miner

Michigan Case List (All Varsity Divisions)

Dakota runs Women in Combat and FHC outsources combat operations to OCP.

Or not.

Who knows - this thread might be up for moments before it gets nuked.

Who knows - this thread might be up for moments before it gets nuked.

...or at least rolled in with the other mole of threads on this topic so far.

Also, for the record, here's what's been alleged so far as arranged by the MIFA list Orion posted. I've also edited it into the first post in this thread, and I'll update it as new info comes in. The citation in parentheses links the the post where the information was originally given.

<see the list in the first post>

• Upvote 1

http://www.themifa.org/docs/state_debate_tournament/Schools_Participating.pdf

Updated 01/23/2007

Not sure where your intel is coming from at this point that they are in D3...

East Grand Rapids is division 2 -- the MIFA division information is incorrect. The MIFA division information is also incomplete -- East Lansing is not listed in any division. When you pay MIFA 600 dollars to to enter the tournament, you would think that they would at least get the division information correct.

Having 3 separate divisions doesn't make sense. I understand the need to protect small schools, but... Why can't there be open prelims and break-outs for elims?

Everyone debates in an open division for prelims -- Eliminates all of the confusion about who is in what division. Some schools don't show up to states or their numbers change or they bid up and everyone gets confused.

Top 8 teams Debate in D1 Championship

If you are D2 and didn't make the D1 Clearance, you clear as long as you are one of the best 8 remaining D2 schools. You debate for the Division 2 championship.

If you are in D3, didn't clear in D1 or D2, you clear as long as you are one of the best 8 remaining D3 schools. You debate for the Division 3 championship.

• Upvote 1

East Grand Rapids is division 2 -- the MIFA division information is incorrect. The MIFA division information is also incomplete -- East Lansing is not listed in any division. When you pay MIFA 600 dollars to to enter the tournament, you would think that they would at least get the division information correct.

Having 3 separate divisions doesn't make sense. I understand the need to protect small schools, but... Why can't there be open prelims and break-outs for elims?

Everyone debates in an open division for prelims -- Eliminates all of the confusion about who is in what division. Some schools don't show up to states or their numbers change or they bid up and everyone gets confused.

Top 8 teams Debate in D1 Championship

If you are D2 and didn't make the D1 Clearance, you clear as long as you are one of the best 8 remaining D2 schools. You debate for the Division 2 championship.

If you are in D3, didn't clear in D1 or D2, you clear as long as you are one of the best 8 remaining D3 schools. You debate for the Division 3 championship.

That's actually a pretty fresh idea, Joe. I don't know how much traction that would get amongst people who would like to pretend that the different division championships are "equal," and Brother Rice might still complain. Still, it's a step above a straight up "split by quality" approach where the top 24 schools would get chances at the 3 championships. I suppose there's the issue of protecting smaller programs from debates against Groves, but at that kind of size power pairing wouldn't be nearly the bracket-breaker that it is now. 2 judges per round still generate some issues with that, but it seems to me that it would open up more options. And power pairing allows those angry about debating Groves in round 1 to be much happier debating Manton or Elk Rapids in round 5.