vb.) To remove precious objects from a room before a party.

Rochester (n.) One who is able to gain occupation of the armrests on both sides of their cinema or aircraft seat.

Who is Clay Carter?

What major European city has two police forces?

Do you count the Vatican as being part of the city of Rome? If so then Roman police and the Swiss Guard both operate there. Else I'd guess an international hub, like Strasbourg or Geneva.

No.

Give the county names of the boroughs of New York City that differ from the names of the boroughs. Those living in or near New York, please don't answer.

Staten Island is Richmond County and Brooklyn is Kings County. Queens is Queens County, but I don't know if Manhattan or the Bronx differ.

Yes, and Shuman got the others.

Just kind of bored, and thought I would add a bit of detail about something I mentioned earlier. Although there were hand-written translations of the Bible floating around when Gutenberg came along, the official church position was that individual congregants should NOT have their own copies in their own language. Such was the power of the Church to enforce this edict that John Wycliffe, who led a movement to distribute hand-written English translations of the Bible, was actually ordered to be dug up and punished posthumously by Pope Martin V. John Hus, a follower of Wycliffe's who argued for the distribution of English-language Bibles, was burned at the stake in 1415, and copies of Wycliffe's hand-written English Bibles were used to kindle the fire.

The first Bible to be printed using Gutenberg's technology was produced by Erasmus in 1516, but it was a Latin-Greek version, not English. William Tyndale holds the distinction of publishing the first English-language translation (New Testament) in 1525. Ironically, Henry VIII had Tyndale burned at the stake in 1536, but himself ordered the publication of an English Bible just three years later. Of course, Henry's motives had more to do with supporting his desire to obtain a divorce from Catherine Howard than any desire to spread the Gospels... ;)

Which Division I-A football coach holds the record for winning percentage (minimum 100 career victories), and where did/does he coach?

Steve Spurrier?

Phil Fullmer, Univ. of Tennessee (.776). Bowden (.768) is second, and Spurrier (.765) is third...

Although not a "kindgom" in practice, which South American nation held that title until 1818, when it gained independence from Spain?

In braille, what is the meaning of all six dots raised?

As a percentage of total population, what is the "whitest" state in the U.S.? (I will accept either of the two highest-ranking states since they are less than 0.1% apart.)

Altoids mints.

High Limerigg (n.) The topmost tread of a staircase which disappears when you're climbing the stairs in darkness.

Rochester (n.) One who is able to gain occupation of the armrests on both sides of their cinema or aircraft seat.

Who is Clay Carter?

What European country actually hosts its own embassy for another sovereign state?

Altoids mints.

Correct

Hmm, Berlin?

What European country actually hosts its own embassy for another sovereign state?

France.

John Forbes Kerry

In braille, what is the meaning of all six dots raised? (Hint: it stands for a commonly used word, not a letter)

Who is Clay Carter? (Fictional character)

Is the "recieving" state one of the six smallest countries in Europe (Andorra, San Marino, Monaco, the Vatican, Luxemborg, or Lichtenstein)?

Who is the current President of the Non-Aligned Movement?

Name either of the two straits you would pass through sailing from the Black Sea to the Aegean via the Sea of Marmara.

What is Vatnajökull?

Who are Tom and Ray Magliozzi?

John Forbes Kerry

Name either of the two straits you would pass through sailing from the Black Sea to the Aegean via the Sea of Marmara.

No. Im pretty sure Kerry wasnt a debater and debated to early to have won the TOC. (Also, did you SEE him in 2004, no way).

Also, the Bosporus and the Dardennelles are teh straits to the Sea of Marmara

Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers, of NPR's Car Talk.

I'm going to say President of Brazil Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva (yes, I memorized his full name. The story involves a quiz bowl tournament, a first-place trophy, and a one-question swing.)

In braille, what is the meaning of all six dots raised? (Hint: it stands for a commonly used word, not a letter)

What is Vatnajökull?

Name the otwo oldest political parties still extant.

No. Im pretty sure Kerry wasnt a debater and debated to early to have won the TOC. (Also, did you SEE him in 2004, no way).
Well, he debated in college (I don't know how well), so it was a complete guess. I figured someone should try for that question, it's been up for a while.
Also, the Bosporus and the Dardennelles are teh straits to the Sea of Marmara
Correct. The Bosporus flows from the Black Sea to the Sea of Marmara past Istanbul and the Dardanelles flow into the Aegean.

Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers, of NPR's Car Talk.

Yes.

I'm going to say President of Brazil Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva (yes, I memorized his full name. The story involves a quiz bowl tournament, a first-place trophy, and a one-question swing.)

No (although that story sounds fun, winning trivia contests rocks). Brazil isn't part of the NAM, though it does send observers to most NAM meetings.

Who was the first person named NBA Finals MVP? (This award wasn't created until several decades after the NBA formed; this player was drafted by Minnesota in the 1960's and won the award in 1969)

Which Brits' pseudo-dictionary contains the following definitions?

Berlin?

What is Vatnajökull?

Name the two oldest political parties still extant.

Conservatives/Tories (UK) and Democrats (US)

In what ecclectic, comedic tome will you find "Lack of Power: The Ford Tapes", "Martha Stewart's Vagina", "The Devil and William Gates", and "Adolf Hitler: The Larry King Interview"?

The "Aboistop" is a real product that promises to stop your pet from doing what?

What South American animal (scientifically: Camponotus saundersi) is known for approaching enemies and then blowing itself up in battle? (if you saw the previous version of this question, please don't answer)

Since the Faulkands War, British pilots have rumored that penguins do this when aircraft pass over. The UK Royal Navy spent about $36k investigating and disproving the rumor.

What was the name of the body convened in Afghanistan in 2003 to discuss the proposed constitution?

I realize that most of the recent questions by everyone would be 4 or 5 points if we were still doing that, so here are some easier ones:

What is the most populous democratic country?

Which country has the greatest number of mulsims?

Who uncovers the mystery of the murder on the Orient Express?

Which TV game show hosted by Monty Hall gave rise to a topic now covered in most Intro to Statistics courses?

Last year, the town of Pahrump, NV outlawed the display of any foreign flag unless... what?

The 110th Congress has a record number of Buddhists; how many?

A Florida woman recently survived unscathed when what deflected a bullet fired during a New Year's celebration?

What overweight population is targeted by Pfizer's newly FDA-approved drug?

9-year-old "Ashley" from Washington state is at the center of a medical ethics debate because her parents ordered what done to her?

Who was the first person named NBA Finals MVP? (This award wasn't created until several decades after the NBA formed; this player was drafted by Minnesota in the 1960's and won the award in 1969)

What is Vatnajökull?

In what ecclectic, comedic tome will you find "Lack of Power: The Ford Tapes", "Martha Stewart's Vagina", "The Devil and William Gates", and "Adolf Hitler: The Larry King Interview"?

The "Aboistop" is a real product that promises to stop your pet from doing what?

What South American animal (scientifically: Camponotus saundersi) is known for approaching enemies and then blowing itself up in battle? (if you saw the previous version of this question, please don't answer)

Since the Faulkands War, British pilots have rumored that penguins do this when aircraft pass over. The UK Royal Navy spent about $36k investigating and disproving the rumor.

What was the name of the body convened in Afghanistan in 2003 to discuss the proposed constitution?

I realize that most of the recent questions by everyone would be 4 or 5 points if we were still doing that, so here are some easier ones:

Which TV game show hosted by Monty Hall gave rise to a topic now covered in most Intro to Statistics courses?

Last year, the town of Pahrump, NV outlawed the display of any foreign flag unless... what?

A Florida woman recently survived unscathed when what deflected a bullet fired during a New Year's celebration?

9-year-old "Ashley" from Washington state is at the center of a medical ethics debate because her parents ordered what done to her?

Name the two oldest political parties still extant.

Conservatives/Tories (UK) and Democrats (US)

Yep.

Berlin?

No.

Now to answer some:

A grand total of two: Hank Johnson of Georgia and Mazie Hirono of Hawaii.

And a new one:

From 1994-1996, something very strange was happening in Japanese politics. What was it?

Montana and/or Alaska.

Italy -- it hosts its embassy for the Vatican.

What is Vatnajökull?

fall on their backs (from looking directly overhead entirely too far)

Agatha Christe (or is it Christy?)

a plate in her head?

9-year-old "Ashley" from Washington state is at the center of a medicalethics debate because her parents ordered what done to her?

gastrointestinal bypass surgery? (what I mean is the stomach-staple procedure)

What is Vatnajökull?

The bombardier beetle?

Indonesia

Hercule Peirot?

9-year-old "Ashley" from Washington state is at the center of a medicalethics debate because her parents ordered what done to her?

I can't give you a technical name but I can give you a summary. She underwent hormone therapy (I think estrogen injections) so that she wouldn't grow much larger and she would retain a childlike appearance. Her parents wanted this so they could continue to easily care for her.

What is the name of the major Quebec separatist party, which the current Governor General of Canada is a member of?

A grand total of two: Hank Johnson of Georgia and Mazie Hirono of Hawaii.

Correct.

Montana and/or Alaska.

Nope, neither one.

fall on their backs (from looking directly overhead entirely too far)

Correct

Agatha Christe (or is it Christy?)

No, she wrote the novel; I'm looking for the name of her fictional detective.

a plate in her head?

No, it's much funnier than that.

gastrointestinal bypass surgery? (what I mean is the stomach-staple procedure)

Pff, that's not controversial at all nowadays...
most populous democratic country- If you count India it's India.
I count India; correct.
most muslums in a country- gonna guess Pakistan??????
Nope.

Indonesia

Hercule Peirot?

Both correct, though it's Hercule Poirot; he's French.

I can't give you a technical name but I can give you a summary. She underwent hormone therapy (I think estrogen injections) so that she wouldn't grow much larger and she would retain a childlike appearance. Her parents wanted this so they could continue to easily care for her.

Right. She has the mental abilities of a 3-year-old and will probably never advance further; without this procedure she would have eventually grown too large to be cared for by her parents. So they had several procedures done to keep her at around her current size forever.

What is Vatnajökull?

What type of South American animal (scientifically: Camponotus saundersi) is known for approaching enemies and then blowing itself up in battle?

From 1994-1996, something very strange was happening in Japanese politics. What was it?

Young people voted?

What is the name of the major Quebec separatist party, which the current Governor General of Canada is a member of?

Cheez-Its are made by Sunshine Biscuits LLC which is owned by what larger corporation?

America The Book

The bombardier beetle?

Loya Jurga

India

America The Book

Hmm, interesting. You have the wrong book, but the right author....

The bombardier beetle?

Sorry I missed this one earlier, no. Though all I'm looking for is the type of animal, I don't think it has a more colloquial name.

Loya Jurga

or Jirga, correct.

India

Yep, but already taken.

On another note, all but three of the outstanding questions are mine; I like answering too...

What is Vatnajökull? (Saying where it is will also be sufficient)

What type of South American animal (scientifically: Camponotus saundersi) is known for approaching enemies and then blowing itself up in battle?

Cheez-Its are made by Sunshine Biscuits LLC which is owned by what larger corporation?

Both the youngest and the oldest Nobel Laureate won the same prize (although 87 years apart), which prize?

What is Vatnajökull?

Young people voted?

Perhaps, but what I have in mind is different.

Bloc Quebecois (at the federal level), Parti Quebecois (at the provincial level).

I'll go with Unilever.

What is a Commonwealth Realm?

Name the corporation that gave rise to the term "banana republic."

What does the second-largest steel company in India have in common with Queen?

For the questin about the debater who won all 3 tournaments, a few hints.

He didnt do them all in the same year. And it was done withing the modern era.

Also, I think Dole thought up the term "banana republic".

Where would you find the Kansas City Scouts/Colorado Rockies today?

Where would you find the Kansas City Scouts/Colorado Rockies today?
East Rutherford, New Jersey. They are the New Jersey Devils (although they basically don't count any of their KC/Colorado history as "official")...

Ah, Wilf Paiement...those were the days...NOT! It was, however, fun to see the Scouts playing the Canadiens, the Flyers, the Bruins, etc. Hockey fans DID get to see some good players...just none of them wearing a Scouts uniform! ;)

I'll go with Unilever.
Nope

What is Vatnajökull? (Saying where it is would also be sufficient)

Found in South America, what type of animal (scientifically: Camponotus saundersi) is known for approaching enemies and then blowing itself up in battle?

Cheez-Its are made by Sunshine Biscuits LLC which is owned by what better-known corporation?

Both the youngest and the oldest Nobel Laureate won the same prize (although 87 years apart), which prize?

What is a Commonwealth Realm?

A former colony of the UK that is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations (incl. Canada, Australia, India...)

Name the corporation that gave rise to the term "banana republic."

Well, Gap owns the clothier by that name...

What does the second-largest steel company in India have in common with Queen?

Is that Queen the band, or the Queen as in QE2?

Bloc Quebecois (at the federal level), Parti Quebecois (at the provincial level).

Correct, though technically the Parti Quebecois and the Bloc are entirely separate parties. It just happens that the Bloc is only a federal party and the Parti only operates at the provincial level and most people hold membership in both.