blikebecks23

Maverick in TFA?

There's a chance I might have to go maverick at a tournament this weekend.

Does anyone know if the decision to allow mavericks is up to the tournament director or is it outlined in the TFA rules? If the former, what are some reasons for a tournament director to prohibit maverick competitors?

From what I know, I think that if you go Maverick, you can still get the points and wins/losses, etc. However, you won't be advanced or break prelims. That's all I know. I haven't heard of a tournament allowing you to go further than prelims even if you had the requirements going maverick.

A few weeks ago we had a debater who had to go maverick at the Round Rock tournament. The way it worked out (I think) is that you aren't allowed to enter as maverick in a TFA tournament (although you can become maverick if your partner doesn't show up on saturday), so they put him in the novice part of the tournament, and every round he was in regardless of the judge's decision was considered a loss for him.

So, at best, you'll debate normal and break. At worst you'll be forced to go 0-4 in novice and be made fun of endlessly by the rest of your team.

I won a UIL tournament going maverick...but that's because UIL is a joke. TFA would be difficult by yourself. I think the folks above are right. You can probably compete but you won't be able to break.

The TFA Constitution stipulates a policy team consists of two people. Any more or less means a loss.

The director of a TFA invitational qualifying tournament may, in her or his discretion, permit a maverick to compete. However, it's just for practice: the maverick must be given a loss and the opponents must be given a win (it's treated as a bye). As stated earlier, the TFA Constitution defines a team in policy debate as two people.

As far as "maverick" competition at a "UIL" tournament is concerned: So-called "UIL" invitational tournaments are not governed by UIL. Directors of those tournaments can do anything they want. The only tournaments sanctioned & governed by UIL are the spring district, region and state tournaments. In CX, UIL defines a team as having two people. You can't compete as a maverick at the UIL district or state tournaments.

The director of a TFA invitational qualifying tournament may, in her or his discretion, permit a maverick to compete. However, it's just for practice: the maverick must be given a loss and the opponents must be given a win (it's treated as a bye). As stated earlier, the TFA Constitution defines a team in policy debate as two people.

As far as "maverick" competition at a "UIL" tournament is concerned: So-called "UIL" invitational tournaments are not governed by UIL. Directors of those tournaments can do anything they want. The only tournaments sanctioned & governed by UIL are the spring district, region and state tournaments. In CX, UIL defines a team as having two people. You can't compete as a maverick at the UIL district or state tournaments.

why do you have "UIL" in quotes?

• Downvote 1

why do you have "UIL" in quotes?

Because these so-called "UIL" invitational tournaments are not sponsored by the UIL. The UIL actually sponsors only the district and state CX debate meets (plus the district, region and state academic meets). UIL has nothing to do with invitational meets. So, if something goes wrong at an invitational meet, you can't appeal to UIL for help.

"UIL" is a way a tournament can self-identify to potential attendees. It implies a distinctive group of attributes that separate UIL from other flavors of Texas forensics...

Many years ago (before TFA had a specific rule on it) there was a really good debater at a Dallas-area school who was always in need of a competent partner. They would enter the tournament and wait until Rd 1 pairings went up. The "good" debater would go to the tournament director and say that his partner was REALLY sick, throwing up in the bathroom, etc. He would then "offer" to debate maverick "just so the tournament didn't have to re-pair at the last minute (way before computer systems to do that). If the director agreed, this kid would clean up...he was very good. If the director said no, then the "sick" partner would make a MIRACULOUS recovery and they would go ahead and debate as a team.

It got to be almost predictable..............

It was Christine Tian, wasn't it.

haha.... my first return to this site in five(?) months and this is basically the first thing I see.

Soren, you're right. I AM a debate urban legend.

And by urban legend I mean quitter.

It was Christine Tian, wasn't it.

No; this was in the mid 1970s, and the person in question is now a college debate coach

:)

(that is, however, the last time I will confirm or deny who the person is.....kinda like Bob Woodward's loyalty to Deep Throat......*L*)

No; this was in the mid 1970s, and the person in question is now a college debate coach

:)

(that is, however, the last time I will confirm or deny who the person is.....kinda like Bob Woodward's loyalty to Deep Throat......*L*)

Close, but no cigar.

When is your tournament? I'm actually at TU now, and would love to judge some in the area. Do you know of any places to get plugged in?