bRubaie

College Debate Scholarships

There are a lot of great oppurtunities out there for ambitious and hard-working debaters. Below are contacts for all the programs I know which offer scholarships, in alphabetical order;

Records (useful for determining where squads travel, how they perform, etc.)

http://www.debateresults.com

Baylor University

Matt Gerber <matt_gerber27 at hotmail.com>

Emporia State University

Samuel Mauer <chairman.maurer at gmail.com>

James Taylor <jtedebate at yahoo.com>

Kelly Thompson < schoolnerd58 at hotmail.com>

Idaho State University

John Foy <jfoy at regis.edu>

University of Iowa

Dr. Dave Hingstman <dbhingst at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>

Scott Varda <scottvarda at hotmail.com>

Paul Bellus <paul-bellus at uiowa.edu>

Kansas City Kansas Community College

Darren Elliot <delliott@kckcc.edu>

Kansas University

Scott Harris <sharris at ku.edu> (don't get discouraged if he takes some time to get back to you, he keeps very busy)

Kansas State University

Justin Green <kstatedebate at gmail.com>

Missouri State University

Eric Morris <EricMorris at missouristate.edu>

University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC)

Matt Vega <vegam at umkc.edu>

More available at http://studo.umkc.edu/debate/

University of Texas at Dallas

Chris Burk <crb012000 at utdallas.edu>

Wake Forest University

http://groups.wfu.edu/debate/Recruiting/Recruiting.html

Wichita State University

Jeff Jarman <jeffrey.jarman at wichita.edu>

Wyoming University

Matt Stannard, <stannard at uwyo.edu>

(I apologize for any omissions, please help me fill in any holes below. If any of these programs want their contact information removed, though I'm not sure why you would, please let me know and I'll remove it.)

Edited by bRubaie
additions requested
  • Downvote 1

If you wanna debate George Mason would probably be a good place for you,

It's highly funded, I mean, seriously funded, with scholarships available. If anybody is interested PM me, I check relatively often and can hook you up with info on coaches contact information.

• Downvote 1

KU's great. But it's easier to get in touch with someone on the squad and/or come to visit if you want to talk to Harris. Just an f.y.i. If you have any questions about the squad just email me.

Washburn University (parli/NFA-LD)

Steve Doubledee <steve.doubledee at washburn.edu>

Or you can always email me, see profile.

I'm sure Brian meant cx debate. You know, the real kind of debate that doesn't suck.

Keep your parli/LD drama out of here. :P

I don't know. William Jewell College, finals Washburn vs Drury, Drury wins, Finals of Creighton University, Drury vs. Creighton, Creighton wins. Resistance has been doing ok for some schools.

We are just going to ignore Wyoming for the moment :).

Don't make me assimilate you.

Look, he made a parli joke. Oh, you are so cute.

He'll be even cuter when/if we assimilate him.

But now back to contact information...

He'll be even cuter when/if we assimilate him.

But now back to contact information...

I'll be cute with or without college. Quite frankly, I'm the cutest guy I know.

KSU is always open to new debaters coming, we are a young squad and there is lots of room for you to do what you want and be sucessful on our squad. If you want to meet the squad or visit a tourney with us contact Justin (e-mail above) or Rafi A(rafi@ksu.edu) or me (brettf@ksu.edu) any of us would be more than happy to help you in anyway we can as well as show you around campus if you visit.

Thanks,

KSU Debate

PS - Rubaie great idea

Wake Forest is also interested in recruiting Kansas debaters. James Morrill, Kurt Woolford and myself are recent Kansas transplants at Wake. For more info, see our recruiting page at: http://groups.wfu.edu/debate/Recruiting/Recruiting.html and direct questions to our director of debate, Dr. Al Louden. I am very glad that I went to Wake Forest and would not trade my debate experience here for anything (I even stayed to coach for two more years!).

Thanks,

Brad Hall

So Wake still wants KS kids DESPITE those 3 names? Amazing! : )

In all seriousness Al and Ross are two fine people and coaches. And Brad was a pretty decent debater! ; )

chief

Sterling College is offering massive scholarships for anyone interested in competing in parliamentary or lincoln douglas debate. So if $8,000 to $10,000 for having a blast doing debate sounds good - you should think about competing for Sterling College. Team is currently 13 people, large travel budget and competitive at every level. Participating in NPDA, AFA and PKD for debate and forensics. Pick and chose what tournaments you want to attend. Just talk to those of us on the team with any questions (wfarrow@sterling.edu) or contact coach Troyer at (ktroyer@sterling.edu)

thx. well there goes my college debating career. never been much of a speed guy

The transition is possible. You just have to commit.

I don't know what kind of scholarships they give, but I know it's a very expensive school. They only do parliamentary debate and they do it quite well, with the NPTE national champions this year. Their coaching staff (Gina Lane and Chuck Walts) is really good. I think they maybe give pretty good scholarships for academics as well, but still super expensive.

They give out fairly decent scholarships but it comes down to experience/commitment to the team/performance/ etc. etc. My old debate partner goes there (but doesn't compete) and I know she receieved a lot of scholarship money but is still paying over 10k to go there....yay private schools

University of Missouri-Kansas City

Matt Vega: vegam <at> umkc.edu

This is Matt Vega's last year, however. I'll update the contact info when the new coach has been chosen.

Let me hype up my school for a bit.

Everyone who's serious about debating in college should give good consideration to Baylor University. Over the past 4 years, 3 of the 8 full tuition scholarship debaters have come from Kansas (Including John Cook, who will be joining us in the fall). We are a nationally competitive team. Everybody on the team travels consistently. The University takes great care of the debate team financially, and we receive a ton of support from the faculty here. We have two amazing head coaches, Dr. Matt Gerber and (newly hired) Dr. Scott Varda, plus a host of assistants to ensure that everyone on the team receives coaching.

Aside from all of the great things about the institution, the people here are awesome, intelligent, and strive to win big. Keep us in mind.

Every year we have two full tuition scholarships (this is pretty bank considering that Baylor is a private school with tuition coming in at over 20k a year), plus a host of other smaller scholarships that can combine with the plethora of academic scholarships the university gives out.

For more information, go to http://www.baylordebate.com

or contact matt_gerber@baylor.edu

or alex_mccoy@baylor.edu

Sic Em Bears

This is Matt Vega's last year, however. I'll update the contact info when the new coach has been chosen.

It now seems this may not be true.

Either way, I encourage you all to look at UMKC if you're looking to debate. I know it is a Missouri School but the squad has great out-of-state tuition waivers (read: Big Scholarships) available if you prove you are willing to commit. There are also scholarships on top of that for debate and academic performance. As of now, we're a very, very young squad and pretty small so there is a ton of room to grow. The age of the squad means that even as a first and second year you will travel a lot and to some bigger name tournaments. We took three first years and a second year to Wake a little while ago.

Vega is good at responding, but you'll get a better sense of what the squad itself is really like if you either a) visit or B) PM or IM a squad member.