Mezriss

Gay Marriage Counterplan

Is this a wise strategy against DADT? It worked well at camp but i'd like some other opinions.

I ran it with n/b of security and patriarchy.

Sure. It would have probably caught a lot of teams off guard too...if you hadn't posted it on cross-x. :-D

true, bu I'm not big into the whole CP thing and I think this will be more useful. Besides, what good debaters use cross-x?:D

Naturally, on any competition-by-net-benefits CP, you had better make sure that your DAs are strong enough to stand up for themselves. If you're losing on the stuff that your entire strategy depends upon, chances are, you didn't prepare properly.

Personally, I think CPs w/o mutual exclusivity are bad ideas to begin with, unless you're not going with it as your a-strat, or as long as it's meant to prove some T abuse story.

Any decent team is going to have blocks to this counterplan, there's probably some better counterplans out there. If you do plan to run this a lot make sure you have answers to all of the arguments you think they will make, as well as overviews, short and long, so you can choose for your time allocation, if you don't it might be hard to win.

Any decent team is going to have blocks to this counterplan, there's probably some better counterplans out there. If you do plan to run this a lot make sure you have answers to all of the arguments you think they will make, as well as overviews, short and long, so you can choose for your time allocation, if you don't it might be hard to win.

You're right, better CPs exist. However, you always have to have a generic CP ready for every debate, and obviously States plus Federalism isn't an option. At this point, it looks like the prime candidate against DADT, at least until a more popular alternative emerges.

Then again, DADT is so rife with Kritikal and Topical ground that a CP sometimes is just best as a time skew.

some reasons this counterplan might not be too strategic:

-isn't really competitive: there's no internal net benefits to the counterplan that won't go away the moment the 2AC says the word perm

-doesn't solve much of the case, especially if the aff has advantages like military readiness or lesbian baiting. In that situation (especially with a perm) the whole aff becomes a disad against the CP and you might as well have just run your disads straight-up without a CP - so it's mostly a waste of time.

-It really seems to link much harder to politics than the dadt aff does. I don't know exactly how I would do it, since i'm not debating in high school, but that seems like a can of worms it might be dangerous to open.

some reasons this counterplan might not be too strategic:

-isn't really competitive: there's no internal net benefits to the counterplan that won't go away the moment the 2AC says the word perm

-doesn't solve much of the case, especially if the aff has advantages like military readiness or lesbian baiting. In that situation (especially with a perm) the whole aff becomes a disad against the CP and you might as well have just run your disads straight-up without a CP - so it's mostly a waste of time.

-It really seems to link much harder to politics than the dadt aff does. I don't know exactly how I would do it, since i'm not debating in high school, but that seems like a can of worms it might be dangerous to open.

Well, obviously, you don't run it alone so that it can be permed w/o linking DAs in the first place. Even w/something simple, like adventurism, C-M R, and Militarism K, if the Aff perms, they still link to both DAs and the K. The mere fact that they increase nbumber of persons serving in the military (which, of course, you can run as a T violation to make them hard-link to your DAs) is enough to make sure of an Iran invasion, loss of relations, etc.

You would be able to solve the Affirmative harms, especially if you ran on-case on the terrorism advantage and simply negated that (or a hegemony) with a militarism case turn or some hegemony bad evidence. Win that, and the Aff is left only with

Trust me, both are contraversial...but if you have the evidence and/or analytics to back it up, it's easy to make a case either way. Or, you could just run politix with a reverse scenario (as in, gay marriage contraversial, this drains Bush's capital, which we all know he needs to sign the Inida Deal...but the India deal is actually bad, and the Affirmative gets ut passed, etc, blah, nuclear war).

It's obviously not competitive, but that isn't the point. If you roll with advantage cp's, it's definitely a good one to go with for solving for heterosexism. Plenty of good evidence.

If youre gonna run the gay marriage cp, make sure you have a block to mutual exclusivity is good

Also, if I were you I would run it with a militarism k or military DA like iran strikes or intra-service rivalry

If youre gonna run the gay marriage cp, make sure you have a block to mutual exclusivity is good

Also, if I were you I would run it with a militarism k or military DA like iran strikes or intra-service rivalry

It's not mutually exclusive at all, actually, and no Aff would be stupid enough to say "non-mutual exclusive CPs are bad..." when all they would have to do is perm.

Ideally, though, that's what the NBs are for - the perm still links.

I run a DADT aff and I came against this DA last weekend. A perm beats it in almost any circumstances. Having any military specific advantages also makes it non-competitive.

This counterplan also links to heteronormativity. There are a lot of authors who explain that gay marriage is just an attempt for gays to assimilate into a failed heterosexual institution -> heterosexualization of gays is bad. blah blah.

If you are going neg, don't run this cp.

I run a DADT aff and I came against this DA last weekend. A perm beats it in almost any circumstances. Having any military specific advantages also makes it non-competitive.

This counterplan also links to heteronormativity. There are a lot of authors who explain that gay marriage is just an attempt for gays to assimilate into a failed heterosexual institution -> heterosexualization of gays is bad. blah blah.

If you are going neg, don't run this cp.

DADT links to heteronormativity just as much as Gay marriage

Gay marriage can't solve for any military advantages. (AKA the only reason I don't ever run it.)

it can't solve for military advantages and a lot of teams running dadt have cards that say military is the lynchpin of societal discrimination, must be solved for first. it is a pretty sweet card against the gay marriage cp. and gay marriage is easily permed.

DADT links to heteronormativity just as much as Gay marriage

No. DADT is state imposed discrimination. DADT forces queers to stay in the 'closet' and thus silences queer dissent and eliminates the queer identity. That promotes the idea that heterosexuality is the only legitimate sexual orientation. Removing a law that in essence denies people the right to exist, or at least to be open about themselves isn't promoting heteronormativity, rather it is giving people the very right to oppose a heteronormative worldview.

Gay marriage on the other hand, solidifies the heterosexual institution of monogomous marriage as the dominant lifestyle. Rather than promoting alternative lifestyles, the gay marriage CP just assimliates queers into white-picket-fence style relationships.

Gay Marriage links way harder to heteronormativity than the aff does. and any good Aff would be able to prove that the plan solves for heteronormativity.

It's not mutually exclusive at all, actually.

Are you serious? Its not mutually exclusive? Give me one reason why you cant repeal DADT and allow gay marriage at the same time.

no Aff would be stupid enough to say "non-mutual exclusive CPs are bad..." when all they would have to do is perm.

Ideally, though, that's what the NBs are for - the perm still links.

The ideal NB's of the Gay marriage CP are militarism/iran strikes/adventurism and other military K's/DA's. In no way does a perm way solve for these.

Are you serious? Its not mutually exclusive? Give me one reason why you cant repeal DADT and allow gay marriage at the same time.

My bad, I misread what you said.

the gay marriage CP just assimliates queers into white-picket-fence style relationships.

yes and lifting dadt just assimilates queers into the war machine. there is very good evidence (lehring from '03 is the last article i saw) saying that this also paints a happy face on the military-homophobia runs much deeper than presidential directives.

i hear what all the above people are saying, but gay marriage CP is pretty awesome in my opinion. it would solve a lot better, just because you don't have the militarism issues.