Penci

textcomp/funccomp

to not be text comp, the CP text must include all of the words in the plan

func comp just means the plan, or the perm, is less disirable than the CP

• Downvote 1

im attempting to clarify since theres no definitive answer on this thread

textual comp-plan plus something, perm not a good idea, competes through net bens

functional comp-can be plan minus something? does same thing as plan but excludes something i think? so perm=severance?

im confused, if someone can clarify this some more it would be great

Although there seems to be differing views on the differences between text vs. function,

Anything can be functionally competitive as long as it has net benefits or 'competes through its function'

Whereas textual competition is something that competes through its text, ie. the combination of the text of the plan and cp do not make sense.

Anyone else wanna take another crack at explaining this? or correcting me.

• Upvote 1

Although there seems to be differing views on the differences between text vs. function,

Anything can be functionally competitive as long as it has net benefits or 'competes through its function'

Whereas textual competition is something that competes through its text, ie. the combination of the text of the plan and cp do not make sense.

Anyone else wanna take another crack at explaining this? or correcting me.

under ur def, cant a CP be both textually and functionally competitive? is that how many CPs work?

under ur def, cant a CP be both textually and functionally competitive? is that how many CPs work?

yes a counterplan can be both textually and functionally competitive and a lot of good ones are.

Whoever is the "bullshit police" that neg repped me with "This is bullshit, and it's wrong. DON'T post wrong bullshit^Bullshit police" feel free to correct my views on text comp vs. functional comp. I admit that I don't know much about the forms of competition. Most of these views are the way text/funct comp arguments have been explained to me at camp. I also believe just like with "dispositionality" there are multiple potential meanings of text/funct comp and the only really important thing is how you articulate your perspective in round, ie. your interpretation. I also don't gain any "pride" or "selfrespect" through this forum, my only intention is to help people in any way i can. If you gain satisfaction through, i guess you would call this "flaming," feel free to continue although I would think you had far better things to do if you were an expert theory debater. I would also expect a debater to use more appropriate language when trying to express an argument as well as constructive criticism instead of resorting to namecalling.

yes a counterplan can be both textually and functionally competitive and a lot of good ones are.

EDIT: i got the same neg rep magic. lol. someone needs to expand their vocabulary to more than "bullshit"

functional competition is better in the 1NC. If the neg tries to clarify in later speeches, its abusive so you go with textual comp or the original functional advocacy from the 1NC