MSTR DB8R

Underview vs. Overview

An underview is the term for when a debater has time at the end of his/her speech and he/she sums up what he/she just said. Overviews are more efficient/effective, underviews just annoy judges.

An underview is the term for when a debater has time at the end of his/her speech and he/she sums up what he/she just said. Overviews are more efficient/effective, underviews just annoy judges.

so they're just a summary of the speech?

btw, I know what an overview is :)

so they're just a summary of the speech?

btw, I know what an overview is :)

At camp they used to paddle us if we did an underview, they said we should just sit down.

Underviews are generally considered a waste of time and energy. Just have an overview and manage your time.

so true!!!!!!!!

I disagree with most of what's been said here. I prefer underviews to overviews. Probably for the same reason I prefer indirect theses in my essays.

It's probably just a personal style choice in the end. I like to end strong with all of the reasons to vote for my side as the last thing I say. I go line by line on everything I'm going for and then underview everything and how it works in the context of the round.

What I would caution you on though, is not to do both. Choose one, and use it as your summary, but don't do both. That's what's going to end up annoying judges.

Ant

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

At camp they used to paddle us if we did an underview, they said we should just sit down.

Sounds just like what my camp leader told me (corey) :P

I use underviews as a pre-emption in my 1AC. For ex, what I do is say: Obs 3, the underview, we take a realistic interpretation of the world, there are objective threats. We use the pragmtic option etc etc etc, read 4 prag cards. I dont think thats necessarily an underview but its what I called it :P

i agree

Sounds just like what my camp leader told me (corey) :P

I use underviews as a pre-emption in my 1AC. For ex, what I do is say: Obs 3, the underview, we take a realistic interpretation of the world, there are objective threats. We use the pragmtic option etc etc etc, read 4 prag cards. I dont think thats necessarily an underview but its what I called it :P

That is the only case in which an underview is justified. Though you could just as easily call it a framework to avoid the associated stigma with underview.

That is the only case in which an underview is justified. Though you could just as easily call it a framework to avoid the associated stigma with underview.

jackpot

alot of people get stuck making underviews at the end of their speech cause they have extra time and just start ramballing. realize at this point, the other team is probably not even flowing and more then likely already prepping for their speech. my wise friend once said

"overview and underviews, are like a strip teases. you wanna show them a little bit to get them interested beforehand because afterwards, its just annoying."

As a judge (and coach) I prefer overviews to underviews. It's like a thesis statement, see what happens if you turn your papers in without one to any teacher worth their salt. At the end, it's sort of just, well, Jordan said it correctly. It isn't just that the other team is no longer flowing, but I bet your judge isn't either.

underviews are just plain inefficient - it just means that u're trying to waste time - which judges hate - so just don't evn do it - and overviews should not be any longer than 45 seconds (unless its a k judge that wants u to explain every piece of evidence in u're 2NR u've read in the round) but overviews are great - so ya

I'm not going to object to a ONE sentence max underview summarizing your stance at the end of a rebuttal. That's about it, though. I get super annoyed by debaters who just waste time at the end of their speeches because, as everyone else has said, you're just giving the other team prep time and bugging the judge.