Debate is life

Senior Corps

well my partner and i usually run constitutionality w/ framework or a states cp...it really depends on how you run them though.

well my partner and i usually run constitutionality w/ framework or a states cp...it really depends on how you run them though.

hows it unconst?

heh we have cards that read that senior corps is supporting some churches ...so by promoting senior corps you promote that specific religion...and thats a violation of seperation of church and state

• Downvote 1

What is a good strat against Senior Corps and Boomer Corps?

Oh I ran this in a round.

Senior Corps=people being healthy=people don't need medication=not buying pharmeceuticals=killing pharmecuetical companies=killing economy.

I know there are a ton of internal links, but most senior corps cases involve making the seniors healthier, so you dont really need the first three

Vadej, that claim is ridiculous. If the Senior Corps is already part of the government, "separation of church and state" was "violated" when it became a government agency. Doing plan really doesn't affect that.

Basically the cards say something to the affect of Senior corps opperates out of some lutheran churches and helps their people more than any other religions thus creating favoritism. Its kind of funny because as it stands almost all volunteer organizations work somewhat out of religious establishments and you cant make all volunteer organizations work out of completely secular establishments but no one we've hit has made that argument so...=]

:Bow I guess that would make sense.

I don't know.

I am trying to prepare for my first actual debate instead of my tenchnical first debate where I got thrown in aand still have no idea what my case was about.

That was no fun.

I plan on winning this year.

Just one.

Please one.

:Bow

the aff will claim in the ageism advantage is that euthanasia is rascist and dehumanizes, but read cards that say euthanasia is the only way to control overpopulation

not all senior corps affs run an ageism adv.

we dont :D

the arguments i've hit the most with our aff are spending, tix, states cp, and statism K. those are probably your best bet. you could always run malthus or something though ;) . giving old people rights = extinction.

Originally Posted by Synergy viewpost.gif

T-Senior Corps don't exist (from UMich)

Could someone explain this T to me? I don't understand it. They say Senior Corps doesn't exist in law so Congress can't pass legislation, right? But there's already legislation. They already have a federal budget, federal guidelines, etc. etc. I just don't get it.

once again, the SC are growing in the status quo solving all of these impacts. there's no evidence 100k people is key to solve, at best it's like "100K seniors would help solve better..."

This is the reason why SC aff is so good. The SQ may be increasing the # of people in SC. But as long as there are age and income requirements and as long as they get the same amount of funding instead of getting more, the potential for more solvency isn't there. Removing those req's/addin more $ will increase the # of people in SC a lot faster and solve better than the SQ. It is much like the PC aff in this respect.

more people = more solvency (provided that the organization itself isn't suffering from the management side of things)

i think the civil sociey adv. are better than youre making them out to be, but that's no big deal. just personal opinion i guess.

also, there are different ways to run the dehum. adv. it's not necessarily about getting people into the senior corps. it's about getting them OUT of places like, for instance, nursing homes. and the only way to do that you would read is to remove the income barrier, or whatever, so they can get in senior corps. then you read cards that say active seniors are healthier, so they wouldn't be in nursing homes if they were active in sc.

and, if you happened to have cards saying nursing homes are a center of biopolitical control, then maybe you could run biopower as an adv. also. :)

my school has a sc aff, fyi

they're not necessarily rich. under the current restrictions you have to be basically dirt poor to serve.

and just because someone has money doesn't mean they have people to take care of them.

and just because someone has money doesn't mean they have people to take care of them.

Yeah but the rich are able to afford live-in caretakers etc.

Agamben or Heidegger

T-Senior Corps don't exist (from UMich)

Always Agamben

States always works, its not glamorous but it really does work.

Originally Posted By Jimmy_Page

Yeah but the rich are able to afford live-in caretakers etc.

I reiterate: these people are not rich. The current federal income restriction states that you must make less than 125% of the poverty line. The current poverty line for a single person (as in not a family - only one person working) is $9,800. That means that to work in SC currently, you must make less than $12,250 a year.

How many individuals making $1300 a year do you think can afford live in caretakers?

so removing the barrier to allow rich people into the senior corps is going to take seniors out of nursing homes

think about it, what would RICH seniors with INCOMES be doing in nursing homes anyways..

Plan does not turn nursing home residents into caretakers. Plan attracts able-bodied retirees into Senior Companions to care for those who need assistance to live independently to avoid the alternative of nursing home care. Those without resources to afford private assistance end up in nursing homes because Medicaid in most states won't pay for private, in-home assistance. Their only alternative is to go into nursing homes, which Medicaid does pay for, in order to receive care.

I've heard way too many rounds where debaters get confused about what the plan does. It does not make people unable to feed themselves jump out of bed to work for others. That is not how the plan reduces nursing home residency.

Spending links really hard (seniorCorps=old people being happy=live longer=take out more social security=destroys economy).

I have a card that says the $9 billion plan requires to achieve solvency produces $255 billion in savings to Medicaid.

We're happy to debate the morality of advocating that seniors should die to save the economy.

oh, well what would you run against it then....

I'm at a loss for non-K arguments. well states cp... but affs are probably prepped out on that

Affs will be prepped for everything if they're any good. I think the states cp is a very reasonable option. You have good solvency evidence and its one of those cps' you can take the time to prep out much the same way you would with an aff case. You could always go critical and run Agamben or Foucault or whatever, but states can be pretty strategic as well.

States isn't a good argument against a case like that, because you don't capture their actor; the states can't exactly take control of the Senior Corps. You'd have to make the argument that the states have some comparable senior citizen program, which they probably don't.