Sign in to follow this  
RobOwens

Time For Forensics Again?

:D Well its the holiday break and that means its time for my annual post on C-X.com. For those of you who are new to the site, this is my general invitation to any and everyone for the Washburn Rural Forensics Tournament. The tournament is on January 27, 2007. Invitations have been mailed but invariably I miss someone, so here is the public invitation to everyone. We are a week earlier than previous years. This is to see if we can generate more than some regional interest in the tournament.

Speaking of interest, SPORTS EXTEMP will again be offered. The event is growing in popularity and the competition is getting more intense. If it gets big enough maybe KSHSAA will make it an event........um,.....er,..... well,....I can hope can't I?

There are a couple of changes this year.

1. There will not be any Friday events this year. Why? A) no one wants to debate the LD resolution for one tournament and then start all over when the "real topic" is released the next week. B) It is the week right after debate State Championships and congress is not real high on folk's priorities that week. Sorry Derek but that has been the opinion of the community, not mine. and C) That leaves PFD and really......c'mon.

2. We are offering a Novice division in Extemp only. Previously we had offered novice divisions in other events but the entries were so low that I have decided to not offer those.

We hope to see all of you there! If your squad did not receive an invitation please have your coach call me or email me and I will make it happen.

Rob Owens

Forensics/ Speech/ Technical Theater

Washburn Rural High School

Topeka, Kansas

Aw, no Congress? Despite lack of preperation, I always looked foward to Washburn Rural congress...

every year i read this post hoping that SPORTS EXTEMP will be a true "open" event like the Heart this year. i think that the entries would be amazing.

• Downvote 1

every year i read this post hoping that SPORTS EXTEMP will be a true "open" event like the Heart this year. i think that the entries would be amazing.

hhmmmmmmmmmm..................very intriguing idea..........

It isn't hard to prepare for congress. Release the congress packets early, and kids can work on them during the forensics class. There's no real reason why it would interfer with policy debate. Same for LD as well.

PFD... well, I don't see anyone complaining that it's missing. I'll give WaRu props on that.

HERE'S question cuzz i know that two draw events can really screw with tab. I'm wondering if i could do sports extemp and domestic extempt?

The only tournament I've ever been to that allowed double-draw events was the Flint Hills NFL qualifyer.

It's generally not allowed.

The only tournament I've ever been to that allowed double-draw events was the Flint Hills NFL qualifyer.

It's generally not allowed.

Someone did EXT and IDA at Silver Lakes forensics tournament last year. Don't ask me how it happened. I know it wouldn't have been allowed if Naylor would've known before the middle of second round, when the girl had to draw for both events at the same time.

Someone from Topeka West did EXT and IDA at Silver Lakes forensics tournament last year. Don't ask me how it happened. I know it wouldn't have been allowed if Naylor would've known before the middle of second round, when the girl had to draw for both events at the same time.

What a rebel.

If the KS forensics community has come to the conclusion that students can't use a month of forensics class to prepare for Stuco, I doubt anybody has the inelligence to organize a tab to allow people to double-enter draw events. :rolleyes:

If the KS forensics community has come to the conclusion that students can't use a month of forensics class to prepare for Stuco, I doubt anybody has the inelligence to organize a tab to allow people to double-enter draw events. :rolleyes:

Very bold to insult the intelligence of the coaching community.

But I don't think it is an intelligence issue, I think it's a "pain in the ass" issue.

And what is stopping Highland Park from hosting congress the Friday of WaRu's tourney? You got a month of forensics class to prepare.

• Downvote 1

I might have to emerge out of my sulking due to a lack of policy debate second semester, just long enough to try this sports extemp. :)

For you, it is some combination of waking up and figuring out what the leg is, and then speaking.

Haha you've been in my chambers before I think. Half the time I ask people for a copy of the leg when I get in there.

I don't know if I've been in your chambers. Maybe once? Being in your chamber or not I still know you, and that's enough to know that's how you roll.

The deskboy plans on doing "extempt". If he is lucky enough, he'll go to State Champs.

State champs is great! Last year, we had excellent food and a special prep. room for the acting kids. Since you're a fan of prep. time, maybe you'll clock the performances to make sure they don't go over.

i'm totally doing sports extemp

Sports Illustrated is my tub.

bring it on.

Arghh!! I lied. I will not be going to WaRu, instead I will be in Colorado ripping up the slopes.

Just remember, if I were there SX would be mine!!!!