bRubaie

College Debate Scholarships

Hey, anyone know about the scholarship situation at Whitman?

Yes. It is application based (based on your commitment/passion for debate). If you receive it, it covers all demonstrated need. You should e-mail Jim Hanson for further information.

As Director of Speech & Debate at Hutchinson Community College, I wanted to invite all high school speech and debate students in the state of Kansas to consider joining the Hutchinson CC Speech & Debate program. In that regard, I would like to announce our HCC Speech & Debate Open House, Monday, March 3rd, 2008 at 6:30 PM in the Parker Student Union.

More information is below, but if you have any interest or questions you'd like to ask, please email me, Andrew Kemp, at kempa@hutchcc.edu. You may also call my office phone at (620) 694-2460 or my cell phone at (541) 514-2249.

We have a large scholarship budget, with the potential for full tuition and book scholarships. We have won Novice Nationals two years in a row and have a record of consistent success in speech and parliamentary debate.

We welcome students with policy experience to consider doing parliamentary debate, which is increasingly using policy a framework to structure the debate.

Our travel budget is very large, with meal money and hotels paid for by the college. We have two faculty coaching positions and strong institutional support for the program.

We can provide you with a great start on your college education. You can spend two years earning credits towards a Bachelor's Degree, while having your education costs reduced by joining a successful speech and debate program.

At Hutchinson Community College, it is our goal to provide competitive opportunities and a solid education while preparing you to transfer to a four year institution. Our goal is help you gain upward mobility educationally, professionally, and financially.

Thanks for listening and do not hesitate to contact me with further questions.

I imagine this will be my last post on cx...

Seriously, you should consider going to Washburn and doing parli. But it's not hip, you say, it's not cool, I don't want to be embarrassed in front of my friends in the lunchroom! W/e, get over yourself, some day you'll realize that doing debate is never all that hip or cool. Keep the hate to yourself, unless of course you want to talk about it in person at some point, in which case I'll be glad to re-educate you. Meanwhile, we have a pretty baller program that travels the national circuit and has two teams in the top 10 (http://npte.debateaddict.com/unleashed/rank.php?npteyear=2008). Parli is evolving very rapidly to be a cool activity that incentivizes the skills learned in KS in particular (speedy talkin', knowledge of critical stuff, politics, theory, impact analysis). We travel to cool places like Berkeley, Whitman, Bellingham, Wyoming, San Diego, Tacoma, Denver, Long Beach, etc... They pay for all your meals at nice places (even dessert). The team is growing and pulling in people from out of state but we still would prefer to have a core of Kansans.

The scholarships offered by the team are pretty good and the school gives away a lot of money to KS kids and is cheaper than anywhere out of state and a lot of places in state. The academics are top-notch (esp the poli sci, history, and philosophy programs).

If you're interested, don't contact me, contact the director of forensics, kevin.olearyATwashburn.edu

is there really something a college looks for in a debater for requirements such as state place or so on for you to be considered for a scholarship.

this is probably vague, and i'm sorry for that but the answer is passion and potential

lol what about fort hayes? that coach seemed pretty baller in the video.

any coach thats willing to flash anyone has my heart.

just messing; but for reals what about Truman State in missouri anyone know anything?

• Downvote 3

lol what about fort hayes? that coach seemed pretty baller in the video.

any coach thats willing to flash anyone has my heart.

just messing; but for reals what about Truman State in missouri anyone know anything?

Kill yourself.

EDIT: That was harsh, I'm sorry. I get aggressive and kind of violent late a night. 3:40 am wtf?

Edited by Felix Hoenikker

I may have missed Kentucky or Georgia on the list.

You might also think about looking for debate scholarships at Western Kentucky University--which I believe does parlimentary debate.

Actually checking out the Parli website is pretty smart.

I think the St. Marx Tournament still has a recruitment area for debaters--so you can pick up some college literature and potentially even meet some coaches/debaters there.

Edited by nathan_debate

I may have missed Kentucky or Georgia on the list.

You might also think about looking for debate scholarships at Western Kentucky University--which I believe does parlimentary debate.

Actually checking out the Parli website is pretty smart.

I think the St. Marx Tournament still has a recruitment area for debaters--so you can pick up some college literature and potentially even meet some coaches/debaters there.

WKU no longer does parli anymore. They dropped it this year.