imaginary_love

good southern california schools?

so there is a really good chance that we move out there to laguna and well I need a school with debate. what are some that are on the circuit since no one responded in the like pacific thread

• Upvote 1

The big debate school around there is Damien, but it's all guys. I don't really know of any schools that consistently have successful travel teams (I debated in socal freshman and sophomore year.)

Good luck, though.

Well it depends on where in socal, if LA area then you proably have some pretty good choices.

The schools listed above (loyola damien etc) are LAish schools.

It really depends on what type of debate program your looking for, one with lots of coaches, one with ltos of nice people etc.

Fullerton Union isn't a huge debate school. They have a giant speech team, but only one or two actual debate teams.

Laguna.

Wow, well either way you go, any of the schools above are going to be major drives.

My best advice, is quit debate and learn to surf..

and are all of those schools coed? and what about schools near malibu?

um.. DAmien is all boys.

Notre dame is coed

you should try Chaminade. i think thats pretty close.

putting lcc, loyola and fullerton in the same sentence as damien and notre dame is a huuuuge insult... whoever you are (digital) go fuck yourself

By that logic you shouldn't be allowed on this forum because Stephen Weil Posts here. Learn Some Tolerance/Respect.

No Elliot. Your wrong. Because I have never, will never, compare myself to Stephen Weil. The original post compared Notre Dame and Damien to LCC, Fullerton, etc. That's simply not comparable.

pointless..

No Elliot. Your wrong. Because I have never, will never, compare myself to Stephen Weil. The original post compared Notre Dame and Damien to LCC, Fullerton, etc. That's simply not comparable.

this is totally unacceptable, which makes it really really really unacceptable since its coming from me, and i could usually care less about this type of thing. you need to get some serious perspective- what difference does it make? further, its pretty clear that original post was not trying to equate all of those schools in terms of debate ability... just that they all have programs where someone who wanted to debate in socal could be successful at.

seriously, relax.

I just finished my second SOCAL Tournament in two weeks and I talked to the debaters from Fullerton, La Costa and Loyola about this stuff. None of them were insulted to be mentioned in the same sentence as Notre Dame or Damien. In fact they all thought that Damien and Notre Dame were pretty good debate teams with really good coaches. Loyola felt that even though they were one of only like 60 schools to ever win NFL Nationals, have a new coach who was a really great debater, just hired one of last year's KY Fellows, a TOC 4 time bidder and Julia Burke Finalist to help them out and just missed a bid at USC. La Costa felt that even though they finished in the top 14 at NFL's last year, had the 10th speaker at NFL's and also have had multiple State Champions (one in Policy) and qualled 2 teams to NFL's last year. Fullerton felt that even though they qualled for the TOC last year, won Stanford, won pretty much every major novice or socal JV tourney and have had instruction from an NDT debater in Cameron Ward.

So, if you are coming to San Diego, you could not do better than LCC (or maybe St. Augustine), if you are coming to LA proper, and are male, then Loyola is GREAT. If you are coming to the OC (central area) Fullerton is really, really successful. If you are up near Malibu, then Notre Dame and Chaminade are just first rate schools and their Debate Programs are really great. If you go to a more inland east of LA area, then Damien would be a tremendous place to go to school. But there is NO REASON for anyone to diss either Damien or Notre Dame, or for that matter (and if that was your bidirectionally ambiguous and utterly juvenile intent), there is also NO REASON to diss Loyola, LCC or Fullerton. SUperfly has it right . . . unacceptable.

• Upvote 1

I just finished my second SOCAL Tournament in two weeks and I talked to the debaters from Fullerton, La Costa and Loyola about this stuff. None of them were insulted to be mentioned in the same sentence as Notre Dame or Damien. In fact they all thought that Damien and Notre Dame were pretty good debate teams with really good coaches. Loyola felt that even though they were one of only like 60 schools to ever win NFL Nationals, have a new coach who was a really great debater, just hired one of last year's KY Fellows, a TOC 4 time bidder and Julia Burke Finalist to help them out and just missed a bid at USC. La Costa felt that even though they finished in the top 14 at NFL's last year, had the 10th speaker at NFL's and also have had multiple State Champions (one in Policy) and qualled 2 teams to NFL's last year. Fullerton felt that even though they qualled for the TOC last year, won Stanford, won pretty much every major novice or socal JV tourney and have had instruction from an NDT debater in Cameron Ward.

So, if you are coming to San Diego, you could not do better than LCC (or maybe St. Augustine), if you are coming to LA proper, and are male, then Loyola is GREAT. If you are coming to the OC (central area) Fullerton is really, really successful. If you are up near Malibu, then Notre Dame and Chaminade are just first rate schools and their Debate Programs are really great. If you go to a more inland east of LA area, then Damien would be a tremendous place to go to school. But there is NO REASON for anyone to diss either Damien or Notre Dame, or for that matter (and if that was your bidirectionally ambiguous and utterly juvenile intent), there is also NO REASON to diss Loyola, LCC or Fullerton. SUperfly has it right . . . unacceptable.

Pretty sure he wasn't trying to diss Damien and Notre Dame.

La Costa felt that even though they finished in the top 14 at NFL's last year, had the 10th speaker at NFL's and also have had multiple State Champions (one in Policy) and qualled 2 teams to NFL's last year.

haha most kids at LCC are either afraid of bigger names like damien and Notre dame, would be proud to be mentioned in the same sentence as them, or would be so oblivious they couldnt tell what either school was

i really don't feel like arguing about something done, but just to answer back your offense, and then i'm done. [As in green with envy.]

Uh, were you done, are you done or will you please be done? There is and was no reason to “answer back” any offense. It is a jerk thing to think you should continue to defend the offensive comments you made about certain schools (Ya David, I got it, but your comment was really funny) by belittling or minimizing their success and dissing their: a) depth, B) style (as if you know what they do) and/or c) decisions (of BOTH partners (both Robin and Grace went to Institutes before their novice years, and neither had ever debated before they went to the institutes)) to go to Institutes before their novice year. You were done before you even started, and as your belated apology recognizes, deleting your initial idiotic post might be the better response to continuing to try to prove you have some small wannabe awareness about how circuit debate actually works.

1. Loyola has become much better with their A team this year. Proctor is doing very well. They have no depth on their team though.

1. Proctor AND Gibson (it’s a two person activity) are doing very well AGAIN this year.

2. Loyola had three Varsity teams at SC, a couple more at Damien (which was a GREAT tournament) and a bunch of young teams at USC and Damien.

3. They have new coaching and are really an up and coming SQUAD, with plenty of depth.

You just do not know what you are writing about. So stop.

2. LCC- Everything you talk about is either state or NFLs. State and NFLs are both slower debate tournaments. This is LCC style debate and I don't diss them for that, people just debate differently. But in terms of national circuit tournaments with speed, there isn't much success, YET. I don't diss them for being a new program, I just don't think their history proves them as a noteworthy team, like Notre Dame or Damien.

1. Empirically denied.

a. Let’ see Sherlock . . . NFL Champ last year was . . . Bellarmine GG (also the Cal State Champion as I recall) . . . the same Bellarmine GG who earned three TOC bids, had a 4-3 record at the TOC and also had a bid as juniors (and were Cal State Finalists as juniors, too).

b. NFL Champs the year before were . . . MBA close out (two TOC multi qualled teams and one TOC semi team. But, NFL just aint stylistically up to your standards.

c. NFL Champs the year before were . . . GBN . . . oh, and WTF did GBN ever do at the TOC that year, oh ya, another GBN team WON IT.

2. No Proof.

a. Cody did great at MSU last summer, was in the top 20 speaks at Long Beach and USC, is as fast, if not faster than . . . maybe you . . . based on how poorly you write, he sure seems a whole lot SMARTER than you are.

b. LCC is just starting to pop at TOC events, they broke at USC and lost a tough doubles round.

c. They’ll do really well at ASU, Redlands and watch out for LCC’s other teams this year and in years to come (they got lots of ‘em that will be heading to Institutes, as well, and a great coach, too).

3. No warrant.

a. Oh, they are NOT a new program, LCC has been a big time program for nearly 15 years.

b. “Noteworthy,” by whose definition . . . yours? Ho Ho Ho.

4. Perf Con.

“I don’t diss them for being a NEW program, I just don’t think their history proves them as a noteworthy team.

Dude, that IS dissing them for being a NEW program. Get your head out of your rear end and see the intellectual dishonesty of your apologia for what it really is . . . bitterness in triplicate.

3. Fullerton. Do you know that Damien's coach for the last two years was Josh Clark, Cameron Ward's college partner. Yes, they did go to the TOC last year. Great Job. But so did Notre Dame. When you are worked as hard as the Gray girls are, of course you'd be winning novice and jv tournaments. The little one went to camp before her novice year. That puts her at a bid advantage over other true novices. This is not meant as an insult to anyone, this is only meant to answer back offense. I hope none of the schools take this as insults. PM if you do.

1,2,&3. No Evidence, Empirically Denied & Gender Language K.

a. The “Gray girls” are no longer debating in HS. Kaitlin debates in college at Cal State Fullerton and Robin debates with Grace Lim still at Fullerton and they are a really, really good Soph team of “debaters,” not “girls.”

b. Learn some non-sexist lingo and get with the way REAL DEBATE really does work.

c. Fullerton has 3 or 4 teams, and a whole LOT of other former Fullerton HS Debaters are active in College Debate.

4. Turn the First.

a. Josh Clark was Cameron’s college partner. Josh coached Damien for 2 years and Cameron coached Fullerton for 2 years.

b. OK, so that proves your original Claim is valid, right? One could never dare to mention Fullerton and Damien in the same sentence because to do so would be (and how did you so eloquently put it?) “such a huuuuuuge insult . . .”

c. And, of course, answering back MY “offense” by demonstrating the comparative EQUALITY of the coaching staffs of the two schools leads inexorably to the conclusion that the two programs are hopelessly . . . incomparable, correct? Do you even debate?

5. Turn the Second.

a. They went to the TOC, but so did ND.

b. Once again, buckaroo, you impale your initial Claim with the inane attempt to “answer back” some alleged “offense.”

c. BOTH schools went to the TOC last year, so this means that it is a "huuuuge insult" to write about both schools in the same sentence. Have you ever debated?

Underview.

Look, Fullerton, LCC, and Loyola are three (of many) quality debate programs in SOCAL where it would be an honor for any student to transfer and have a really productive, quality debate experience. By mocking those programs and rudely telling another poster who just wanted to help inform a potential transfer to “go F## yourself,” you were more than over the line.

When you have nothing nice to say, say nothing. When you don’t know what you are talking about, stop talking. And to answer my initial set of questions, again, you were done before you ever started. Just stop your uneducated nonsense with the following post and simply go away: “I am very sorry if I offended anyone, especially the debaters, coaches and parents of students who debate for Fullerton, LCC and Loyola.”

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i really don't feel like arguing about something done, but just to answer back your offense, and then i'm done. [As in green with envy.]

Uh, were you done, are you done or will you please be done? There is and was no reason to “answer back” any offense. It is a jerk thing to think you should continue to defend the offensive comments you made about certain schools (Ya David, I got it, but your comment was really funny) by belittling or minimizing their success and dissing their: a) depth, B) style (as if you know what they do) and/or c) decisions (of BOTH partners (both Robin and Grace went to Institutes before their novice years, and neither had ever debated before they went to the institutes)) to go to Institutes before their novice year. You were done before you even started, and as your belated apology recognizes, deleting your initial idiotic post might be the better response to continuing to try to prove you have some small wannabe awareness about how circuit debate actually works.

1. Loyola has become much better with their A team this year. Proctor is doing very well. They have no depth on their team though.

1. Proctor AND Gibson (it’s a two person activity) are doing very well AGAIN this year.

2. Loyola had three Varsity teams at SC, a couple more at Damien (which was a GREAT tournament) and a bunch of young teams at USC and Damien.

3. They have new coaching and are really an up and coming SQUAD, with plenty of depth.

You just do not know what you are writing about. So stop.

2. LCC- Everything you talk about is either state or NFLs. State and NFLs are both slower debate tournaments. This is LCC style debate and I don't diss them for that, people just debate differently. But in terms of national circuit tournaments with speed, there isn't much success, YET. I don't diss them for being a new program, I just don't think their history proves them as a noteworthy team, like Notre Dame or Damien.

1. Empirically denied.

a. Let’ see Sherlock . . . NFL Champ last year was . . . Bellarmine GG (also the Cal State Champion as I recall) . . . the same Bellarmine GG who earned three TOC bids, had a 4-3 record at the TOC and also had a bid as juniors (and were Cal State Finalists as juniors, too).

b. NFL Champs the year before were . . . MBA close out (two TOC multi qualled teams and one TOC semi team. But, NFL just aint stylistically up to your standards.

c. NFL Champs the year before were . . . GBN . . . oh, and WTF did GBN ever do at the TOC that year, oh ya, another GBN team WON IT.

2. No Proof.

a. Cody did great at MSU last summer, was in the top 20 speaks at Long Beach and USC, is as fast, if not faster than . . . maybe you . . . based on how poorly you write, he sure seems a whole lot SMARTER than you are.

b. LCC is just starting to pop at TOC events, they broke at USC and lost a tough doubles round.

c. They’ll do really well at ASU, Redlands and watch out for LCC’s other teams this year and in years to come (they got lots of ‘em that will be heading to Institutes, as well, and a great coach, too).

3. No warrant.

a. Oh, they are NOT a new program, LCC has been a big time program for nearly 15 years.

4. Perf Con.

“I don’t diss them for being a NEW program, I just don’t think their history proves them as a noteworthy team.

Dude, that IS dissing them for being a NEW program. Get your head out of your rear end and see the intellectual dishonesty of your apologia for what it really is . . . bitterness in triplicate.

3. Fullerton. Do you know that Damien's coach for the last two years was Josh Clark, Cameron Ward's college partner. Yes, they did go to the TOC last year. Great Job. But so did Notre Dame. When you are worked as hard as the Gray girls are, of course you'd be winning novice and jv tournaments. The little one went to camp before her novice year. That puts her at a bid advantage over other true novices. This is not meant as an insult to anyone, this is only meant to answer back offense. I hope none of the schools take this as insults. PM if you do.

1,2,&3. No Evidence, Empirically Denied & Gender Language K.

a. The “Gray girls” are no longer debating in HS. Kaitlin debates in college at Cal State Fullerton and Robin debates with Grace Lim still at Fullerton and they are a really, really good Soph team of “debaters,” not “girls.”

b. Learn some non-sexist lingo and get with the way REAL DEBATE really does work.

c. Fullerton has 3 or 4 teams, and a whole LOT of other former Fullerton HS Debaters are active in College Debate.

4. Turn the First.

a. Josh Clark was Cameron’s college partner. Josh coached Damien for 2 years and Cameron coached Fullerton for 2 years.

b. OK, so that proves your original Claim is valid, right? One could never dare to mention Fullerton and Damien in the same sentence because to do so would be (and how did you so eloquently put it?) “such a huuuuuuge insult . . .”

c. And, of course, answering back MY “offense” by demonstrating the comparative EQUALITY of the coaching staffs of the two schools leads inexorably to the conclusion that the two programs are hopelessly . . . incomparable, correct? Do you even debate?

5. Turn the Second.

a. They went to the TOC, but so did ND.

b. Once again, buckaroo, you impale your initial Claim with the inane attempt to “answer back” some alleged “offense.”

c. BOTH schools went to the TOC last year, so this means that it is a "huuuuge insult" to write about both schools in the same sentence. Have you ever debated?

Underview.

Look, Fullerton, LCC, and Loyola are three (of many) quality debate programs in SOCAL where it would be an honor for any student to transfer and have a really productive, quality debate experience. By mocking those programs and rudely telling another poster who just wanted to help inform a potential transfer to “go F## yourself,” you were more than over the line.

When you have nothing nice to say, say nothing. When you don’t know what you are talking about, stop talking. And to answer my initial set of questions, again, you were done before you ever started. Just stop your uneducated nonsense with the following post and simply go away: “I am very sorry if I offended anyone, especially the debaters, coaches and parents of students who debate for Fullerton, LCC and Loyola.”

This is one of the funniest and most devastating posts I have ever read on this site. Perhaps LG06 will follow its own advice regarding self pleasure. Clearly, self-stimulation would be better for LG06, and less painful, than taking it again where the sun don't shine, even in SOCAL.

Agree here with TOC. LG66 (not 06 TOC) just go away with the nasty comments about other schools' programs. As Suprafly sys it, unnecessary and inappropriate to bag on any of those schools.

hahaha... where is damien located compared to laguna.... and how far away is notre dame? and any other school around there.

Notre Dame and Damien are both private Catholic schools in north LA County. They are 50-70 miles from the "Lagunas" (there are several cities/communities in south Orange County with "Laguna" in their names: Laguna Beach, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, etc. all neighboring each other). Between Laguna and those two schools sits the heart of LA itself and its vast urban sprawl spanning both counties and beyond; we are talking bumper-to-bumper traffic on some of the most congested freeways in the nation. We just passed the renewal of measure M (funds freeway expansions) in the recent midterm elections, which means more traffic delays due to more construction before things get any better (if they ever do).

Within Orange County, Fullerton (much closer than the above) has the strongest policy debate team. It is a public school and Laguna is far from the borders of its school district, so I don't know if they will let you attend. Do you know exactly where you will be moving to yet? My coach tells me that they are looking for a new partner for Robin Gray. Mr. Gray, Robin and Caitlin's dad and a debate-fanatic himself, is an acting coach at Fullerton (their regular coach has been too busy campaigning for the last midterm). He pours thousands of dollars into their program, making them the most well funded program in the Orange County Speech League (OCSL). Maybe he can pull some strings for you? ;)

There isn't anything within the Lagunas themselves. The closest schools (all public) in south Orange County that I know have established forensics programs are Northwood in Irvine (most likely not in a neighboring district) and Rancho Santa Margarita (more likely to be in a nearby district, but we haven't heard from them this year).

At the southern end are La Costa Canyon (LCC), mentioned in this thread, and San Dieguito Academy, but they are in San Diego County. They are both in the same district, just not Laguna. Expect a bumper-to-bumper commute here too.

Since there may be restrictions on which schools you are allowed to attend based on which district your new home is in, I can give you more help once you have narrowed down where you will live.

1. Empirically denied.

2. No Proof.

3. No warrant.

4. Perf Con.

“I don’t diss them for being a NEW program, I just don’t think their history proves them as a noteworthy team.”

i WAS a debater for LCC for 3 1/2 years (now at Arizona) and i can tell you that we worked just as hard as any other circuit team out there. it sucks to be reading posts that say "lcc cant be compared to damien or notre dame" (chaminade as well considering they are close with notre dame). last time i checked, austin uhler and i faced all three of those teams in elimination rounds at many so cal tournaments. as well, in 2005, austin and i went 5-3 at berkeley as both 2nd year debaters in the open division beating teams like hooch, notre dame, and chaminade. as well, William Smelko (well respected lawyer, NDT finalists,coach of St. Augustine and father of the famous Billy Smelko) respects LCC at the highest level.

i would also like to give that same respect to San Dieguito Academy because they too have a well established program. we have had the honor to travel with them to many tournaments and often share debate advice when in need.

Rancho Bernardo as well.

i am sure wherever you decide to go, you will have a great debate experience.

i WAS a debater for LCC for 3 1/2 years (now at Arizona) and i can tell you that we worked just as hard as any other circuit team out there. it sucks to be reading posts that say "lcc cant be compared to damien or notre dame" (chaminade as well considering they are close with notre dame). last time i checked, austin uhler and i faced all three of those teams in elimination rounds at many so cal tournaments. as well, in 2005, austin and i went 5-3 at berkeley as both 2nd year debaters in the open division beating teams like hooch, notre dame, and chaminade. as well, William Smelko (well respected lawyer, NDT finalists,coach of St. Augustine and father of the famous Billy Smelko) respects LCC at the highest level.

i would also like to give that same respect to San Dieguito Academy because they too have a well established program. we have had the honor to travel with them to many tournaments and often share debate advice when in need.

Rancho Bernardo as well.

i am sure wherever you decide to go, you will have a great debate experience.

Hi Spike: A little birdie told me my name had been used in a raging battle concerning Southern California HS Debate. I hope you are studying and getting good grades, because in college, just like in HS, GRADES MATTER.

Notre Dame and Damien have produced some of the best debaters ever. A gentleman named Mike Miller from ND was on a University of Houston team that absolutely dominated college debate for two or three years, and his story about the trauma and tribulations concerning a loss in the NDT Finals to Harvard is absolutely one of the best things I have ever read about debate, and how it must be considered as a very good means to a hopefully productive series of ends in the life of a person. As for Damien, Mark Fabiani (White House Special Counsel to President Clinton), generally regarded as one of the top 10 of all time and John Miller, recently of Stanford Law School come to mind. This rich legacy of tradition is also available at Loyola, where Brian Bennet (who won NFL's before there was a TOC), remains in the minds of many as one of the best HS debaters ever.

I think that Mr. Chen is correct, geographically, Southern California is extremely broad ranging, but if someone is transfering here from outside of the state, District Boundaries, and attendance areas are an inevitable restriction on where a person can go to school as a pragmatic matter, and at which school one may possibly matriculate.

I also think that RJ and Essariel are correct, that to denigrate Loyola, LCC or Fullerton is not a really good thing to do, but free speech has its place, even in debate.

I echo your sentiments about LCC, what a GREAT person you all have for a coach at LCC, and what a whole LOT of work has been done, and success achieved at LCC, for many years past.

Special mention, too, for Fullerton HS. That program, like many in California where state funding has cut the heart out of great programs like speech and debate, is really well run and the success of the debaters there in HS and at the college level has been enormous. The Gray family, among many, deserve special recognition for what they have done to promote the

ACTIVITY at Fullerton.

I am biased, too, about Loyola, for a couple of reasons, not the least of which goes to the integrity he has shown and quality of person that Mr. Hernandez has exhibited since he arrived there.

My hope would be that instead of being negative about any program, people would help the person seeking to transfer find a spot where success at debate, and school and life can follow them. There are a whole host of places headed by quality teachers and parents (La Mirada, Cypress, Pasadena Poly [you are very much correct in that regard, Steven], Santa Ana, Long Beach Jordan, LA Jordan, Washington, Gabriolino, San Dieguito, Mark Keppel, John Bosco and Rancho Bernardo come to mind), and if a person WANTS to debate badly enough, the student driven examples of St. A's and Team Leah, stand out there giving hope to ANYBODY who wants to make the effort. I'd have been HONORED and PROUD to have my son or daughter debate at any of the schools mentioned above, or in these posts on this thread [or at many others in SOCAL that I have neglected to mention], and I wish the person coming to California the very best. Study Spike, and get off the internet.

in an attempt to reduce elitism and arrogance, let me just say that there are a number of good debate schools in the greater L.A. area. it's pointless to get all heated because NDHS or damien was insulted, or compared to LCC. let's all at least come to at least a grudging respect.

that being said, i somehow feel the need to add that polytechnic has a debate program, and it's in pasadena.

and just as a pre-empt, there's no need to start saying Polytechnic sucks, because i don't feel the need to "defend" anything.

ok wow. so we would be moving to the thousand oaks area. we will most likely be moving this coming summer, as in going into my senior year. how close are these schools to this area? I appreciate all of the feedback on the different schools...thanks!