TempusMoriendi

Peace Corps Teacher Case?

substantially T is a true argument here. this increase isn't substantial under any reasonable interpretation, and the national violation is weak.

plus, pepsi's violation is obviously flawed because space corps is, like, soo topical.

I don't want to talk about that round and substantial.

hahahahah. shouldn't have gone there, man... the only T frontline i've written for that case is substantial.

on topic, since it's been brought up..

search terms "wage exploitation". run spending disad to hold them to the 1000 dolla per native link. wait til they 'link turn' it. then run all the stuff about wage exploitation. you don't even have to take it to racism; that's just one route to go. it easily turns back all of case. at least, the african one.

I was trying, that was the only T we had for that case. I wasn't going to run extra-T that is evil. You had a lot of affs and you chose that one. I said I hate coast guard. Why didn't you run that?

yeah. hell, the new strategy for the natives case should be counterplan: weaponize space.

net beneficial through politics maybe. thoughts?

I googled wage exploitation, and I could only find one decet card. It just talks about US taxes. They can argue they won't get taxed, but that doesn't make any sense, since they are being payed by an American organization. They are going to most likely say, that these people aren't American citizens. That establishes policies. Not one, but more than one.

• Downvote 1

When I went against this case, it was like this:

Aff is gonna hire African teachers to teach African students in their native languages, and this is good because we'll educate students and increase stablilty in Africa and education will help prevent AIDS... and thats all the advantages I remember. We were unprepared and ended up running a rape DA and other generic Peace Corp neg stuff.

It seems like the big topicality issue with this case is that

A) apparently the Peace Corps can hire people who are therefore not volunteers (obviously they have desk jobs like any other government organization).

B) there's no rule saying these people must be US citizens so

C) The number of people in the PC is being increased, and the aff can read evidence saying how many people they're adding and prove it substantial if they want to, and the resolution just says "persons" and doesn't say what nationality.

So topicality is hard to argue if the aff is on top of things.

What I'm wondering is, are there any good existing CPs or DAs that could be run against this?

Could you argue that native languages are bad?

I've heard of this, and I am wondering if anyone else has seen it. It's a case that recruits African teachers and teaches them African languages. The case spikes out of everything by:

1.) Not recruiting these people as American Citizens, since they Fiat not only that the plan will pass but also they change a policy within their policy. You have to be an American citizen to be a Peace Corps member. They "think" that they can spike out of soft power this way... I can see a strong argument otherwise. I find this hideously abusive. I mean, when you Fiat, you go through the status quo, and you can't change the system as you Fiat. I mean, for example, when your plan passes, you can't say, "Oh, well Bush is first going to Veto the plan and then the Congress will pass it with a 2/3 majority." The only point in that would be to spike out of Politics. Likewise, I see this only as "trying" to spike out of Soft Power, and trying to spike out of a Citizenship Kritique such as Cosmopolitanism or something of the sort. I may be incorrect, since I have only heard about this case, but I hear it truly does spike out of tons of stuff.

2.) Changing, or "Establishing" salaries to $1,000.00 instead of the usual $27,5000.00 for a peace corps volunteers. I suppose this is ok, since each members' salary varies, but the fact that, you have to clarify everything, such as the citizenship issue AND the salary issue during cross-x makes it a strange case. I know the Affirmative rserves the right to clarify, but this is pushing it. Soon we'll be having to clarify what day the plan passes so they can turn some religious Kritique with a Sabath advantage.

With one hand, they spike out of soft power by not claiming these people as citizens, and with the other, they spike out of economy disadvantages. Soft power, with a lay judge, will be easy to simplify with for the Affirmative.

I don't even see how teachers should be going through the peace corps, wouldn't learn and serve be better? Maybe you use the Peace Corps because it's foreign, but the Peace Corps doesn't have a job to teach languages? Maybe that just proves their inherency.

I may be a little off with this case, but that is wha I have heard. Anyone care to help me out and clarify

gap inherency bad...heh

heh. we actually only just got to 8 others. at the time we had 5 others.

and, i swear by afrocentric education, this is not a substantial increase at all.

and, i'm gonna find the cites for that wage exploitation stuff. just lemme get my tubs tomorrow.

do they actually have evidence saying the teachers would join?

To anwser your question, NO. I run this aff. I am a novice but dam people, I dont understand why other novices are so stupid. The most my partner and I run into is that P.C.V's rape people. I get a little bit of solvency but all I have to read is a card taht says people come to work if money is put out. Its rideclious but judges love helping starving childern.

The PC spreads AIDS to, so you lose that advantage. I'd just roll with Development w/Militarism (Imperialism link...) The PC case cannot answer this K...Teachers are even more developmental in their mindset...

Also, hege is bad (lose SP)...What do you have left?

But this case isn't really about people "joining" the PC.

They're hiring teachers, if I'm interpreting this right.

Check out this link:

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=pchq.jobs.workingpc.eligibility

To WORK (as in get paid) for the PC in a host country you can be a citizen of that country.

So this means that you're still increasing the number of people in the Peace Corps (but maybe you could hit them with T on "serving" since the issue is whether getting paid counts as serving or not).

In the version I've seen (IDK if there are other versions) they hire people who speak the native languages to teach- I'm assuming that's Africans.

In the version I've seen (IDK if there are other versions) they hire people who speak the native languages to teach- I'm assuming that's Africans.

I think that is the same as the version around here. But I am not completely certain.

How the hell do the PC volunteers learn the african languages too? Do they hire africans to teach them, or africans to do all the teaching?

the few that i've seen, say that everything will be done by the native african people. American pc volunteers won't have anything to do with it.

You could potentially run a T saying they change the definition of peace corps to allow non-american's.

actually they don't because, the peace corps does hire people in the host countries, so that T wouldn't work.

The case that I've seen replaces peace corps entirely with native language teachers.

well then they would apply. so do you mean that they said that they were getting rid of every american in the other countries and replacing them or something?

Yes. It was a novice case though and I think they got confused on plan, their teams varsity version hired only native language from now on but kept around current Peace Corps Americans.