jdmarriott88

BLACKSNAKE JUDGES

okay, as we ALL know eastern idaho has always been known for comms judges... so i plead that whomever brings judges please bring somone who will allow us to debate more western style. Tab judges and Policy Makers would be widely appreciated among certain Eastern teams...

okay, as we ALL know eastern idaho has always been known for comms judges... so i plead that whomever brings judges please bring somone who will allow us to debate more western style. Tab judges and Policy Makers would be widely appreciated among certain Eastern teams...

Jake, it doesnt matter what judges you get, im still going to beat you.

I'll be there judging for IFHS. I'm glad to see T. Walker will be there, too. That makes at least one face I'll be vaguely familiar with.

I'm not sure if you want a paradigm, and to be honest, I haven't thought about mine in about a year, but since this is a judges thread, I'll throw some stuff out. More detailed paradigms will be given in round.

I did two years of policy debate in HS, and one year of judging HS debate in college. Its safe to say I know what's going on in a round. The only caveat to that is that I haven't judged since the Gonzaga tournament 2 years ago, and I am somewhat unfamiliar with this year's topic. That should present no significant obstacle, however.

Paradigm:

Basically tabs. Run whatever the hell you want to run. I love kritiks, particularly well-run kritiks. If you're not comfortable with Ks, I love DAs. I don't know why, but I love T debates. I'm not great on the CP debate, but (no offense intended), I'm sure I can handle eastern-Idaho-level CP debates on the flow. If you've got other shit you want to run, theory, performance, or any crazy stuff I haven't heard of, go for it. I'm cool with whatever. Have fun with the round.

I say the following keeping in mind that I hate ID-style debate:

1) Please, speed all you want/can. I promise I can handle it. If I can't, I'll yell "slow."

2) Don't do 8 minutes on-case (I mean, you can, and I'll vote on it, but it'll be torturous in the meantime). I implore you to jazz things up with some off-case.

3) COLLAPSE. All too often Idaho teams go for everything in the final rebuttal, undercovering everything and ruining an otherwise awesome debate. Answer any offense and kick out of your weaker arguments, instead emphasizing in the last debate the arguments you're winning.

4) Impact calculus. This doesn't mean "we win the S flow." It means you explain to me the magnitude, probability, and time-frame of your impacts and explain why they outweigh any of your opponents' offensive args.

Most of that probably didn't need saying. But when I debated in Eastern Idaho, I often wished somebody would have said these things. Many rounds would have been more interesting/productive.

I might be there on the sixth.

Are ISU debators going to be judging?

Also, we're sending mommys and daddys. Our coach is stupid and just piles everything with as many people as possible, it's ridiculous. Stan Bessey volunteered to judge and our coach said "No." Because Stan has a life and hasn't had time to introduce himself yet. It's bullshit.

I HOPE SO TOO...Paul judged me at ALTA...i pray for decent judges. Travis, Kirk (judged me at WFI i think), and Paul. We're bringin some legit judges. Martha, Mike Smith, etc. Will all be judging. Old Eastern ID debaters but they understand everything, judged at alta, like speed, etc. So you'll be ok. I just hope we get a good pool.

yes yes yes yes yes!!! that makes me happy, i just desperately want to have GOOD DEBATES, in front of judges who understand policy debate to a greater extent than coming straight from a judging clinic. good judges = good debate

okay, i'd just like to thank every one of the judges who made the judge pool this year awesome. from my perspective it was perfect. at leat for the Judging pool, i didnt get a judge that said a single thing about stock issues or communication until out sems, which was a dissapointment, but it happens. so thank you to all the judges for making it an amazing tourney...