jbhman2007

College Discussion Next Year

Azstud is pretty much dead wrong about his characterization of many of the programs he mentioned.

Since I attend Vermont I'll start with us - first of all not everyone does crazy performance or is even critical. Only one team does performance and they aren't close to the top team. The team you're referencing that you saw was only at that tournament because our top teams were at Harvard. Vermont has qualified to the NDT for the past couple of years, sometimes as the top team at the district tournament. Also we've beat BC a whole bunch. We counterplan, run DAs, T, politics, kritiks, impact turn debates etc. Our coaches are from Texas in D3 land and our novices have a very straight up affirmative.

Binghampton - also qualified a team to the NDT for a while - they are entirely straight up - big stick 1ac - the performance team you are referencing is one of their much lower teams

Every other team you mention in the Northeast also has a mix of argument styles including Harvard who plays images and a Dartmouth team that is very critical.

If you apply to any of these schools you will be fine. They all have a variety of arguments. If you like policy debates then none of these schools won't be able to provide you with that. If you like to run kritiks then all of these schools (except for BC) can help you with that also. And if you want to really do something funky you probably can find a place for that to. Ultimately when picking a school to debate at you probably want the option to run a variety of arguments. At each of these schools you have that option.

I am glad to hear from another debater from the Northeast.

I apologize obviously I'm not going to doubt you with Vermont. I know you have good teams, I thought that was what even good teams ran. But yes you are right perhaps that is while your better teams were at Harvard. In general I think it is safe to say that schools in the Northeast tend to be more crtical and schools in the south tend to be more policy. In California for instance schools in the south (other than USC) are more critical and schools in the north are more policy (in general).

Sorry about that. I will delete most of my last post.

So....do you think there is a college out there willing to accept a kid with not so good grades, but high test scores and debate records?

So....do you think there is a college out there willing to accept a kid with not so good grades, but high test scores and debate records?

yes

does anyone know if any UC's (University of California) give scholarships for debate? If so, where can I learn more?

Ok so since a lot of other college people (some I know like the guys from B.C. are posting) I thought I would put in a plug for my school. Although before I get to that, I would like to say the comments here about Binghamton and B.C. as a member of a squad who competes against them are very true. Both solid squads who send people to the NDT regularly and are trying to do even better, so you should definitely consider some of these other schools. That being said, I urge some people to check out NDT District VII. I debate for Liberty (yeah I know conservative Christian it's probably not for every single person) but on the other hand. We have a huge program tons of funding (last I heard still one of the top funded programs) we could use good national circuit high school debaters. Benefits of Liberty are it's cheap for a private liberal arts school, anyone gets in (we have open enrollment) and most people who have an SAT score at all can get good scholarships. Besides that the debate team has some scholarships especially for quality debaters. Liberty is probably known for winning sweepstakes championships, but the squad is always trying to advance into the high levels of varsity competition. We've been sending people to the NDT all but 1 year I think out of the last ten. There are a lot of great college programs out there that have already been discussed on these boards but I encourage you to check out all your options. I got onto Liberty's team applying pretty late in the process (as in mid of spring semester). Anyway I just want to reiterate what others have said that there are tons of schools that need debaters just wanted to point out another one.

Yes, Ross G. is correct. Liberty (like BC) has a very strong debate program with tons...I mean tons of debaters (unlike BC). And as both of us have debated many of the mentioned teams, it is relatively safe to say that many northern teams mentioned are more critical (with BC being the exception).

Liberty and BC have a unique friendship or at least I think so (liberty might not think the same) because the rounds we hit are the few rounds that you can really be sure to hear a nice straight-up debate with the exception of that one time liberty pulled off a performance...but i refuse to talk about that any further. It is not uncommon to hit 3 different liberty teams in prelims of a normal tournament. Yes, it's a lot of fun...I love those debates.

P.S.

Remember me? You got the better out of me at Richmond round 7...i am the BC debater who debated with a novice (in that he hasn't done policy before). We won the JCU tournament in JV where you went varsity.

Accepted early to Columbia - still feeling out the debate situation

I'm also accepted early to Columbia. I'll probably continue debate, if I feel up to it.

how conservative is liberty

They had a rule against interracial dating until a few years ago. :eek:

They had a rule against interracial dating until a few years ago. :eek:

I have never read anything more troubling and hilarious. Keep the tradition strong, Liberty!

I have never read anything more troubling and hilarious. Keep the tradition strong, Liberty!

What about interethnic relationships do you find funny?

Concordia College in Moorhead Minnesota has a great debate program consistently in the top twenty in both speech and debate in the nation. They have made it to the NDT every year for the past eight, also making to elimination rounds. As a private school they have tons of money in scholarships including free rides for academic, service and grade purposes as well as lucrative debate scholarship. Concordia College is one of only five schools to be honored with the Senator Paul Simon Award for Campus Internationalization by NAFSA due to its international programs, languages, politics and business courses. If you have questions about the program please email:

sternhag@cord.edu - head debate coach

short@cord.edu - assistant debate coach, former debater and grad assist. at uni

csdi@cord.edu - general information