neural link

Trivia thread REDUX.

What 14,000-foot Colorado peak is known for its fourteen false summits?
I think this one goes beyond "trivial." There are, what, 40 or 50 peaks in Colorado that high or higher? Furthermore, EVERY mountain has false summits; what's so special about the number 14? As for "known for its fourteen false summits," I lived in Colorado and Wyoming for many years, and never heard anything like this...

i'll wager two furhter guesses then, based on the number. "the 14,000 ft. peak" and "15th peak"

How much does Multi-Quote Rock?

phi?
Correct. Also known as the "Golden Ratio".
nor?
No, the answer has two vowels and can refer to a failed political idea, a sports stat, or even a large period.

In American crosswords, what is the most common three-letter answer?

Which Division I-A football coach holds the record for winning percentage (minimum 100 career victories), and where did/does he coach?

EPCOT (the Disney park) is an acronym; what does it stand for?

Which pharmaceuticals giant shocked the major TV networks last year by refusing to buy advertising during the so-called "upfronts", before shows had demonstrated viewership?

What group did Andre Young, Eric Wright, and O' Shea Jackson form?

Although not a kindgom in practice, which Latin American nation held that title until 1818, when it gained independence from Spain?

No, the answer has two vowels and can refer to a failed political idea, a sports stat, or even a large period.
ERA (although "large period" is a badly-worded clue)...

Speaking of which, what is the highest ERA ever posted by a Cy Young Award winner? Who posted it? What is the lowest ERA ever posted by a Cy Young Award winner? Who posted it?

As long as I'm at it:

What one thing do all the Win/Loss records of the American League and National League Cy Young winners since 1996 have in common?

What is the lowest ERA ever posted by a Cy Young Award winner? Who posted it?

Bob Gibson, the year his ERA was just a little over 1?

According to the National Parks Service, which is the largest National Park (in area)? The smallest?

Bob Gibson, the year his ERA was just a little over 1?
Nope. Gibson's ERA in 1968 was 1.12, which is only the third-lowest ever. Surprisingly, the record for lowest ERA by a Cy Young winner is held by an American League pitcher, which is even more impressive when you consider that the DH adds about .50 to a pitcher's ERA...

Based on the hints, era?
Correct. I've seen it used in clues for the Equal Rights Amendment, Earned Run Average, and Era (historical period). It is the most-common answer in American crosswords occuring in about 7.4% of major puzzles. AREA is 2nd and ERASE is the most-common five letter answer.

ERA (although "large period" is a badly-worded clue)...
Well, none of them were meant to be much help by themselves.

Which Division I-A football coach holds the record for winning percentage (minimum 100 career victories), and where did/does he coach?

EPCOT (the Disney park) is an acronym; what does it stand for?

Which pharmaceuticals and household products giant shocked the major TV networks last year by refusing to buy advertising during the so-called "upfronts", before shows had demonstrated viewership?

Although not a "kindgom" in practice, which Latin American nation held that title until 1818, when it gained independence from Spain?

What is the highest ERA ever posted by a Cy Young Award winner? Who posted it? What is the lowest ERA ever posted by a Cy Young Award winner? Who posted it?

What one thing do all the Win/Loss records of the American League and National League Cy Young winners since 1996 have in common?

The wins outnumber the losses.

According to the National Parks Service, which is the largest National Park (in area)? The smallest?

Yosemete (large), The White House (small) (it has Park Police patrolling its grounds...)

Among pitchers with zero Cy Young awards, which one has the most career wins?

A dispute over what movie led George Lucas to quit the Directors Guild of America? Bonus "points" (since we don't seem to be using those in the Redux) if you also identify what the nature of the dispute was.

The Chicago Times once wrote the following: "The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly, flat and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."

To which president was the Times referring?

Which playwright famously remarked that if the audience sees a gun in Act I, they expect it to be fired by the end of the play?

By what name is Shawn Carter better known?

I think this one goes beyond "trivial." There are, what, 40 or 50 peaks in Colorado that high or higher? Furthermore, EVERY mountain has false summits; what's so special about the number 14? As for "known for its fourteen false summits," I lived in Colorado and Wyoming for many years, and never heard anything like this...
i'll wager two furhter guesses then, based on the number. "the 14,000 ft. peak" and "15th peak"
Sunshine Peak
No, no, and no. I thought someone would pick up on Mt. Wilson's 14 points... it wasn't meant to be a question about mountaineering. Allow me to apologize... I wasn't trying to be smartass.

No, no, and no. I thought someone would pick up on Mt. Wilson's 14 points... it wasn't meant to be a question about mountaineering.

Hmm, never heard of that peak. And wouldn't have made the link even if I had. Oh well.

The wins outnumber the losses.

Nope. Eric Gagne of the Dodgers had a 2-3 record when he won the award in 2003. The correct answer is: All of the winners in both leagues since 1996 have had fewer than 30 total decisions. 1996 was the last year either Cy Young winner had at least 30, and in fact both the AL winner (Pat Hentgen, 20-10) and the NL winner (John Smoltz, 24-8) made it.

Forget ever seeing a 30-game winner in your lifetime; unless something changes drastically, the best pitchers in either league won't typically even have that many total decisions, much less wins...

Paterno? Penn State.

Or Bowden.

Study your tapes of NWA.

The Chicago Times once wrote the following: "The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly, flat and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."

To which president was the Times referring?

Lincoln.

Which playwright famously remarked that if the audience sees a gun in Act I, they expect it to be fired by the end of the play?

Either Chekhov or Wilde.

By what name is Shawn Carter better known?

Jay Z.

• Upvote 1

Yosemete (large), The White House (small) (it has Park Police patrolling its grounds...)

I'm sorry, that's incorrect.

Largest = Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve, Alaska - l3.2 million acres

Smallest = Thaddeus Kosciuszko National Memorial, Pennsylvania - 0.02 acres

I don't remember if Tom Glavine won the Cy Young award so I'll guess him. I'm probally wrong.

Largest = Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve, Alaska - l3.2 million acres

Smallest = Thaddeus Kosciuszko National Memorial, Pennsylvania - 0.02 acres

That is correct.

I'm assuming we are limiting this to the time since the award has been given, thus eliminating people like Cy Young, Walter Johnson or Pud Galvin. So I'm going to guess one of those guys who pitched for a long time with a mediocre won/loss record, like Phil Niekro.

What was the first book published in English?

According to the WTO, what is Brazil's largest export (in terms of value)?