phonicsaddict

Why do all novice D/As suck

Most areas that limit novice case discussion are generally doing that so that novices learn how to debate a few key arguments well. Even though the arguments you're given are probably bad arguments (but in all fairness, there really is no "good" argument on the national service topic either), keep in mind that the argument quality all depends upon the debaters running it.

Spending can have numerous impact modules, including fiscal discipline, economy, volunteerism, war, etc. There are TONS of areas a spending disad could encompass. Elections are limited only by the imagination of those running it as well. Even though you may not like the link arguments on those disads (and many would agree with you that they're bad links), they're disads that get ran quite frequently and are good, nontheless, to prep against.

The goal of argument limitation is to prevent rounds where a novice team reads their quirky plan, and the 1NC blazes out 8 offcase that the novice team has never heard of in their life. Chances say that these kids don't know what a "Zizek" is yet. Rounds like these don't educate kids because they aren't learning how to answer arguments - instead, many of these kids become discouraged because they're consistently pummeled with arguments they didn't even know existed, and they see the effort of prepping against them as being fruitless.

A good way to go to maybe give a little more leniency in the arguments novices are able to present is maybe talk with the head peoples of your district and tell them that debates are becoming repetitive and dull. Maybe offer suggestions of other arguments that could be added that wouldn't overdo most teams but would still provide a challenge to most.

I can see that it makes sense keep Ks and high level theory out of novice rounds, but the rules should not limit novices from coming up with their own original arguments. I learned more as a novice by writing my own Aff case, CP, and briefs than by regurgitating cases and arguments that were just handed to me. If you can't link a generic or canned D/A to a case then it's pretty much useless. You should at least be allowed to modify, improve, or update it. If the rules don't allow you to replace or update outdated arguments like midterm elections, they're insane.

• Downvote 1

In my area, varsities and novices run the same cases, CPs, Ts, Ks, and DAs. Their cards and taglines may be identical, but varsities more often back up what they read with better analysis and clarification than novices.

Debaters really should go through their briefs, especially the ones issued by camps/leagues, to check for inconsistencies, contradictions, awkward organization, and weak evidence that does not really support the argument or tagline. A card that does not clearly support the argument or contradicts it should be completely removed or replaced by better evidence from a different source. Rearrange taglines and cards so that there is a logical and smooth transition from one to the next; it should tell a story. Doing this will give you a better understanding of your arguments. The round should not be the only place where you read your cards.

A good team will ask to see the cards their opponent just read during their cross-x and hunt down cards that are irrelevant or contradictory to the claims being made during their prep time. When they get up to speak, they will point out those flaws and make themselves look like they understand the other team's arguments better than the other team themselves.

Back to the original poster's concern, does GA allow novices to edit the DAs they are given?

Against Peace Corps, you could run a soft power DA.

I run Peace Corps with no soft power advantage.

Anytime i face it, i prefer analytical arguments. Cards against softpower aren't effective to me.

There aren't too many DA's that can be run against national service programs that dont include the military.

yeah, there are, there are tons, you be quiet

• Upvote 1

It may not be his choice, I know my coach doesn't let novices move to JV until they have broken in two tournaments.

And if the DA's suck, don't lose aff rounds.

that last line is your answer, I was novice but now I went up to JV PDQ, but our D/As were pretty good.

I run Peace Corps with no soft power advantage.

Anytime i face it, i prefer analytical arguments. Cards against softpower aren't effective to me.

Why no soft power advantage???

Have it now, changed the aff. I had aids and poverty, dropped aids because we got some good cards and solvency for softpower.

im novice i usually run nuke subs along with spending since they go hand and hand

then if its military i run recruiting tradeoff

nonmil i run immigration

if the case is like a draft then iran strike with it

1 - if u think all ur disads suck, why dont u ask ur varsity for 'better' ones.

2 - take them home and READ them, once you do, and u understand them better, they will be more fun to run, and you'll win on them a lot more. one of my novices went OUT OF HIS WAY to learn a new kritik, then asked us if his uderstanding of it was correct.

3 - have practice debates. they allow you to get more used to the answers that other teams will be putting up on ur DA.

4 - if you think that ur DAs suck, imagine what it would be like to have 5 T violations, 2 DA, a CP, and then one expando of ON CASE stuff as all of ur neg equipment. thats what my novice year was like.

hang with it, the varsity year is a HELL of alot more fun then the novice one.

• Upvote 1